Accessing the Cloud While Camera is Unplugged

Hi,

If an intruder were to break in and take the Wyze Cam with them, I wanted to test whether the footage until that point could be accessed via the app so that one might have something to give to the police. So I tested this by unplugging the camera.

The app said no camera is plugged in. But it wouldn’t even let me access the playback, which was the critical point. If the footage is going onto the cloud, how come I couldn’t access it from my app just because the camera is unplugged?

1 Like

You should still be able to access old cloud clips with the camera off. I just did. Those are the 12-second alert clips, the only thing that goes to the cloud.

However, you will not be able to access the SD card in playback mode, as they just took that card with the camera. That does not go to the cloud.

BTW, this isn’t advertised as a security camera. It is a smart camera.

2 Likes

Playback is where you access the recordings on the SD card Which are separate From the cloud recordings which you access by tapping an Events at the bottom in the apps home page

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022543292-Wyze-Cam-User-s-Guide

2 Likes

Thank you both for your explanations. You’re right; I tested it and it enabling detection will stick those 12 second clips under events. I misunderstood how the camera works, but this resolves that.

1 Like