Wyze Thermostat: Lower the minimum temperature setting limit (currently 50F)

As for whether product managers ever pay any attention to these votes, that’s hard to say for sure.

People on these forums with far more knowledge of Wyze procedures than I’ll likely ever have, have assured me that Wyze product managers DO pay attention to these threads and the number of votes each request sees, factoring that in with a number of other criteria such as the level of effort and expense involved with fulfilling a request.

I haven’t seen solid evidence one way or the other but I’ve only been involved with Wyze as a customer and forum participant for a month or so.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt until more evidence show up one way or the other.

(Yes, I want to continue this “old conversation”, because it’s still a valid request for a desired feature.)

It’s unfortunate when a company won’t provide a simple change like this because, as far as I can figure out, they just don’t want to. It would be a simple change for them. I expect they ask “Why would anyone want their house to be less than 50F?”

Why do I want it? I live alone in a big house–all my kids have moved out, my wife is gone. I spend most of my time in my bedroom. I want my bedroom to be 63F in the winter, but the rest of the house doesn’t need to be above 40F. I wanted a “smart” thermostat with a remote sensor, so I could accomplish that.

To people who ask “how much will the difference cost you, really?” That’s not the whole point. I have a gas heater, I believe it’s my duty to burn as little natural gas as I can, within my financial means. I can’t afford geothermal, I can’t afford solar and electric, but I could deal with the house being at 40F (where the pipes still won’t freeze), and do my part to reduce fossil fuel use. It’s not just about money.

So, there are valid reasons, and I’m certain it would only take a simple change to the code to accomplish this. Why not provide your customers with the ability to use the device outside of narrow, expected norms? It would cost Wyze nothing to do this, it’s just short-sighted “expected use-case scenarios”, There’s no reason not to do it.

Please move this request from “maybe–wish list” to “done, here’s a new feature.”

2 Likes

I COMPLETELY AGREE with this post from Darrin Brunner!

Late to the party, but also suprised this is still an issue after more than 2 years.

I originally wanted this thermostat as a way to remotely turn on my garage furnace.
it’s no fun making multiple trips across the yard in subzero weather.
(walk out, turn on furnace, walk back to house, return to garage once it’s warm)

As to why not 50? because i keep the heat off, when i’m not actually out there (not needed), and if the temp is brought up to 50, you start to get condensation, which is bad for my tools and electronics.
40 is just warm enough to work comfortably with a jacket, but is not warm enough for condensation to form.

1 Like