Wyze Thermostat - Disable/Enable motion sensor option

Agree. Mine is wired in the bedroom next to my bed. Every time I get up at night it lights up and bothers my wife.

3 Likes

That’s what I did. Placed a piece of electrical tape on top of the sensor.

1 Like

It’s a workaround but I then lose the motion sensor for Auto Switch. I’d prefer to keep that feature since that’s partly what separates it as a smart thermostat from my old programmable thermostat.

“ Your Wyze Thermostat also has a built in motion sensor. When this sensor detects movement in front of the thermostat while the status is Away, it will automatically switch to Home.”

Even better would be if it would auto light up during the day. Just not at night.

I am the opposite, I find the sensor is very unreliable and about 70% of the time, I have to turn the knob to get the screen to turn on. I find this very frustrating when I just want to quick look at the temp.

As of the last thermostat firmware update (1.1.8) the motion sensor no longer triggers a change in state from Away to Home.
The reason given is there were too many complaints of false triggers.
While I see no complaints on this forum of this problem, I’m told in order to gain back this functionality it must be put on this whishlist forum.
Yes, rather than tell those complaining about false triggers to not use Away, instead they killed the functionality for everyone.
So here it is:
I desire the ability to change the state from Away to Home using the motion sensor on the thermostat.
There are multiple ways this can be done so as to not trip folks up:
Create a thermostat motion trigger for Rules on the App
Restore the old functionality
Additionally, I request the scheduling to also be fixed.
As of the current App you can NOT do multiple Away schedule in a row.
There should be either the ability for multiple Away schedules in a row
OR
part of the trigger rule: IF in Away AND motion detected THEN set to Home for XX minutes

2 Likes

Please add a user selectable option to either enable or disable the motion sensor triggering of the state of the thermostat. The user can then decide if this is a feature they want to use or not.

5 Likes

I don’t mind it lighting up when I walk by, but it would be nice to turn that off for those who don’t want it. What I want is the option for motion in front of the thermostat or on any of the motion sensors connected to the thermostat (the new 3in1 sensors coming out soon) to automatically set the T-stat status back to Home. The T-stat used to this, now that option has been revoked. Please bring that function back and set it as an optional setting. Give a disclaimer when it’s selected if you need to…by all means even use a pop up that tells people that some people may get false detections and if so, they should just disable this feature and stick with the GPS option or something instead.

2 Likes

Please re-enable motion detection to change state from away to home state. User selectable option in settings to enable or disable this feature would be great.

2 Likes

It is crucial to keep the sensor based Away to Home, Home to Away switch. I use the WYZE thermostat in an AirBnB unit and I can’t force guests to use phonce geofencing.

3 Likes

This is yet another perfect example of the use of the function WYZE has disabled.
I just don’t get it.

Add to this, my interim process is to use people detect on a few outside cameras…this doesn’t work well at all.

1 Like

Please re-enable the features we bought the device for.

2 Likes

I have 5 zones of hot water heat. Three zones are mostly in ‘away’ (two in the basement, spare bedroom), Geofencing by cell is not a solution. I don’t need to turn on 5 zones of heat when I get home, I have a schedule for that.

Motion control is great for my application - when someone enters the area, the switch to ‘home temp’ does the job. This feature (now removed) was one of the reasons I went with Wyze. It can’t be that hard to create a ‘motion doesn’t turn on display’ toggle for those that don’t want to put a piece of tape over the motion sensor and restore the ‘motion switches to home’ function.

1 Like

Another thing I don’t get is, I just didn’t see many (any) complaints about this in the forums, yet this functionality was yanked without warning anyone.

I would have never…NEVER updated the firmware had I know this would be removed.

Still, adding this super useful functionality back seems to be taking an act of congress.

3 Likes

Same issue with our Airbnb. And now you can’t create a schedule for just specific days (like Sun-Thurs at checkout)

Frustrating they yank features on a whim, while parts of the app still suggest it’s still supported but indeed no longer works.

I would also like to disable the motion sensor. We have the Wyze thermostat in our store. It works great and we really like it but the motion sensor activation is a distraction for our customers

1 Like

What is distracting to your customers?

We’d rather talk to our customers about our store and what we sell than the thermostat that lights up when they walk near it

1 Like

I get that, I just never saw it as distracting, or attention getting.
They have removed almost all the motion sensing usefulness from the device.
I’d rather they had just added the ability to disable the motion sensor.

1 Like

That’s fair. I know what temp I set it to…seeing it every time I walk through is redundant. Nest allows shutting off this feature on their devices. The Wyze thermostat is in a sort of side area of our store mounted to an old wooden column. Customers have a knack for talking about the old columns, asking about the building’s history, and then finding the brand new thermostat which brightens up when they approach it or walk by. It starts a conversation that isn’t relevant to them visiting us. It’s not the end of the world, just a feature I’d prefer to turn off.

1 Like

That should be able to be turned off.
I’m sure some black electrical tape over the sensor would fix that problem.
Might not look fantastic, though.

1 Like