Ability to turn camera on and off based on Alarm Status of Wyze Security

i have numerous cameras placed indoors on main floor of house. Would like to be able to not only utilize them with security, which, I understand is a given, but be able to turn the cameras OFF when alarm system not on, and ON when System is in Active state. I would envision this as an option. IF option chosen then when alarm system is disarmed, camera goes off - if alarm system is armed, then camera turns on.

Would be good to have an override in the app, so camera that is off could be turned on in the app, like to check status of pet etc.

Mod Note 2023-02-18: This request is currently being tested in the v2.40 public beta app. See this post below for more details.
Mod Note 2023-03-08: This request is now implemented in the v2.40 app. See this post below and Release Notes for more details.

Yes!!! I was wondering if the system would be able to turn on/off cameras when armed/home/disarmed and now after seeing your post, I realize that this is not an ability yet. Slightly disappointed with this and hope that they figure out how to integrate this.

1 Like

I agree, I have cameras inside that I only use when I am away and will also be arming the home monitoring system.

1 Like

This is definitely needed. Pan cam is constantly scanning while the system is disarmed. And when im in a hurry will never remember to turn it back on.

1 Like

It would be great to have this option so that it’s not constantly recording. There should be a rule that we can set up that when the alarm system is armed, to turn on the camera and start recording and record events.

1 Like

Emphatic yes on this. In my opinion, it is a vital missing feature for home monitoring. There are some areas in the house where you don’t want a camera constantly active, but do want surveillance when you are away. Automatically turning on these cameras by arming the home monitoring system and turning off by disarming will provide more consistent activation of these cameras. Because honestly, who is going to remember to turn these cameras on every time they leave and turn them off when they get back? This is a must for bedrooms, living areas, and other “personal spaces” where Wyze customers will not want to be constantly recorded.

4 Likes

My Wyze “home monitoring” system is incomplete without the ability to turn on the cameras and trigger video recordings when a sensor triggers the alarm. Now I’ll have to see if IFTTT can automate the video function when the alarm is triggered, or see if I can integrate the various Wyze cameras/sensors into another home automation system. I feel foolish for not researching this issue before buying the entire Wyze suite of cameras, sensors, etc., as the system as delivered does not meet my needs. I will tell my friends that the Wyze “home monitoring” system is clearly not ready for prime time…

2 Likes

Create what is called a Rule-Device Trigger:

Wyze app Home > “+” in upper left corner > Add Rule > Device Trigger > Enter a Name > “+” to the right of Device Trigger > select a sensor > select “Opens” or “Has been open for” > Save > Action > select a cam > Turn on or if it’s already on, upload video > Save… etc., etc.

1 Like

Using your rule suggestion has nothing to do with the home monitoring system being armed and would always cause the sensor to create an action even when the system was disarmed.

I do not know how this was not a feature at launch???

An event trigger for arm/disarm. Home, Away, Disarm, so that the user can create rules based on those things. That in my mind was a bare minimum of getting a security system in the wyze family of products.

I feel like every wyze product is an amazing value, but at the same time missing just enough to make me give up on it in the long run. :frowning:

1 Like

Just found out this system can’t do this. Very disappointed Wyze! I guess that means no rule to turn on all the Wyze bulbs if the alarm is activated either! Come on Wyze this is basic alarm functionality.

Yeah I am still shocked that this feature has not yet been made. Wyze is really a bit of a lack luster. Where are the broken glass sensors? My system is constantly going offline,while the cameras and bulbs, and everything else is staying online.

Yes times a million. What’s the point of having cameras connected to your home monitoring system if they don’t turn on and off together?

Yes I have no interest in the cameras recording 24/7, I’m only interested in them recording when my alarm system is activated, specifically in the away mode.

1 Like

+1 to this request. At the very least this should be accomplishable via a Rule.

The Wyze security system is unable to enable or disable the camera’s based on arming or disarming is a disaster waiting to happen. I would never have bought if I had realized this basic security system need was not in the program.!!!

I am going to mount an open/closed senser near the key pad and use it open/closed to trigger my camera’s on/off as a work around until they “FIX” the armed/disarmed issue.

I have good news for everyone following this wishlist item! App version 2.40 is currently beta testing this option!!! I just tried it out and it works!

If the beta testing goes well, it will be launched to everyone soon enough! I assume within less than a month, though I can’t speak for Wyze.

Basically works the same as all other rules. Choose what trigger you want as listed above, then choose whatever action you want, including turning cameras on and off based on the alarm status! It’s working great so far! Thanks Wyze.

Anyone who doesn’t want to wait, can enroll in Beta to try it out right now, but most people can just wait and it will be pushed out to everyone soon enough. Just wanted to let you know the good news!!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, just purchased a HMS from Wyze. Came here to get the answer on triggering a camera to turn on when alarm set to away specifically.

2 Likes

Just an FYI to everyone following this. App 2.40 officially launched this week, If you make sure your app and your hub firmware are up to date, you can now implement this with rules. :partying_face:

3 Likes