Add a water leak detector

nice work @lachlan6.

@mike.s as far as sensors go, seperate wo a doubt.
contacts both top and bottom for leak detection and puddle detection.
Look at the guardian sensors for a example ( https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-by-Elexa-Leak-Detector/dp/B07F7P5FCX ) and the system w shut off.

I recommend you have battery back up for the valve control if you develop one.

I know in my case, I would use no less than 8 sensors, probably pushing 17-20.

More if I could assign them;
some for shut off valve control for interior protection,
some for controlling wyze plugs to operate pumps (window wells).

Figure under all sinks, next to all toilets/baths/showers, by kitchen sink/dishwasher, by laundry, by sump, by hot water tank, by boiler, & by ac condensation pans.

If you do a separate temp sensor please incorporate humidity with that.
Would be useful for hottub, greenhouse, storage shed, off the top of my head.

FYI, my wife is in personal property insurance, the number one cause for claims, by far highest percentage of losses, and greatest cost in personal property insurance are from water damage, direct and indirect.

Most insurance companies will discount rates if flood detection & water main shut off is installed.

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Eve-Water-Guard-extendable-Water-Leak/dp/B082BF522X

$80 wow

1 Like

I would definitely buy 3-4 water sensors / leak detectors. Someone already modified the Wyze door sensor and it is pretty simple. Wyze should make one.

The only problem I see is with connectivity since I have had issues with my door sensors talking to the Wyze Cam / bridge over 20-25 feet distance.

You have seen these right? That way if Wyze ever does make real ones you can just take them out of the bracket and repurpose them.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response! We are making good progress on the leak sensor (as well as a few other updates to the Sense line) and will have more details in the near future.

8 Likes

Outdoor camera, lock & key pad and Wyze leak sensor can’t wait!

1 Like

Excited to hear your details!

1 Like

Yeah! My leakfrogs from Woot are aging, and are sometimes too far away to hear. This would be a fun one from Wyze. Voted.

1 Like

WyzeMike,

I am looking forward to Wyze offering a leak detector. Hopefully it will be inexpensive like the motion and contact sensors, and we’ll all buy them by the dozen. I currently have a few contact sensors modified to detect leaks, and they work great.

A consideration for the engineers/developers - the contact sensor only reports battery_level and rssi upon a state change. With a water sensor, we all hope the state will never be triggered, but we will want to know when the battery level gets low. I’m sure they’ve already thought about it, but please insure the water sensors broadcast the battery_level and rssi periodically so we can monitor for low battery and good signal strength in our home automation systems.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I would think that a timed check-in would work and still have a pretty long battery life. I would say on average the door/window sensor goes through at least 4 state changes a day to last a year. So if it checked in just once a day it should last multiple years and really even a weekly check-in should be good enough.

What’s the Leak sensor for? Water, Gas or

The sensor currently in development detects water.

3 Likes

I would love to see a leak detector. I just spend many hours and much money replacing my whole house well water filtration system. I really wanted to put a leak detector in the system but couldn’t find a quality smart sensor that was affordable. I don’t care about a temperature gauge on the sensor all I want to know is if there is a leak somewhere.

In addition, I have rental property and tenants don’t always tell me when they have a running toilet, so a sensor on the toilets would be great.

-Chuck

2 Likes

Water sensor would be great- with a sump pump that is very active and the chance of a power outage, being informed of water near the top of the sump would be great- and in this scenario having the option of a,cell,signal would be better when the power is out!

2 Likes

Hello there,

After working with 4 Grohe sensors “Sense”, I can confirm that it is incredibly useful and efficient to have a sensor that senses humidity, water and temperature at the same time, and they could be used to trigger a wyze camera. Why? Because I have as follows:

1. A sensor by my water tank in the attic: a temperature sensor is most useful in case temperatures drop below zero so one can take action before a pipe bursts.
  2. A sensor underneath the washer and dishwasher.
  3. A sensor under the kitchen sink where there is a high risk due to the pipe connections
  4. A sensor by my immersion cylinder: this one gets very hot which may help evaporate water from a leak, thereby masking the leak for a few days. The only way to detect it s by having a humidity sensor.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’d love a water detector, but w/ the quality (or lack of it) I get in the consistency and timeliness of notifications I get on my existing Wyze stuff I think it would a waste of time and money. I’ve got door sensors, motion sensors, light bulbs, and cameras. They’re cool devices, but the current phone app limits them too much and I may or may not get notifications when my doors open and close. Fix the app and notifications if you want this stuff to be useful.

1 Like

Nose.
Detects leaky noses.

liquids seriously, ideally, water.

1 Like

Hi Mike. As I stated months ago in this thread … a water sensor is one of my MUST HAVES. I would probably buy 10 of them to start. Not sure what stage the development is, but I would love to get my hands on a bunch of these. Please put me on the list to help!

1 Like