Wyze Propane Tank Meter/Scale

I currently live in a rural area where natural gas is non-existent. All of the communities around me everybody uses propane and big propane tanks. It happens to me time and time again where I forget to check the propane. I run out and it is so frustrating. If there is any possibility of a way you guys can create a wyze propane meter. Possibly even solar powered.

A possible workaround would be to place a cam monitoring the gauge on your tank. That way at least you could remotely see the gauge and know your status from anywhere.
Set a reminder with Siri, Alexa or any reminders app to prompt you to look and you are at least better off.
BTW - you can Vote for your own Wishlist topic. Since at the moment here are 0 votes I see you didn’t - jump back in!

3 Likes

I rent my tank from my propane company, and I’m 99% sure they would not permit me to install an electronic gauge on it. If there was one available, it would have to be approved by them, and they would be the ones to install it due to liability issues. Personally, I wouldn’t want to put a constantly on, possible electronic ignition source on an 800-lb. propane tank. Call me paranoid…

3 Likes

An ullage gauge would probably not be allowed. A scale gauge probably would, but it would depend on how ungainly the tank is. A pressure gauge would not be very useful.

I used to work in the remote sensor tank industry.

1 Like

This would be awesome, I rent my 500lb tank and my propane company has a wireless gage on my tank so they know when they need to send someone out to fill it up. I was thinking of buying a tank and this would be a convenient add on.

I would like to put the scale under my BBQ grill propane tank to monitor how much is left.
A mod. On the wyze scale could do that .

I too have a 100 gallon buried propane tank that provide no remote means of measuring consumption. Upon researching a remote measuring device, I found a Generac device that costs about $225. I was ready to buy it, but then learned that they charge about $80 for an annual subscription to provide the app to read the propane level. This is akin to Chevy charging a fee for a gas gauge on the dashboard – who would ever pay for that???

So I completely agree that this is an excellent suggestion for Wyze to build a measuring device for propane tanks. There are 7M homes that run on propane in addition to RVs, grills, and houses with propane fireplaces. All Wyze has to do is watch the Generac Youtube and they’ll learn that Generac’s solution is cell phone technology. What’s needed is a WIFI technology. When and if Wyze introduces this product, I’ll gladly purchase it. I believe every propane supply company out there would be excited to be able to offer this product to their existing customers and prospects.

I know this is a 3 yr old post, but I’ve tested the concept of installing a small wireless camera with a magnet to view the analog gauge already installed on the 100 gallon propane tank. The image was somewhat blurry, but focused enough I can see when it’s approaching 30% which my supplier recommends as a refill point. So I’m looking to buy a new outdoor battery cam (brand to be determined) with a solar panel.

I have a bunch of older V3 magnetic bases, so I would like to use one of those. That said, it would be helpful if a Wyze Support Admin could tell me if the Wyze Cam V3 magnetic base and screw can be attached to the Wyze Battery Cam Pro or Wyze Cam Outdoor.

For all I think the best options right now is:

https://www.amazon.com/Mopeka-Wireless-Propane-Monitor-Residential/dp/B0BKLFQ3CL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Depending on your size needs…

I DEFINITELY THINK this is SOMETHING THAT should BE RECONSIDERED as fitting into the whole home monitoring system…

Maybe contract with these people to get a branded setup that can integrate into the HMS or a gateway to bridge into the Wyze systems… They seem to have the components and just likely some software to work it in…

Voted! SUGGEST RECONSIDERATION! And do this! I don’t even have a use for it, but still DO IT! :slight_smile: :wink:

@rec9140 Coincidentally, that is exactly what I ordered and installed before testing one of my Wyze V3’s. There are a few issues with the Mopeka.

First, it only uses a bluetooth connection back to my house 20’ away, even when I’m standing at the window. Second, their application cannot find the device 50% of the time I check while standing next to the tank. And third, there is no support, no replies to support tickets or email. I’m returning it to the manufacturer this week. I’m going to try a Wyze Cam instead and just use double sided tape to position it. That’s better than nothing I suppose.

It would be great if you could add an LP Tank monitor like this. Wireless Propane Tank Level Monitoring Sensor