A Better Viewing options for SD footage is needed...

I received a Pan Cam as a gift, love it, and am inclined to buy several more but off-put by how tedious it is to view footage stored on the SD card by swiping the timeline on the bottom of the video image. There is so much lag in the response it is near impossible to select the desired time precisely. It is like herding cats.

What I suggest as an alternative to swiping on the timeline is are HH:MM:SS text fields for manually entering start and end points for viewing. For example if I get a motion detection cloud alert for 06:30:15 I could access the SD footage, enter 06:29:00 — 06:31:00 to easily check what happened before and after. Ideally this single time-frame entry would be applied to all the cameras on the network sequentually, with an option to also save the clips to storage on the viewing device (iPad in my case).

Also desirable would be a fast forward option for SD playback and an option to skip to the next motion detection event on the SD. For example I use the Pan Cam to keep an eye on the dog when I’m out. I don’t need or want to save his every movement to the cloud but would enjoy a way to quickly skip between movement tracking events on the SD footage automatically to see what he has been into. He sleeps 80% of the time so being able to automatically skip between motion / sound (of him barking at someone) events would motivate me to buy more cameras.

2 Likes

10x playback is in the works for the next major app update.

EDIT: Apparently this got pushed back in the development chain. It won’t be in the 2.x app release, but is still in the plans.

3 Likes

Also if on the scroll you could add the thumbnail feature. Basically as you scroll it gives you thumbnail views/ previews allowing you to see if you need to keep scrolling

Teddy asked:

but off-put by how tedious it is to view footage stored on the SD card by swiping the timeline on the bottom of the video image. There is so much lag in the response it is near impossible to select the desired time precisely. It is like herding cats.

No it’s not. Once you get close, pinch out on the time line, and it will expand enough that you can select a time within about 10 seconds.

problem is, when using the scrollbar remotely (like abroad over low bandwidth cellular) it disconnects if you try to view playback more than a few hours back.

this is a performance issue with the way the scrollbar works. i did a number of tests and found using the calendar i can jump days back in time, with no disconnects. but using the calendar means playback starts at midnight of that day.

i agree with cgardner that an HH:MM type field is needed

1 Like

Since posting my comment I have upgraded my viewing platform from iPad3 to iPadPro3 and router from Linksys 4500 to Netgear Orbi and find using the timeline on the playback much more responsive and easier to use. That said still would like to have the ability to manually enter start:stop time ranges in the playback.

“Also desirable would be a fast forward option for SD playback and an option to skip to the next motion detection event on the SD”

I agree this would be a good feature too on the continuous SD recording mode.

Also, the playback from SD card on continuous recording is still slow (takes like 7 secs after clicking view playback until the teal playback bar is available) and glitchy on Android phones.

You may want to hop over and VOTE for the two Roadmap topics below. Click the VOTE button at top of each page. You must click the button for your vote to count:

Thanks. I voted for one of those topics. But I didn’t see a feature request to “skip to the next motion detection event on the SD card while viewing in continuous recorded playback mode”.

The ability to skip to the next/previous motion event on the SD card playback is already implemented if you are recording in Event Only. There is a Roadmap topic to mark events in playback, which would presumably provide what you’re asking. I will paste the link below, and you can go there and vote for it, and add a comment asking to ensure that jump forward/back works in that mode as well.

I tried event recording and switched back to continuous based on my experience . At least you will have the recording and can eventually find what you are looking for.

I found event recording very slow to load and it seemed to miss many events. Sorry but for me it just did not work and when it did only for a few events. If it ever did work perhaps a combination of continuous with event indexing would be my choice.

I will also add that playback responsiveness seems to have slowed down lately. I have 6 cameras with SD cards and none of them work well in playback mode. The whole point of SD cards is playback which makes this very frustrating.

Yes I agree with “If it ever did work perhaps a combination of continuous with event indexing would be my choice”

Also, SD playback of continuous recording have always been a pretty slow and glitchy for me on my Android devices. I don’t know if there will be a fix for that. I guess it’s better than not having any SD playback.

If you have not already, you might want to hop over to the topic below and vote for it. You must click the VOTE button at the top of the page for your vote to count:

1 Like

The speed of the Android device makes a difference on viewing and playback. I find that the app performs better in this regard under an emulator (I use Bluestacks) than my Android phone (not the latest and greatest). I also will say that sometimes the app works better than other times. It is also buggy and the options for playback and accessing recording video needs improvement. There is nothing worse than zeroing in on an event only to have the app crap out on you.

1 Like