Wyze robot vacuum - map editing & additional enhancements

The ability to click on a spot on the map and ha e the vacuum clean that area. Not the whole room just maybe like a 5x5 area you clicked or even add a virtual wall but in reverse so it only cleans in that wall.

Sometimes if I drop something or notice some stuff I want it to clean that up but it would require me selecting the whole room, I would like to select just a spot.

8 Likes

After the initial mapping of the house, it would be nice if the app let me set what is a room. Currently my map thinks that one side of my couch is a different room then the other side. It also thinks my small 10 foot hallway should be 2 different rooms.
This could be implemented like the virtual walls but just lines that you place to say this is the beginning of another room.

2 Likes

Check my above post it was available for a bit you could split merge and rename rooms. I really hope they bring it back soon, this is basic functionality in my opinion.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I never had the ability to edit room names like you but Iā€™m pretty sure that the original product info mentioned renaming rooms so Iā€™m sure we will get it back, or we will holler until we get it. Lol. I suspect that the implementation they chose for it wasnā€™t working out as expected so they pulled it to do something else.

2 Likes

Overall the vacuum has done a great job. My problem is the rooms it is trying to scan is too large. It runs out of battery before it is able to scan all the rooms and vacuum. That leaves rooms completely unscanned. I reran the clean, and the empty rooms were updated but not the labels. Leaving the map severely limited. Seeing the update option I imagine some of the mapping changes will be coming out soon.

4 Likes

Mine couldnā€™t scan my whole house in one charge either, but thatā€™s not a problem. For me at least the vacuum got down to 7%-8% battery left and went back to its base and charged. When it charged back up to 60% it automatically took off again to where it left off and finished the original scan.

But donā€™t even touch it when itā€™s charging, my first try at getting the map was messed up when I decided to empty the dirt bin while it was charging. I accidentally disconnected it from the charger (which itā€™s just sitting up against) and that was enough to confuse the software and cancel the original scan. Second time through I completely left it alone and it finished like it should have. Live and learn. Sure, I agree it shouldnā€™t have issues like that, but they are working on it and the bugs will get worked out.

If your map is missing parts of your floorplan then you may need to delete the map and let it scan again. At least for now until they get us the ability to update the existing map which is on our request list. Lol.

3 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for my vacuum to arrive still. However, I can tell you that I love my EcoVacs (Deebot 900). It has Lidar mapping, but there is definitely a few things that can be improved. It appears, the same shortcomings are going to be found with the Wyze version.

-Map Editing ā€“ Same as everyone else. Itā€™s not enough creating ā€œno-goā€ laters. We need the ability to create rooms. We should be able to drag a box and label the room. Our schedules can allow multiple room selections, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I guess I made the mistake of changing the dust bin as well. I had assumed it did not impact the scan.

I will erase the map and not touch it at all. Really good advice to not touch it in the first scan.

Yeah, I knew right when it did it because I had the app open still. When it went back to the charger in the middle is had a status of something like ā€œpaused to rechargeā€ and after I bumped it I think the bot made the charging sound and then the app only had the ā€œCleanā€ button, it no longer said it was paused to recharge. :frowning:

1 Like

It would also be nice to have different things have different schedules and vacuum suction levels.
I have some rooms that only need a light touch-up every few days (e.g. guest room), others need a deeper cleaning daily (e.g. kitchen).

3 Likes

If we get the map editing we will be able to set up rooms then schedules by suction level and room. The suction level and room already exist in the schedule however not being able to edit mappings keeps those options from being useful.

1 Like

I just got my Wyze vac and agree with this feedback. For some reason it segmented my guest bathroom as two rooms (not a big deal) and is treating my laundry room, closet, master bedroom and master bath as one room (bigger issue). I see no way to edit these rooms without remapping the whole floor.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve had our Wyze Vac for a day. (Great job getting them shipped earlier than expected!) Our house has lots of Christmas stuff still up so I realize weā€™ll have to remap the whole house, but I see what people are saying. It has oddly split some rooms and then moved on leaving half the room done. Being able to edit rooms would be a good big help. Iā€™m sure that theyā€™re paying attention to the feedback of early users and will work on it. Iā€™ve been very impressed with Wyze products.

1 Like

+1 to rotation. Iā€™m pretty impressed with my robot vacuum so far, but when it first mapped out my condo, all the walls are at ~30 degree angle. This makes it hard to set up virtual walls since they can only be axis-aligned, and also sometimes causes the vacuum to bump into walls rather than following them smoothly, as someone else mentioned.

Now I donā€™t know this for sure, but my first map was skewed slightly and when I scanned the house a second time I made sure that the robot vacuum dock was as close to perpendicular to the wall as I could, the hope was that if it started scanning straighter to the wall it might make a straighter map. Iā€™m not sure if it had any bearing on it but my second map was actually pretty straight. Although if you scroll up and look at the map for @thrasher204 it almost seems like the only wall aligned properly is the fairly short wall thatā€™s actually at an angle to the rest of all the other house walls. The vacuum may decide how to orient the map from the first wall it comes into contact with?? As you can see from Thrasher204ā€™s map the yellow triangle is the charging dock and thatā€™s where the bot would have started mapping from. So the wall across from it could have been the first wall it saw with the Lidar and oriented the entire map from that one wall. Itā€™s just a hunch. Because if you look close at his map and draw a line straight right from the dock to the corner of the square object in the middle of that room and then straight down the ā€œangledā€ wall it actually makes a pretty nice 90 degree angle. So from the botā€™s perspective, which has zero knowledge of how this house is layed out, it could look like itā€™s seeing a couple doorways and a wall going down and it orients the map from those points and sticks with that till the end. So it seems to me that if Wyze doesnā€™t give us the ability to rotate the map manually then they should fix this issue by continuing to count how many walls are going in what directions during the initial scan and automatically orient the floorplan so that the MOST number of walls align with vertical and horizontal instead of just the first one seen.

2 Likes

So my robot hasnā€™t gotten a clean scan yet. With a bunch of children in the house mine has found several things that get stuck. Like others have noted, if you move it around the scan is messed up. The latest scan shows my house, but doubles and slightly askew. I will try again.

1 Like

Shawn: Regarding your post of 4 features you would like to see: Absolutely spot on. I also put in a support request for some of these issues. Sure hope we can get some movement here. Thank you for an excellent post!

1 Like

Very well said. I second the motion!
Iā€™m supposed to be getting mine tomorrow, so I donā€™t know what all it can already do, but Iā€™d like to see a ā€œspot cleanā€ function. To be able to ā€œcallā€ it to a particular room and somehow specify a starting point for it to then vacuum a 5ā€™X5ā€™ area.

1 Like

A question and and some observations:

1. How do you remove or relocate a virtual wall once it has been added to the map? Iā€™ve tried to select it in multiple ways without success.
  2. It seems to be very difficult to select room(s) for cleaning on the map, sometimes when I click on a room it will get selected, but generally it does not.
  3. When rooms are selected they show up nicely with a background oval behind their names, but when they are not selected the room number is often unreadable because it is white and gets obscured by the white lines showing the cleaning pattern. The room labels should either be a different color or they should always have a background, with the check box either being checked or unchecked depending on the selection status.

To remove/move a virtual wall -

Click on the small wall icon on bottom right in the map
Now you should be in the ā€œAdd virtual wallā€ mode and see all pre-existing walls with a trash can icon in one corner of each. Hitting that will delete the wall.
To move a wall, press on the center of the wall and hold to move it,

1 Like