WYZE Sensor Question - Outdoor Use

Has anyone figured out a good way to use the WYZE sensors for outdoor use? They are not weatherproofed, so I am looking for a work around to be able to detect motion at the front door. Does the sensor work through windows? Or would the sensor be okay being put in a spot outside where rain or sun wouldn’t hit it? Not sure how it would hold up in high humidity in other words.

1 Like

The PIR sensor will perform poorly through glass.

2 Likes

One of the very first and very best uses Outdoors for a contact sensor is to put it inside the door of your mailbox if you have a composite mailbox. That way when the mail is delivered it will generate a signal and record the date and time and Cause one or more of your cameras to record, which will then trigger an audible alert notification on your phone so you can go out and get your mail. Amazon sells two different types of mailbox alerters Network using Wi-Fi and they each cost $50. With your $25 sensor kit you can use one set of contacts for your mailbox and you still have one motion detector and one other set of contacts to use for other things

2 Likes

AND a Bridge!

You could put them in a very small zip lock bag for outdoor use

2 Likes

Like all electronics, the Wyze sensors can be damaged by exposure to sunlight, rain, high humidity, high and very low temperatures, and mechanical impact or vibration. If you do install them outside, they may perform OK if mounted under an overhang where they won’t be exposed to these agents.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking for the contact sensors.

To take it up a notch, maybe it could be dipped in latex, varnish, resin, or something without hurting the signal too much?

1 Like

Interesting?

Using a Wyse Sense motion detector.I

Does anyone know how high up can you place it?
Let’s say 10 feet. And can it still detect any motion below it? If so how far below and far out?

I have an access way into the back yard. No lighting at night (too dark for a cam) and that’s just the way I like it. (Sometimes it pays not to advertise).

So a motion sensor could access my future back door camera by alerting it prior to whatever is passing by bear, racoon, cat, woodchuck, dog and yikes, even an unauthorized human.

I was thinking of creating a 3 sided enclosure. To allow it to sense what’s in front n below. While keeping the rain & snow away.

Just thinking out loud.

Never knew securing, peace of mind n ones home! Could be fun n not too expensive!

A tight saran wrap installation should be possible. Like Saran Cam.

6 Likes

Hi, I would think that the area surveilled would depend upon how you oriented the sensor. The coverage pattern is described assuming the sensor is placed on a vertical surface with the lens point outward in a horizontal position. If you were to mount it say with the lens point down, the coverage would be different. It will sense motion up approximatel 26’ and that pattern is of course pie shaped.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I would think the zip lock bags would eliminate physically altering the sensors though

1 Like

Thx,
Good to know!

10 feet up! Is so, no one could tamper (aka take it).

Positioned normally (Horizontal no tilt).

Just wondering if anything, walking past it, from below, will still be detected?

I guess I’ll have some testing to do?

Thx again!

The best way to be sure is to try it out. When I installed my sensors I opened up the app to see when they’re triggered. Then I moved them around to find the perfect placements. You could probably use something like double sided tape to temporarily hold them in place before using the actual sticky pad.

Once you have discovered the surveilled area it would be a good idea to keep a notebook so if you have to move the sensor somewhere else for some reason so you’ll be able to get your placement exactly where you need it to be

I think of the sensor coverage area as an inverted traffic cone. it’s narrowest surveilled area is right in front of the sensor and that spreads out the further away from the camera you go

I’ve found that the motion sensor isn’t as helpful outside as I might have hoped. I have it on a porch that gets a fair amount of sun. Because it detects changes in temperature, any sunny day basically has it going off all the time as the sun hits different parts of the porch and warms them up.

It it still helpful for use outside overnight (bugs don’t trip it) and using it with the mailbox would also be super useful, but overall I’m actually finding more use for the contact sensors.

you might want to look further into that. the time it takes to heat something because of the sun shouldn’t be fast enough to trip the PIR sensor. do you happen to have a motion activated porch light? if you do, compare it to that. they both work on the same principal and the sun shouldn’t be triggering it. the PIR works on differences between ambient heat ( general environmental heat) vs the difference something like a moving body passing through that ambient heat. …the sun would affect the majority of the environment thus there wouldn’t be a drastic enough difference to trigger it…or at least there shouldn’t be.

Gemniii,

The PIR sensor will not work whatsoever through glass. The infrared rays will not be able to pass through glass and cannot detect motion.

Kenner

Didn’t write GLASS, wrote saran.

Just tried it it worked.

2 Likes