WyzeCam "eating" micro SD cards?

And correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we have reports of endurance cards also getting trashed. Either here or on reddit.

You’ve had consistent reports of this nature for about a year now. It would be interesting to know if people were reporting this problem prior to that and if not if there was a new firmware release in the same time frame.

If they are correctly handling the flash in normal operation but some software bug causes them the enter a state where they are writing much more frequently than intended that explains the problem quite well.

I never mentioned endurance cards. I am not using endurance cards. Year and a half, no problems. Why are you forcing this issue? BTW, I’ve had reports? I am not a Wyze employee.

Because you have a number of consistent reports of the same nature that haven’t been addressed.

And you have no idea that it’s “dozens” of cases. The only cases you know of are those that find their way to this forum or to reddit, which I assure you are a very small minority.

Why are you ignoring this issue?

Where did I say you’ve had reports?

I said 'we’ve had reports", meaning of course the people that are reading these forums. N’est-ce pas?

Unless the person has WYZE in front of their name they are not an employee, based on other posts in this thread by employees, they are working on the issue but have not 100 percent figured it out, that was on August 4. That would tell me they are not ignoring the issue.

1 Like

That also tells me there is an issue. Which is not what is being said by some.

Hey, folks. We do take this issue seriously. While we don’t have a confirmation that it’s the cameras or software here, the detailed information that @TheEggMan is giving is worth considering and I’ll be bringing it to the team.

This reads to me like a lot of intelligent people with different approaches got together to try to work on a problem and some miscommunications happened when no one was intending anything other than being helpful and looking for or providing answers.

I’ll be sharing the contents of this thread with people more qualified to evaluate such things. In the meantime, the Mavens are correct that we do not have reports of this issue from the vast majority of our products out there. Almost every one of the cards that we took back to investigate had different problems (sometimes being counterfeit) that could explain the symptoms and that has made this tricky to pinpoint if it is on our side. That said, Wyze is very open to suggestions about improvements to consider and we aren’t going to try to say that we’re perfect (yet). It’s kinda our thing. :slight_smile:

@TheEggMan, do you have any microSD cards that you think would be useful for us to look at? I am happy to work with you to get those to the team.

7 Likes

I have 2 wyze cams. A stationary and a pan. When I first got them several months ago, the pan cam ate 2 SD cards, one of which I took from my dash cam that had been in it almost 2 years. I ordered 2 wyze cards and have not had a problem since.
Well, I’m wrong. I just checked both cams. One ok but pan cam had no SD card according to app. I unplugged/replugged camera, still no card. I then, with power still applied, removed and reinserted SD card. Now camera “sees” it.

I’ve seen this happen on a couple of my v2 cams as well. Occasionally I’ll check the local recordings and there will be no SD card listed. Usually a reboot of the camera brings it back, but sometimes I’ve had to remove and re-insert the card. The card isn’t damaged and the files are intact, the camera just couldn’t detect it for some reason.

This is a rare occurrence for me and happens most often on one of my V2s that’s mounted outside, so I blame it on temperature fluctuations and humidity.

3 Likes

I had one camera eat a 64G Samsung card a few months ago. Unfortunately it went in the round bin some time back.

This was on a camera that was inside a garage btw. Would not have seen any weather but obviously not heated or cooled.

1 Like

In these cases it might be an issue with the SD card holder getting loose and making poor contact. Does this camera happen to be outdoors? SD cards were always conceived to be something that was used in personal electronics, i.e. something that would be on your person or at least indoors. They really weren’t designed to take big temperature swings like what a camera would see outdoors. In those cases the thermal cycling can cause the contacts to loosen up and make poor contact.

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly what I imagine is happening. In my case I know it’s probably due to being outdoors, but I’m sure the same thing can happen on an indoor cam. I just wanted to highlight the difference between a card not being recognized due to poor contact vs a card that has been rendered useless.

2 Likes

I have 5 pan cams and,between myself and family, 15 V2s that I monitor, Every one has a SanDisk card ( SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-I). Most have been up for 1+ years without problems -one did have a problem. which a deep format on a PC fixed. As an experiment to rule out cards as a possible cause of other issues. I switched 2 out for SanDisk High Endurance cards 2 months ago and have had no problems with them. The other issues turned out to not be card related but I’m still watching the standard vs HE card issue.
No problems with cams eating cards at all yet, and between them they operate under very diverse conditions. Eating bandwidth is another topic.

3 Likes

I had the same thing happen with my SD card in the garage. It suddenly was not detected for some reason. I ended up reformatting it and it was recognized again. Next time, I will try to just reboot or reinsert the SD card again to send if that will get it detected again.

Yes and no. It’s certainly possible to have a fringe issue that IS software-based. An accidental line of code can have unintended effects if certain conditions are met.

Let’s say, for example, some strange bug affects only users whose camera names start with a non-alphabetical character, and who have the IR sensor switched off. (Totally hypothetical.) It sounds like a weird sequence of events, but it’s not always that weird if you understand the cause. Sometimes, certain ways of displaying things in code assume that certain types of characters are or aren’t used, and if you have an unexperienced or careless developer, you could have someone who writes code to do something based on the camera’s name. But if they call this in an improper way, it could throw an error if the camera name starts with a number. Let’s say that ANOTHER line of code tells the camera to keep trying to write again if the camera is determined to exist but it encounters an unknown error.

Anyway, that’s just an example. Something like that would only affect a fringe group of customers, and might be hard to pinpoint, even though it would technically be reproducible, given the right conditions.

I’m not saying that’s what causes the camera to “eat” SD cards, to whatever extent that happens. I’m just saying that it’s certainly possible to have issues like that.

2 Likes

you definitely top me on knowledge here. thank you for the explanation. I see more of what you are saying there. this is the type of conversation I love on these forums. one where I get to learn something. I with I could rebut you here, but I’ve got nothing but knock knock jokes and something tells me they wouldn’t be very effective concerning the topic of conversation. again thank you for that very detailed explanation. this is where I bow to the Wyze architects due to my lack of knowledge.

1 Like

I’ve had my cameras “eat” 3 SanDisk 32GB Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 98MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUAR-032G-GN6MA

I have all my cameras (I have 2 v1, 3 v2 and 1 Pan) all running continuous recording.

I am going to try some of these high performance ones I guess.

1 Like

Just a personal thought, have you ever tried event-based recording?

1 Like

If you look at the specs for most MicroSD cards, they specifically void the warranty if you use them in continuously-recording surveillance cameras. It’s not an issue with Wyze cameras. It’s just that most MicroSD cards aren’t build to withstand constant writing and rewriting cycles like that.

High endurance cards, on the other hand, are specifically designed to withstand more write/rewrite cycles. So that’s definitely what you need.

1 Like