2 Factor Authentication (2FA) Information

Yes, what you described is the type of 2FA I like… DAD - Ask me once to verify the device, then never again as it just adds the device as approved as 1 factor of authentication and I never notice it as an inconvenience ever again. I like this kind of MFA.

(Assuming there are contingency plans if the device becomes unusable & I need to restore access to a device)

2 Likes

Wyze says they listened – but, of course, only after the firestorm.

Based on Wyze’s track record for providing features that they say are “coming” or “going to be added” I cannot feel completely reassured. I am reasonably confident that Wyze now intends to provide an “Opt Out” feature – but I have very little confidence that the feature will be timely or that it will work as expected.

The capability of “Opt Out” already exists in a much better and completely reliable form – simply by never Opting IN in the first place (which is exactly the situation we have now) – everyone who wants 2FA either already has it or has it available whenever they want to add it – the only people effected by this announcement are people who either don’t want 2FA or who never cared about 2FA.

4 Likes

I can put up with this sort of system when it works however I happen to have three computers (2 desktops, 1 laptop), a smartphone, and two tablets. The computers each run multiple browsers. So I have gotten used to the fact that

1. some systems will challenge me every time I use a different device or different browser even if that device & browser have been registered before
  2. some systems will challenge me every time the browser had been updated (which is too damn often)
  3. ALL systems are a major P-I-T-A if I happen to need to log in from another new device – especially if I don’t happen to have instant access to whatever platform that system wants to use for its 2FA.
  4. Some systems are just plain stupid! Microsoft (you might have heard of them) insists on 2FA if you want to register a second email address or second phone number to your Microsoft account – that should be a trivial annoyance, except for one small problem. The primary phone number registered on my account (long before 2FA) happens to be a landline and the ONLY verification method that Microsoft has is by SMS to your primary phone number!

Oh by the way, the devices I mentioned are the ones that I use myself. Two other adults in the family each have their own laptops, smartphones and tablets.

So now we have Wyze saying that they are going to force everyone into 2FA. We all know Wyze’s track record – we are talking about the same people who still have not been able to get shared accounts to work reliably for many customers (admittedly a big part of that problem is that too many customers want shared accounts to work too many different ways). I’m one of those customers who needs to share his Wyze cameras with my family members – the only way to do that successfully is by each of us having the Wyze app on our phones and tablets all set to use the same account. That works fine for us now but I have very little faith that it will continue to work when Wyze suddenly dumps some untested mandatory 2FA system on us.

OK, maybe I’m worrying about nothing, and maybe Wyze will have their 2FA and Opt Out all working perfectly when they decide to spring it on us… If you believe that, I have a very nice bridge back in my home town of Brooklyn NY that I would love to sell you at a very nice price.

1 Like

Too much!

I don’t have the space on my phone for this. Already, the WYZE app upgrades, which get fatter and fatter each time with features I don’t use, have forced me do delete other apps I really want. Now this new “feature” requires me to download a 2-factor identification app to implement it. I just don;t have the space.

Yeh, sure - just get a newer phone with bigger memory. I still have a year of monthly payments to go with my existing phone!

I accidentally deleted the WYZE app from my old 2G phone (it has no SIM card - I just use it to connect to the internet) and now can’t load any WYZE app version back in because the “OS is too old.” Funny that it worked before I accidentally deleted it.

I hope the Opt Out option works, else I’ll just have to abandon using Cam Plus with my WYZE cams.

Too much!

1 Like

If Apple wasn’t going to do away with the ability to do 2FA some of us wouldn’t be upset. As usual the Apple users are overlooked

How can Wyze be so wildly out of touch with its customer base? This happens too often. I turned on 2FA.

Now I have to reauthorize Alexa? Going to guess a lot of Wyze customers view their cameras via Alexa or Google Home. Why didn’t the email even mention this?

Our Wyze cameras are all pointed outside! Why would we risk an inexpensive security camera pointed inside? 2FA should never have been required. Make it an option for those folks who trust Wyze cams inside their home. This isn’t our bank or investment firm.

To monitor a water leak.
To see if the water is boiling.
To see how much coffee is left in the pot.
Thousands of reasons.

2 Likes
  1. We use dedicated water leak sensors.
  2. No sane person would leave the kitchen with something on the burner.
  3. Seriously? You’re running on empty for sure. Perhaps you need that camera. (Edit, we have an energy efficient coffee maker with an insulated carafe, not one of those old heat-maker glass pot + hot plate models. Camera would be of no use.)

We wouldn’t trust our inside the home privacy to an inexpensive camera with inexpensive infrastructure behind it.

To each, their own.

I’m just trying to find out which of my cats is having trouble with the litter boxs. Maybe that’s why my V3’s are labeled litter box 1 and litter box 2. Of course if someone wants to crack into my account and watch my cats take a dump - have at it.

Now I have a new problem with 2FA. I’m using TinyCam Pro and I can’t find a way to enter code, so none of my cameras can connect to TinyCam Pro. Another great thing Wyze has got me in!!!

1 Like

Do you have a source for this I can read more on? I’ve never heard anything about Apple restricting anyone from using 2FA for other companies’ use. Besides being nearly impossible to enforce. I’d expect security experts to be ripping Apple to sheds for banning 2FA. It would be major news and their market share would plummet… It’s one thing if they ever decided to not do 2FA for themselves, but if they PREVENTED others from doing it even as an option, they’d be digging their grave.

I’m guessing this has to be a big misunderstanding. There is no way Apple would “do away with the ability to do 2FA” for all other apps(companies. They’ll definitely allow and have support for this.

1 Like

… and another vote for optional 2FA… in other words, no requirement to turn it on in the first place.

1 Like

I didn’t see it before, but just ran across where you can turn off 2FA under security. Now will see if they turn it back on at the end of the month.

Don’t faq me. Faq yourself:
Can you really do this?
No. You’re overstepping your boundaries.

Should you make it mandatory?
Of course not. You’re not my mother.

Could you offer it as an option?
Of course. You can offer all sorts of things AS OPTIONS. Vacuum cleaners, drones, sprinkler controllers. And if we want them, we’ll opt in by buying one.

What will happen if you try to push this?
We will circumvent it, and stop buying your crap. I’ll be switching to rtsp firmware on mine and running my own dvr.

Does this policy change affect us negatively?
Yep. In a general sense, you further damage the trust placed in you by clients that you will continue to maintain the product in the condition purchased.

4 Likes

@FriendofFeralCats
If you are talking about Apple implementing Passkeys in iOS 16 to use Passkeys you will be forced to turn on 2FA, it requires it to work. If you do not turn on Passkeys you could still do 2FA the old way.

1 Like

4:54 PM
i just want a email to send all your products back , i will no longer use support or promote anything you people do or care about i do not take lightly to beening force to use something that is not needed on my security system or on my phone or computer ! nice job please send me address to send your crap back too you ! shame on my to think you were a free thinker company now you force things on your coustmers ! shame on you , i no longer will use any of the many devices i have bought now i no longer support your beliefs or your life choices for forcing anybody to use anything … there has not been anything happen to my account or products that made me think i needed 2 factor ! this is b.s !

You will be allowed to opt-out of 2FA

If you still want to get rid of your devices:

If they are less than 30 days from purchase, contact support. You can even email them to work that out. That’s how I usually contact them, just initiate the email conversation through the helpcenter.

If your devices are more than 30 days old, I would just sell them. From what I have seen looking at reseller sites like ebay, etc., Wyze devices tend to retain most of their value, even when resold used. That way you will get a lot of your money back. There is no sense in returning them to Wyze after having them for more than 30 days.

Or give them away to someone who wants them.

1 Like

is the opt out from the begining or is opt out going to be possible later as i read in a post ?

if the opt out is possible from the begining ? i will stay but if im being forced to sign up for that garbage im leaving. so the ball is in your court .

(just to clarify, I don’t work for Wyze)

It is unclear for sure how it will be implemented in a few weeks. It SOUNDS to ME like the most likely outcome is that Wyze will have the opt-out ready by the time this all launches, but everyone will required to first implement it at least once, presumably to help ensure only the account holder can opt-out of it. For example, they said you do nothing, then it will automatically switch to 2FA using the account email address. I suspect what will happen is that when it switches over, anyone who hasn’t set it up yet, will first have to sign in to their Wyze account, use the code sent to their email to log in, then select the option that says opt out of 2FA.

They might do things a different way though. Maybe there will be an app option before that which we can toggle off before things changeover, and as long as you opt out before it takes effect, then you’ll never even get the email code.

Nobody knows for sure yet. Even the opt-out option is a new thing that Wyze just barely said they are implementing because of customer feedback, so they are listening and making changes based on user desires. We’ll just have to wait and see how they decide to implement it. It’s all new currently. Nobody knows for sure except that they’ve committed to us that there will be an opt-out option.