Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

Thanks…I apologize for asking that on this post but Blue iris support team has failed me so far.

Another thing I haven’t been able to fix or figure out is how to make the video smoother.
What is mean is… when someone is walking, if look in blue iris, it doesn’t look smooth as if it was in 10 fps compared to if I am watching on the Wyze app or in TinyCam… Tinycam and Wyze app look identical, very smooth…but in Blu Iris is missing fps… is there a way to fix that?

I’ve already checked the camera settings and it says 20 fps.

'hard to answer without knowing more about your setup, but FWIW, my V3 looks pretty good in Blue Iris…I’m not seeing dropped frames of un-smoothness. What is your Blue Iris machine? Does it have a hard-wired Ethernet connection? What kind of CPU utilization are you seeing? And then how are you viewing? At the Blue Iris console, or remotely? If remotely, then how are you connected? And what app are you using?

It might help you to think of UI3 (or the BI mobil app) as being a remote control for your main Blue Iris machine. You can do a lot with the remote control, but some of the richer features and configuration needs to be done at the actual Blue Iris console. The software has MANY features, so there certainly is a learning curve. The good news is that being as popular as it is, there are also a great many tutorial videos on YouTube.

I am watching at the actual console. It’s an AMD FX6300 (6 core CPU) and 8 gigs of Ram.
Hardwired. It’s the same PC I use to view TinyCam - CPU utilization says 46% which is not high in my opinion. It’s not that is skipping frames…it just doesn’t look smooth… you know when you watch something at 5-10 fps? - that’s what it looks like… with TinyCam or even iSpy, it looks like it plays at full fps.

Don’t know where to send this suggestions so I thought I would put it here in my reply to you. I know WYZE is always looking for a way to generate EXTA income, so why not open up a “WYZE Garage” so-to-speak. This would be a place for WYZE owners to send in their existing WYZE camera’s for repairs or upgrades. One of the ‘upgrades’ that WYZE could offer is adding out-door antennas to the WYZE camera V3. There are videos on the internet showing people adding antennas to the outside of their WYZE Camera V3 to increase range (the internal camera antenna is pretty much useless after a several feet), and this would be a GREAT way to make customers happy, and add another income stream for WYZE. You could even offer different antennas, of different prices, as part of your service. Plus, I am sure there are many other things & services the “WYZE Garage” could offer. Hope you folks take the advice, because if not, someone else will offer the service soon.

It shouldn’t be ignored that the V3 is doing stuff that is toxic to Blue Iris, so perhaps it just can’t be smooth or otherwise good until Wyze addresses those issues.

But ignoring that for the moment, I’d like to see the effect you’re describing, if you can figure out how to upload a clip somewhere.

I know that with most IP cameras, quality is directly affected by available bandwidth. If I give a camera all the bandwidth it wants, then it’s completely smooth, but as I decrease the bandwidth, the artifacts increase, and one artifact that I’ve noticed in particular is a pulsing effect that coincides with the keyframe interval. So, for example, with a camera that is set for 15 FPS, it is very common to set the keyframe interval to 30, which requires the camera to create a completely new frame every 2 seconds. If the bandwidth is adequate, then the new keyframe is imperceptible, but if there’s not enough bandwidth, then that new frame is going to look degraded, Sometimes there is a delay associated with the new frame as well. The quality gradually improves with each new frame, until the next keyframe, when it starts all over again.

With “normal” IP cameras, all of this configuration information is easily accessible via the camera’s built-in web interface. With the V3, almost none of it can be accessed, but Blue Iris shows that the bitrate is typically less than 70 kB/s. In my experience, that is a very low number for a 2MP camera, and all the more so for a camera that doesn’t support H.265. For comparison, most of my 4MP cameras average around 250 kB/s. Those cameras have twice as many pixels, but they also have H.265, which reduces the required bitrate by about half, so it would take close to 500 kB/s to achieve the same video quality with H.264 compression. That means that most of my cameras have the advantage of 3.6 times more effective bandwidth that the V3. That’s a pretty big difference.

So while we don’t know exactly what Wyze is doing, we do know they’re squeezing the RTSP stream really thin. Maybe they do that because the camera doesn’t have the horsepower to support high quality streams for both RTSP and whatever the Wyze app is using at the same time. And there is no apparent way to disable the stream for the Wyze app, so reducing the RTSP bandwidth may have been required just to make it work at all. Of course I don’t actually know any of this to be true, but given the complete lack of technical information or advice from Wyze, conjecture is currently our only option.

If I can find a few minutes, I’ll export some V3 video from Blue Iris and post then it up so you can see how it compares to what you;re seeing.

The “issue” I am seeing is I am comparing the video to other software like TinyCam, iSpy and even Wyze.
If I had nothing else to compare it too, I would say it looks great…but because I know how it looks when viewing them with these other programs, then I can see the movements are not smooth when a car passes by or someone is walking… it’s a little difficult to explain. - have you ever seen the difference between a video playing at 30 fps compared to 60 or 120? - that’s what Im seeing… 30 looks good if you don’t have another reference…you only notice the 30 once you see 60.

Does BI tell you what fps the stream it’s showing you is? What’s your tiny cam fps? Wyze should be 20 during the day in app. Looking for actual numbers for compairson.

1 Like

They are set to 20 fps in blue iris

Mac, here is a video that shows the results I’m getting with the V3 and Blue Iris. Let me know what you think. Apologies in advance for my piano playing:

1 Like

Any info on substreams? How do you guys handle detection vs streaming? using frigate currently but all on the one HD stream.

I have not been able to find any meaningful documentation, but AFAIK, the V3 doesn’t have sub-streams. And so far, no response form Wyze on solving the issues with the main stream.

But with that said, the V3’s main stream is only ~70kB/s, which is no more than some of my sub-streams.

I don’t know much about frigate.

My v3 on SD setting goes up to 125kB

Hi
I am curious why is not possible add the rstp support in the main firmware to keep Cam plus feature and RSTP at same time?
What are the constrains or restrictions?
Why these features are not able to interact in parallel?
Thanks in advance

Try peppermint oil. Don’t get it on the lens.
I’ve 2 cameras outside looking at a backporch, covered by a patio roof. 2 years ago they got covered with spider webs. I applied peppermint oil sparingly to the camera cases, no more problem. So far for about 4 months.

3 Likes

Nice piano playing by the way :+1:t3:

1 Like

I don’t think the quality setting in the Wyze app has any effect on the RTSP resolution or bitrate. I’ve seen the number go as high as 100 in BI, but that was as night, so I’m guessing that the camera gets noisy in low light, which then results in more apparent motion for the compression algorithm to deal with.

You are too kind, I’m sure, but it’s kind of a fun camera comparison and/or Blue Iris demo.

I think you’re hoping for an awful lot from a $30 camera! I’d be happy if they’d just solve the RTSP issues and make it less cumbersome to install/update/maintain the RTSP version.