App Dark Theme/Mode

PeepPeep, 2 years ago WYZE told us version 3 of the app would have it, it was in early development. There has never been another word since.

1 Like

But it never moved to #roadmap , I’m thinking…

Be careful with this though. If you add a new device, you may not be able to scan the QR Code as the Black border seems to interfere. So, when adding new devices, use the White background first.

2 Likes

On another platform…

Q: How about restoring our civil liberties?!

A: We’re looking into this and trying to select a good method for implementation but we’re not at a point of working on it yet.

1 Like

No rebooting of phone needed, easily toggled on or off, and only the Wyze App needs restarted after switching.

It works on my Google Pixel, and on OnePlus 7 pro as it will likely work on many other Android 11 or 12 smartphones.

2 Likes

Please re-read @jdnobil 's reply. Maybe re-read from November 2018 down to today.

“If it works for you that’s grand, consider yourself fortunate.”

I can’t believe we are still having people tell us about the developer mode alternative after all of this time, but then, I was here in November 2018.

2 Likes

Here have a cookie, and a glass of milk…
8786ceb82c7d115c954ade93a8ae44b5fdee3f42-14

1 Like

There’s some evidence that it was on the Roadmap in 2019 only to fall back into Wishlist (aka, street-of-dreams):

https://forums.wyze.com/search?expanded=true&q=roadmap%20topic%3A8439%20order%3Alatest

I hear that with some evidence and $6 you can buy a fancy cuppa joe… :coffee:

Why don’t Wyze avail themselves of the substantial work-for-free-out-of-youthful-exuberance-and-the-early-spirit-of-the-internets crowd?

Vet ten or twenty open source free birds and task them to work (in a compartmentalized-in-the-interest-of-corporate-security way) on sorting unprofitable stuff for the sheer x, y and zee of it… and the community?

‘Wyze Open Source Free Birds at your service, Commander.’ :eagle:

:question:

2 Likes

Haha, but I don’t accept cookies.:smiley:

2 Likes

+1 to dark mode!

1 Like

If the developers don’t want to add dark mode, can they at least explore the reasoning why? At this point, so many camera and other tech companies have had promos that even though Wyze is the company I’m most entrenched in, I don’t feel fully locked in and could just as easily keep my existing Wyze products but buy another company’s when getting new products or replacing old ones. I have a wireless Ring camera that my ISP gave me for free as a new customer promo, the Amazon ones (Blink?) are often for sale really cheap, and as an Apple fan I don’t mind paying more for HomeKit-compatible devices, which it looks like Wyze has no interest in. So every time I am considering a new product, I have to ask myself “Why Wyze?”

1 Like

I sold my wyze cameras, still have their headphones. I still follow this thread for the lulz. Get over it, the devs hate you, stop giving them your money.

1 Like

Sadly this point has been running to the ground they have no intentions of changing anything all of your points are perfectly valid and all have been made in the past.

I’ve stopped purchasing further into their ecosystem.

Using the app just wears me down.

The pale-blue thin fonts on white backgrounds is as bad as the lack of dark mode.

Tricked into buying a new phone so I can access the developer mode in a newer version of Android which my old phone did not support.

Unfortunately apps that I used more frequently got wonky giving me black text on black backgrounds so I had to discontinue using developer mode.

Justin switching it on and off manually each and every time I wish to open my app.

I too will probably just move on.

3 Likes

Just gave a 1 star review on play store. Figure that’s way more impactful if many do it vs our wasting our breath here.

2 Likes

Absolutely, most common requested feature in every app. It should be a standard by default.

3 Likes

Just thought I’d share the latest comment on Dark Mode that was posted on the Wyze Discord server today:

So Wyze IS indeed still actively talking about dark mode, looking into it, there are just some obstacles to overcome because of how the app was initially set up YEARS ago that makes it difficult to implement now, so they have to resolve a lot of that “design debt” first. I’m glad they’re looking into their options. I just thought some others in here would appreciate me sharing the latest comment on the issue in here so some of you could read it too.

2 Likes

That is exactly what Gwendolyn told me nearly 3 years ago.

I appreciate you sharing and posting that she’s still talking about it.

My biggest concern is the amount of debt that they have incurred has likely increased 100 fold with every new product they’ve released in every new module that they’ve created in to interface with the base app.

The hard-coding that they cannot change stems from the base app.

I would suspect that every module has those same unmodifiable software issues likely baked in.

If they could write the code to be flexible in the modules they could have and should have gone back to the app and upgraded to a more contemporary coding, which allows for the switchable variables we want and need - for instance font size, color, and background color.

Features we find find in most other apps.

3 Likes

So Wyze IS indeed still actively talking about dark mode,…

My mom’s been talking about quitting smoking for the last 30 years. Something about how it all went wrong way back at the start so it’s now hard to accomplish what everyone wants. Bet she quits before dark mode hits.

I’ve just accepted that the Wyze app is a good walking night light for when you need to use the bathroom without stepping on animals and can’t use the flash as it’s too bright. My real concern is the monthly fee they’ll start charging me for my “mobile app embedded night light” GPS and pet recognition will be on night light pro, but night light lite will let you use the light for more than 12 seconds ($2.99 a mo)

2 Likes

This request was made in November 2018. I was four-years younger with high hopes.

It’s now 2022. I hope I live long enough to see it happen. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will love to have a dark theme mode in the Wyze app. It will be nice not be blinded by it when I wake up in the middle of the night to look at an alert. Nowadays most app allow dark theme mode.

It is kind of a low hanging fruit that will make a lot of users happy.

4 Likes