Wyze Smart Plug

Would love to see Wyze make a smart plug.

Great idea! (Better than the surge protector they haveā€¦ If it was a smart surge protector it would make sense.)

4 Likes

Yes to this.
Am new to wyze and right now trying to set up IFTTT to activate another brand smart plug.

1 Like

Saying ā€œyesā€ is not sufficient. You need to click the VOTE button at the top.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary for them to make a smart plugā€¦ There are plenty of smart plugs already. They need to focus on fixing bugs in the current app, adding new features, and on improving their current cameras.

3 Likes

I agree new features is something that everyone would love to see.

2 Likes

Smart life is an excellent IFTTT app that talks to several smart devices that are IFTTT compliant. Itā€™s available for iOS and Android.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that thereā€™s tons of improvement still to be made with our existing products which is why weā€™re super focused on fixing bugs and launching new features. While the majority of the team is working hard to deliver these updates, my job is to try and see how we can make the Wyze Ecosystem even more useful and to continue delivering on our promise to make quality smart home technology accessible. So when you see new products come out from Wyze (or hear about us working on them) know itā€™s a very small portion of our team and that it doesnā€™t take resources from fixing bugs or adding features. Thanks again for being a member of the community, participating in the forum, and providing us with your feedback!

6 Likes

In case you missed it, Wyze did a video Q&A session a while ago. The subject of this Roadmap topic was addressed in the video. Hereā€™s a link to the video and an index of the content so you can jump directly to the part that addresses this Roadmap topic.

0:40 Outdoor Cam (Dongsheng)
2:15 Wyze Sense ā€“ Home Sensors (Mike)
2:52 Beyond Security Products (Mike)
3:30 Become International Company (Yun)
4:25 Simultaneous Streaming (Tao)
5:05 Improvements to Playback (Bugs, Fast Forward) (Tao)
5:50 RTSP (Frederick)
7:10 Google Assistant (Frederick)
7:40 Apple Homekit (Frederick)
8:35 Google Integration Demo (Frederick)

1 Like

this isnā€™t quite what I was thinking of. I was envisioning a camera that you can just plug into the wall as an integrated thing, no wall wart no cable, just shove it in and set up.

1 Like

Meh, I mean sonoff pratically beat everyone at that game. 5$ for a smart switch that can operate at 2000W, I donā€™t think even wyze can beat them.

I have several smart plugs/switches but no home sensors yet. The first thing I do is change the firmware with firmware which has MQTT. This is so I donā€™t have to use the supplierā€™s or IFTTT app or cloud services. ā€œHome Assistantā€ and I expect other home automation use MQTT. Exposing MQTT for wyze sensors will open the DIY market to wyze.

2 Likes

luongmaihunggia, I started with sonoff but moved to devices with better build quality, IMHO.

Anyway, to take full advantage of sonoff & the other devices, the firmware tasmota is needed to replace the devices original firmware. This is to take advantage of tasmotaā€™s mqtt and timers.

I would be very interested in wyze home sensors at reasonable prices, decent build quality and mqtt. Smart timers would be an added bonus.

I think the sonoff switch works fine out of the box and doesnā€™t really need upgrading. You can remotely turn if on or off from the app or have an on/off schedule, it works with alexa and google assistant, what more can you ask for? But I do agree that the build quality is not very good, when you open it up and look inside you can see some flaw like using solder instead of copper cable to handle high current. Now that I think about it, maybe wyze should just take sonoff design, maybe replace solder with cable and sell it as their own. Afterall thatā€™s how they do it with the wyzecam and wyze cam pan which are just rebranded xiaomi cam which is why they donā€™t need to go through the expensive designing process which is why their cameras are so cheap.

@luongmaihunggia did you upgrade the firmware on yours? To me, the ā€œsonoff basicā€ biggest issue is you must connect AC power to it. The tiny screws into plastic makes this very dangerous as the AC power is not very secure.

Anyway I think we are getting off topic.

It would be interesting to know what sensors wyze is developing. I am interested in motion, sound, light, temperature, humidity, doors/windows open/close and even in wall switch/dimmers as long as they use mqtt.

If the Smart plug worked with the Pan motion detection to activated my alarm siren it would be good. I would want the firmware feature to be able to adjust the amount of time the plug stays ā€˜Onā€™ once activated.

1 Like

The smart plug is really one of the key items that would allow completion of the wyse sense project. The new bulb is good but there are a lot of devices beyond a bulb that would be nice to control.

3 Likes

Would LOVE thisā€¦ a reliable smart plug that is as easy to setup as the cams would be great!

3 Likes

I would love to have my current smart plugs/switches directly integrated with my Wyze products but would really love to simply have Wyze Smart Plugs/Light Switches instead. Better yet Wyze Smart Plugs/Light Switches with Wyze $ pricing!!! I have spent hundreds of dollars over the years in slowly making a lot of things smart / Wifi enabled in my home. I cannot redo this unless it is very cheap and worthwhile to do in terms of feature gain. Such an inexpensive / feature rich set of products from Wyze seems like a dream in the world of smarthome type of products, hopefully a reality one day. A couple of things that I want to mention; I have tried multiple brands of smart plugs and smart light switches over time and I have always found myself coming back to Wemo. This is because of the flexibility that their app provides in stacking multiple rules upon one another. A lot of other smart plugs/switches that I tried were much more limited in terms of what their app/software programming could offer. A couple things worth mentioning below for an upcoming Wyze Smart Plug / Light Switch:

1. One example, if I want a plug/light switch to turn on and then off during certain hours on certain days of the week, most products can do this. However, if I want that same plug/light switch to also turn on and then off at a different time on the same day during the same days of the week, then most products fail to provide this capability within their app/software.

2. Another useful feature is the ability to create/stack semi-automatic rules, if I turn this plug/light switch on then X minutes/hours later it turns off.

3. Another useful feature is the ability to tell the plug/light switch to turn on 20 minutes after sunset and then off 30 minutes before sunrise.

4. Grouping of plugs/light switches would be great as I have never had this feature. If you have a lot of the same brand of smart plugs/switches, it can be difficult to manually turn them all on/off without the ability to group them.

5. For Smart Light Switches MAKE SURE there is a 3-way light switch option. It is always frustrating to invest in a brand of smart products then come to find out that the most useful place to have a smart light switch such as in a hallway, where 3-way light switches are common, cannot be done.

4 Likes

A Wyze plug would be nice, but if Wyze is going to stay closed walls with proprietary hardware, it also needs to build a robust rules engine.