Alarm or horn that might work with Sense?

Wyze Sense initial integration with IFTTT is now available. Applets can be created for IF the Wyze Contact Sensor opens or closes THEN do “something”. Or If the Motion Sensor detects motion or becomes clear THEN do “something”.

For android devices I’ve been testing the do “something” as sending a notification to the android device with message like “Motion detected in basement”. There is an app Out Loud that can speak notifications. Out Loud is free for one app which could be IFTTT or it could be the Wyze app and just read the notifications from it.

As a next step, I’ve been making Google Home do things. I leave an old android device near a Google Home speaker. The IFTTT notifications spoken by Out Loud can issue Google Assistant commands. For example, “Hey Google broadcast Alert: Motion detected in the basement”. The Out Loud app speaks the notification and the Google Assistant broadcasts the message to ALL of my Google speakers throughout the house. The voice heard is from the Out Loud app which can be changed.

The IFTTT notification spoken via Out Loud can also issue a Google routine which can do many things. For example “Hey Google Security Alert”. That runs a Security Alert routine that sets the volume for all of the google speakers to 10; the Google assistant voice says “Security alert detected.”; then plays security alert playlist from Spotify which plays loud alarm sounds to ALL the speakers). The Google routines can also include doing other things Google Home can control like turn on/off lights, outlets, etc. When Wyze Google Home integration is ready, I want to try and see if a notification can speak the commands to start streaming a Wyze camera on a Google Hub or Chromecast device.

Disclaimers… Setting this up takes some basic understanding of IFTTT and the Out Loud app was fairly simple to setup. IFTTT notifications can be slow sometimes, so you may not always get instant notifications. Sometimes the applet or notifications might fail. Depending on your Wyze sensor location you can get many alerts and the setup should consider that. The setups can be tweaked as needed for specific scenarios. Google Routines can also sometimes be quirky and not always work properly or some steps can fail.

I know there are programming options and better ways to accomplish this, so people please don’t flame this post. This is clunky and far from a perfect solution, but it can be setup in a few minutes to have talking notifications from Wyze sensors or camera events. It can also be a way to issue voice commands to Google Home speakers. It was just a fun experiment until better options are determined or become available.

3 Likes