Are floodlights controllable through the indoor light switch

Can you make the flood lights come on by turning the indoor light switch off and then back on, or can you only make them come on through the Wyze app on your phone (or through sensed motion)?

Welcome back @BTinNC.

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes to all 3.

Assuming you are referring to the Wyze switch.

You can turn the flood light on and off with “additional controls. As seen here

You can turn the floodlight on and off via the Wyze App through the camera controls or by way of a shortcut as shown below

And lastly you can set the floodlight to turn on with motion

2 Likes

Great answer, thank you! I was actually referring to the standard on/off switch, as I wasn’t familiar with the wyze switch. I’m looking into it now and I think that is what I’m going to get.

1 Like

You could use the normal switch I’d guess, but then you’d loose all smart features and camera usage while the unit is powered off.

2 Likes

Happy to have assisted.

And yes, as @Omgitstony mentioned the v3 camera with the floodlight accessory requires constant power for the capabilities to work. So if you had a normal on off switch, then you would lose all capabilities by removing power to the camera and floodlight.

2 Likes

I just bought some Floodlight v2 cams, and have the same basic question as @BTinNC. The cams will replace existing “normal” lights on my patio. So I’ll have to leave the light switch on at all times for the cams to work. OK, I get that. But if company comes over, I want to flip the switch a couple of times to make the cam lights come on (in the same way my front door light sensor already works), essentially bypassing the cam’s sensors, until I cycle the switch again. The technology already exists; I’d just like it to be incorporated into the cams. And yes, I know I can use the ambient light setting on the Wyze app (esp. for nighttime socials), but flipping the switch twice is immediate and wouldn’t require me to dink with the app, and wouldn’t require me to buy yet another gadget. I like the idea.

@fenwal , What I did in the end was setup an “additional control”, basically a rule, that says if I double click my light switch it will make the flood lights come on for 5 minutes. If I triple click the switch it will make the flood lights come on for 1 hour. If I press and hold it makes the lights go off. These are adjustable and a setting in the light switch. I am pretty happy with that so far.

@BTinNC . Thanks for the info. If you were able to do that with a standard (non-smart) switch and just the “basic” plan with Wyze, please outline the steps so that I might try your solution. Being able to put the iPhone in a drawer when company is around would be wonderful.

Maybe once I figure out the Alexa interface to Wyze gadgets, I’ll be able to tell “the girl” to follow some rules I haven’t yet set up.

Sounds like they were using a Wyze Switch, not a regular non smart switch. This:

What @Omgitstony said is correct. I am using the Wyze switch. I am sorry for the confusion.

1 Like