2023 Hummingbird forum

Just put my home made feeder up. Neighbor says she has seen them at her feeders.

5 Likes

I have 2 for sure. I only ever see 2 at the same time at most. Usually it’s just one.

[Mod Note]: Re-encoded video for proper embedded viewing in web browsers.

3 Likes

Your squirrel needs a good spanking… with a stick. spank2

4 Likes

You know, I set up a table thinking they would maybe eat off that instead but NOOOOO they keep getting in my feeders. :woman_facepalming:t2: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

You need to move the feeder away from the tree. I had a squirrel that liked to Geronimo from an overhead power line. A talk with Mr. Crosman settled that.

2 Likes

Hey, I like Mr Squirrel. :chipmunk: I wish I had some. I used to get squirrels and raccoons at my last house, which was an urban house. Now I live in the suburbs and I don’t see anything except birds and cats :sob: (thought I love my cats)

2 Likes

I’d give you mine, but the feral cats ate them all. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, I plan to do that. Maybe this week sometime. Won’t keep them out of the window feeders though. :joy:

At my previous house, we had a squirrel that kept taunting my cats. It would come down the tree and yell at my cats, wait for them to pounce, then run back up the tree and laugh at them for missing. It was actually kind of funny. One time, I wanted to record how it runs down, yells at the kitties, then runs back up, so I started recording it on my phone, and this time instead of taunting and escaping, the dumb squirrel got too close and got snatched up. I caught it on my Wyze cam as well, but I’m going to post the gif and video from my phone because it’s higher quality and closer up. Note: the squirrel was not seriously harmed in this video. My cat did not puncture him with claws or teeth.
Mostly she pawed him around in terror as I begged her to stop and leave him alone now that she taught him a lesson. He did end up escaping.

Look at his terrified little face:
Kitten catching squirrel

Listen to me panic and beg my kitten to let him go:

I wasn’t too worried because my cats had caught other rodents and things in the past, and often didn’t hurt them after catching them, and often let them go.

I think that’s the only time my cats ever caught a squirrel that I know of though. Poor little terrified guy!

I wish I had hummingbirds around here, but it’s mostly just Ravens (my cats completely leave them alone :rofl: ), finches and other dull-colored birds. I don’t ever see anything at my new house. I have to live vicariously through you lot. :sob:

3 Likes

Yall, I really didn’t mean to take this off topic of hummingbirds. I actually posted the wrong video. :woman_facepalming:t2: Damn squirrel.

3 Likes

You are the Queen and can move in any direction on the board.

See what I did there?

5 Likes

Carver, that video is so charming and funny with your voice over, thanks for posting! :laughing:

3 Likes

Good kitty! :rofl:

My feral cats run up and down the trees and leap from branch to branch like squirrels. Squirrels don’t have a chance. :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: I haven’t played chess in so long. I need to do that again soon.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d freak out if my cat caught a squirrel. Impressed but would want him to let it go. Luckily Coops isn’t very bright and would rather attack them on the TV rather than look at them through the window. :joy: :joy: :joy: He’s lucky he’s pretty.

We just had to say goodbye to one of our last 2 cats yesterday, so it’s been a bit somber at my place the last couple of days. It’s been a rough 2 & 3/4 years here at the kingdom. Lost 4 of our babies, 3 of them since September. At one time we were a family of 7: us, 2 dogs, and 3 cats - I was the only girl. Now we’re a family of 3.

3 Likes

Hummingbird videos from today (not all of them, that would be a lot :joy:)

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a big shift. It’ll take a while to adjust, I’m sure…

1 Like

It’s been rough. Aston and Diablo are the cats that passed this year. They just turned 18. Aston passed at the end of February, Diablo passed yesterday. I’ve had them since they were kittens, they were litter mates. Aston’s pancreas gave out after a 2 year battle with diabetes. Diablo had an aggressive tumor form under his tongue last week and it wasn’t removable or treatable and grew so fast that he completely lost his ability to eat and drink yesterday afternoon.

Bentley was my silky terrier who passed from pancreatic cancer in 8/2020 he was just shy of his 13th birthday. Hunter was a beagle mix with epilepsy that passed due to a cancerous oral tumor at 15 this past September.

Cooper is the one that is still with us. He’s 17, and I’ve had him since he was a kitten as well.

2 Likes

Grief is so individual. For me, it’s kind of a relief, giving in to it. Giving it as full vent as I can, when I can. Everyone finds their own way. I’ll be thinking about you.

1 Like

I play chess every day on a couple of different apps, but I mostly recommend the Chess.com app.

It allows you to select what kind of play to do. My favorite are the type of games that allow you up to X days to make your next move. So for example, you can set it for 5 days or 7 days (or different smaller times like 1 or 3 days…most of my games are set to 5 days), and make a move, then close the app and just come back to make your next move whenever you have cracks of time. Then you don’t have to schedule a whole 10-60 minutes straight with no distractions in order to play. I love it. I just start or schedule as many games at a time as want, make all my moves when I have a minute, then come back later when I have more time. As long as I don’t wait more than 5 days to make a move, I don’t forfeit the game.

You can also do ranked, or non-ranked games. It also has bots you can play and it has lessons you can take to learn to play better if you care to.

They also have a cool option where you can play either standard chess, Chess960, your own custom setup, or a balanced/odds version that self-corrects the pieces based on the 2 players’ ratings to make sure it evens out the odds of who will win. My favorite version isn’t currently in the app, but they also have a 4 man chess game, which is my favorite game to play when I have a spare 2 hours to kill :rofl:

Anyway, if you (or any other forum friendlies here) does ever start playing chess, feel free to add me or randomly start any daily move game (maybe a 3-7 days per move limit) with me on there. I’d be happy to play any version with anyone (ranked or not). I don’t mind casual games as I don’t really mind whether I win or lose, to me Chess is more of a beautiful dance than a contest. My profile name is the same on there as it is here: carverofchoice

Also, sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose kitties. You lost both a dog and a cat in the last year, didn’t you? Your poor heartbroken family. :sob:

I was literally BEGGING my kitten to please leave the squirrel alone! Poor squirrel, he was about to have a full-on heart attack! You can’t see it in this video because I am behind the camera, but in the video recorded on the Wyze cam Pan, you can see I couldn’t do more than shake my foot at my cat and BEG because I was holding a baby and then they went behind a gate that was blocking me reaching them after that:

So all I could really do at that point was BEG my cat to please let the squirrel go.

2 Likes