Zone blocking not working on Wyze Cam v.3

I blocked my Wyze Cam v.3’s image corner to prevent it from being triggered by passing cars, but the software completely disregards this function. The SW and FW are up to date, so what else should I do to activate the zone-blocking function?

I have been running and testing all versions of the V3 firmware up to the current Beta release in testing. I haven’t had any issues with the Detection Zone respecting the settings.

Please indicate what version of the Firmware your V3 is running. “Up to date” has a few possibilities with the V3 right now.

Also, if possible, please post a video of the event that you believe is detecting motion within the DZ.

The reason a video is needed is because there are many more questions that need to be answered to troubleshoot the issue:

• Is the cam returning a Motion Detected upload?
  • Is the cam on Cam Plus returning a Vehicle detected upload?
  • Is the cam on Cam Plus or Cam Plus Lite and returning a Person Detected Upload
  • Is the green motion tracking box activating in the video?
  • Is there motion elsewhere in the video that activates the upload and the car is coincidentally moving thru at the same time?
  • Is there perceived movement (lighting changes) at the included edge of the blocked DZ that initiate the cams Overlap feature and AI tag an object inside the DZ?
  • Is there another non-moving object in the included DZ that is being tagged as a vehicle or other AI?
2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed reply and suggestions. Here are my inline answers, an attached video and a screenshot of the detection zone.

Thanks!

–T

| SlabSlayer Forum Maven
March 5 |

• | - |

I have been running and testing all versions of the V3 firmware up to the current Beta release in testing. I haven’t had any issues with the Detection Zone respecting the settings.

Please indicate what version of the Firmware your V3 is running. “Up to date” has a few possibilities with the V3 right now.

Also, if possible, please post a video of the event that you believe is detecting motion within the DZ.

The reason a video is needed is because there are many more questions that need to be answered to troubleshoot the issue:

• Is the cam returning a Motion Detected upload?

Yes

• Is the cam on Cam Plus returning a Vehicle detected upload?

Yes

• Is the cam on Cam Plus or Cam Plus Lite and returning a Person Detected Upload
  • No
  • Is the green motion tracking box activating in the video?

Yes

• Is there motion elsewhere in the video that activates the upload and the car is coincidentally moving thru at the same time?

No

• Is there perceived movement (lighting changes) at the included edge of the blocked DZ that initiate the cams Overlap feature and AI tag an object inside the DZ?

No

• Is there another non-moving object in the included DZ that is being tagged as a vehicle or other AI?

No

1 Like

Thx . Got it.

• Cam is on .10 version production firmware
  • Cam is on Cam Plus returning a Motion and Vehicle Detection upload notification

I do see from the video that the motion of the first vehicle activated the green motion tracking box, however the second did not. Interesting. :thinking:

And do you have a screenshot of the saved detection zone?

1 Like

Green DZ showing.

That isn’t a Detection Zone screenshot. That is an Event Video screenshot. The green tracking box is highlighting where motion is detected.

The Detection Zone on a V3 cam is found in the cam Settings (:gear:) → Detection Settings → Detection Zone. When enabled it will show a Grid over the image with blocked areas shaded darker than the included detection area.

Example:

1 Like

Oh, I thought one of my first pictures has it.

I’m attaching it again.

1 Like

With that information, it does appear that all the motion to initiate the video was inside the DZ. The Vehicle tag should also have been excluded given the vehicle was in the DZ. My only suggestion would be to add a restriction to the two closest adjacent boxes and see if that helps any. It was something I noticed on the PanV3, but it may have also made it into this firmware. On that cam, it seemed like the DZ edge was progressive in it’s block, not all or nothing. Still haven’t verified if that’s something Wyze is experimenting with though.

Thanks; your expert suggestions are much appreciated. I’ll try two more fields.

Is it worth submitting this as a bug report to Wyze? It does create a lot of false alarms.

–Tony

1 Like

You can submit a bug report if you want. I still haven’t pinned down the exact cause. If adding some additional padding to the DZ fixes your issues, then that will confirm that the DZ edges are progressive and not all or nothing. With that we might be able to get some clarification from Wyze. If it doesn’t help, then yes, a bug report is in order.

I have the same problem. I have a bush that wiggles in the wind. I blocked off the bush and an extra block around it. But it still reports motion with the green block in the bush. Almost like it ignores the block out. I checked all your responses and I have the same. All software is up to date. My firmware is 4.36.9.139 ( but says up to date ) Not sure how yours says 4.36.10

1 Like

The .10 firmware was initially released for public update, however it was then halted due to issues. It hasn’t been opened up for all cams yet.

I have the same issue as ben.hunter007. Blocked out bush blows in the wind, Wyzecam V3 records the movement. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Could it be triggering by the sound of the passing car?

Good idea! I’ll check it out.

I have sound detection turned off.

On the alert it shows a green block around the bush.

1 Like