Wyze Thermostat indoor temp jumps around

Greetings. We recently ordered a wyze thermostat and I got it installed in no time and it was working great with a major exception

When I replaced the thermostat the indoor temp was 68 so when I installed it we set it to 68. The thermostat at this point was set to 68 with a indoor temp reading of 68. After about 30 minutes or so it kicked on and here is where it got interesting. When it kicked on the indoor temp went from 68 to 73 so the heater kicked back off because it thought the house was warmer than what it was but when it kicked off the indoor temp jumped down to 64 and it just kept repeating. I created a support ticket but haven’t really heard anything from them in over a week.

My question is. I have been a software tester for 14 years and this feels like a firmware issue. When I originally connected it to the app I was presented with a firmware update which I did. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to see if this issue still happens?

Thanks in advance!

I have not experienced this. Stays within 1 degree range, +- 0.5 degree from set point (gas forced air furnace). They tstat displays +/- 1.0 degree. Defective maybe?

This sounds less like a firmware issue and more like a bad solder joint on the temperature sensor. Assuming it’s either a RTD or a thermistor, if the solder joint is cracked and changes resistance when movement is felt - for instance, when a relay snaps shut, this would be detected as a temperature change. We already know there is an issue with some of the thermostats where the temperature sensor is damaged in shipping, from the reports of people with devices that read 32. Yours might be damaged in the same way, but just not have completely failed yet.

Awesome, I am trying to get a return/exchange setup but it’s been going on for over a week and it’s hard to get in touch with people about the support ticket.

Thank you very much!

Speadie, do you know if there is a number I can call to get it sped up at all? I can’t take this nest thermostat anymore and I can’t find a good way to get ahold of wyze.

Thanks!

Wyze Support:

Wyze Customer Support (206) 339-9646 Available Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT and Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

3 Likes

Do you have a large hole in the wall that your wires come out of? If so your thermostat may be affected by a draft with in the wall when your heater kicks on. This is common among smart thermostats. If so plug the hole with plumbers putty. Fixed my issue right up.

1 Like