Ability to use iOS Voiceover with Wyze app

Using Whyse app with voiceover ios version v13.2.3

when sharing a camera with a user via the Wyze app I can not get focus to the green circle to submit the email.

I go to account tab, Sharing, click on new user button and enter the email, but I can focus on the button to the right to submit the email. Clicking on Done removes the keyboard and clicking on search does nothing.

Please consider making your app work better with voiceover on the Iphone. You can get to voiceover by tapping the home button three times in most cases. If this does not work, you can find voiceover under accessability wither under settings/general/accessability or settings/accessability pending on the ios version.

Thank you

Blind and low vision users of an iPhone use voiceover to interact with applications on the phone. Text Ann controls and labels are read out verbally. several words that are jammed together cannot be properly pronounced, and thus reduce the usability of the app and the related products. Ensuring that all controls and labels are correctly configured would be a big improvement.

3 Likes

is this still the case with voiceover?

A majority of the buttons on android have no labels and i’m wondering if this is similar on IOS?
thanks
Michael

1 Like

Yes, there has been no change or enhancement to the app in this regard. As I mentioned, the labels that do exist appear to be jammed together words and abbreviations. I don’t know if sighted people see the same labels or if this is voice over trying to compensate as best it can for missing labels. This would be such a simple enhancement to the app, I really don’t understand why it shouldn’t and has an already been implemented.

1 Like

I agree, especially since the tagline on the website is:

Making Great Technology Accessible

so sorry to know this.

As previously stated, android is riddled with unlabeled buttons.
It sounds like an effort is not being given for improvement.

1 Like

It would also be nice to know the signal quality of the devices. Currently they are represented with dots that voiceover cannot read.

2 Likes

The Wyze app needs to be made compatible with voiceover on the iPhone and probably talk back on android phones. It is currently not compatible with voiceover and for us blind/visually impaired users is very difficult for us to use this app. Although the website says accessible for all this app is definitely not accessible for all.

Thank you

I couldn’t agree more, I started a topic in the wish list for this exact purpose shortly after I acquired my first camera. I have not acquired additional Wise equipment for this exact issue. I have seen absolutely no improvement in the ap’s accessibility over the last several years. Hopefully they will take accessibility far more seriously in the future.

1 Like

They have taken action, just look under the account tab and notice how
it is very quirky. Just try and look at or listen to the videos on the
cloud or usb card. Navigation is impossible. Some buttons are labeled
funny. The app really needs more work with ios voiceover. I have
received no responce other then we will look in to it. I understand
this is probably a low priority as I am sure there are not many blind
/ visually impaired people using Wyze products. this is why Wyze is lo
longter my first choice when adding smart home devices. I’ve also find
that Wyze response times are slower then my other companies I now use
for my smart home devices. I no longer recommend them like I used to
just because of the accessibility and slow cam+ cloud response time.

Hello all, I’m a Voiceover user and wonder if Wyze has made any improvement to their app for Voiceover. I’m using iOS15. Any info will be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know if the Ring app and the Blink app work well with Voiceover? Which app works the best? Thank you.

No, they have not, in fact, with the newer cameras it’s not accessible at all. You might want to check out the blink app. I heard that works quite well.

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. That’s quite
unfortunate because I’ve been doing a lot of research on cameras and
I’ve almost decided to get the Wyze Floodlight Camera. The app for
that camera is not accessible with Voiceover? The areas that’ll be
most important to me will be the event recordings. If I can play and
download the clips, that would meet the most important need. Do you
know if that part would be accessible? Thank you.

More about the accessibility problems. The latest cameras such as the new outdoor you can not interact with it. The app does work for the older stuff and most things work with a little patience. I’ve documented quite a few things and provides a mp3 quite a wile back, but them problems remain the same. So it appears Wyze really don’t have much interest in being accessible or they did not understand the problem with the examples I gave and the explanation of voiceover…

I have been quite happy with what I have vested in Wyze been able to do and the products does quite well with what I expected it to do. However with the way things are now It does not pay for me to continue to support the Wyze eco system as the latest things just don’t work.

[Mod Edit]: Signature block has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Hi, that might work, the older stuff does work and the events you are able to get to, but the newer cameras that just came out do not work. I’d have to go back and look up the name of them, but they are the higher resolution cameras.

You could give it a try they do have a 30 day money back policy. Talk with them they are very nice to work with.

[Mod Edit]: Signature block has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Thank you so much for the info. Do you still have the mp3 file of what
you documented about the various issues?

I do want to give the Floodlight Cam a try, but the problem is that
I’d be hiring an electrician, so if the camera won’t work out due to
Voiceover issues, then I’d waste a lot of money. Therefore, I’d need
to make sure what I need will work before installing the camera.

Do you know of anyone using the Floodlight Cam with Voiceover?

I did correspond with Wyze about my concerns but they do not have any
useful info for me. They said they have forwarded my concerns to the
appropriate people.
Thank you again.

Also, this chat thread was started in 2019, and the Floodlight Cam
came out in 2021, I think. So I wonder if it’s among the newer cams
that have issues with Voiceover, even though it doesn’t have the
higher resolution.

I am going to bet that it will work as it is just the latest cameras that just came out that do not work. I’ll have to revisit the app and its setup and event area again as I have not spent a lot of time with it since I had the problems with the latest cameras I tried this summer in 2023.

I Have the v2, v3 and the OG cameras and they used to work fine. I’ve just checked on the OG and a v3 camera and I can not get them to work any more with the latest beta app version v2.47.0 (4

I can not focus on where the video is being shown to access to talk through the camera like I used to be able too. The events area is a mess and can’t play event recordings any more. So maybe the latest camera was fine it is the wyze APP that is broke. I did write feedback previously to the beta team, but never heard back from them and talking with a rep on the phone was told they have no way of contacting the beta team.

I hate to say this as in the past I loved Wyze, but I would look at other options as Wyze is not going to work. And working with the beta team is a blackhole.

Looks like I am down to only being able to use my vacuums

If Wyze wants to reach out I’d be happy to work with them, but I’m not putting work in to this again only to get no response back.

Thank you so much for looking into that for me which I so appreciate.
So it means that the Floodlight Cam may likely not work now on the new
Wyze app version. Which iOS version do you use?

I’m disappointed about the Wyze app, but I’m so glad I found this
forum and got connected with you, thus saving me a lot of
trouble/money. Maybe the Ring app will be accessible. Have you heard
anything about that? I know you told me that Blink app works well, so
I’ll consider that.

Thank you so much again.

Hi, From my latest experience with the Wyze app yesterday I’d say it will not work. I am using the latest version of IOS 17.03 I do have the ring doorbell and it works ok. Accessibility comes and goes as they update the app, but I am able to answer the doorbell and talk all though this part does not always work the best. I can play the events just fine though.