I have used other cameras. I have seen improvements and new cameras on the market. I can’t say whether Wyze is a contender or a pretender, but I do have my concerns, having bought into the hype … maybe a bit too soon.
What Wyze has:
- Size - love the small camera
- Price - love the reasonable price
- Ease of installation - despite some detractors in the forums, all six of my cams connected like a charm (once I learned the sweet spot of QR code recognition)
- Cute camera that may attract some consumers who otherwise wouldn't buy a DIY camera
- Geofencing - really, you didn't include one of the most useful options for recording, security & privacy? Schedules would be a start but geofencing and scheduling combined is the set of tools that should be present on any DIY camera. Sure you can use the Wemo trick, but that more than doubles the cost of the setup.
- Quality mounting options - sure the magnet is cute the VHB tape on the back of the metal disk is strong, but bump the cord once (or have you cat do it by accident) and you lose your viewing angle
- Web or Desktop access to video - I have discussed this in other threads as a non-starter for phone app developers with little to know experience with other market spaces
- Batch download, delete options
- Separate album, gallery, folder for downloaded recordings - I hate that my album (android user) gets flooded with clips that I never wanted to save, just view
- Intelligent detection algorithms - Zones, learning motion/sound detection, etc. Canary had this over two years ago
- Coherent development plan - releasing a v2 so quickly after initial market release is insulting, infuriating and brings into question the ability of this company to plan long term.
- Outdoor cameras - or at least not some 3D printed item from a guy on the internet you don't know and who has no affiliation with Wyze
- Quality coding - I have found so many issues with my cameras in a brief month that can be attributed to bad coding and lack of understanding of real world use that I question the processes by which this company develops their tech.