Wyze product updates - 02-17-2020

Hey, just wondering if the outdoor cam will have a magnetic base, similar to the Wyze cam? It’d allow for so many easy mounting options.

2 Likes

Great question. @UserCustomerGwen can you at least give us this info? :+1::-1: please.

The only problem with this is that I can be easily stolen if it is within reach from the ground.

1 Like

As always , specifications , price and other details will only be released when the product is available for early access

5 Likes

It would have to be a much, much stronger magnet then the current one. The magnet on the V2 is plenty for indoors, but not even close for outside. Wind would send it flying.

1 Like

I agree but my Wyze Lock still will not Auto Unlock, so I pray since it is available to general public, they have better success than me.

3 Likes

Hopefully there will be some firmware updates for the lock to resolve problems for those that have them. I’ve been lucky and Auto unlock has worked like 99% of the time since I installed it back on the initial early release.

4 Likes

I’m curious what the limiting factor is for your home not having a wired doorbell?

1 Like

So do you have a doorbell at all at this point or is it a gated community type thing?

Just as an example, my house in Florida had a mechanical chime that used a physical button to cause a striker to hit a chime. No electricity needed.

My bothers Condo front door opened to a common hallway, no doorbell of any type, good old fashioned knuckle rapping. Of course from the lobby you used a handset which rang his landline phone, he in turn “buzzed” you in.

Many Apartment complexes work in a similar fashion. No doorbells and no wiring for one. So not having a wired doorbell is actually fairly common especially in multi family structures.

https://www.amazon.com/S-Parker-Electric-Mechanical-Doorbell/dp/B01E4BP4F6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=non+electric+doorbell&qid=1583016061&sr=8-6

3 Likes

I lived in a place like that. Where you used a phone to dial the condo and they’d buzz you in. So I don’t understand the need for doorbell in that type of situation. When you buzz them in you know they’re coming all they need to do is like you said knuckle rap the door and you know they’re there. But I guess everyone has different needs or wants.

Ahh you mount it in the door. it’s more like a peephole than a doorbell or a peephole with a doorbell built-in. Correct?

1 Like

Yes indeed. Very common and needs no electricity at all. Works even during power failures with no batteries!

2 Likes

I’m surprised the condo association would allow you to do that to the door. What if the next owner doesn’t want that they’ve got a big hole in the door

1 Like

The HOA is the one that installed it in ALL the doors. Common hallway remember. They did not “let” me do anything. They pay for the exterior door, it’s maintenance, and to have it painted etc every few years.

2 Likes

got yeah. I misunderstood I thought you meant you and others had added them yourselves. I didn’t realize that the HOA was adding them as a feature to the condo. Pretty nice feature for a condo to have.

I think they were there since the condos were built. A neighbor two doors down is an original owner from 1972, according to him they were there since day one.

2 Likes

I believe that Ring has a peephole camera. Check it out.
Ring Peephole Cam - Smart video doorbell, HD video, 2-way talk, easy installation Amazon.com: Ring Peephole Cam - Smart video doorbell, HD video, 2-way talk, easy installation : Tools & Home Improvement

2 Likes

Yep they sure do. And I am pretty sure Wyze has one in the works. By their nature they almost have to be battery powered. That usually translates to no SD card recording except maybe events.

I was illustrating for a poster above that asked that there were indeed many folks that had no provision for a doorbell, especially a wired one.

3 Likes

The Ring peephole camera is battery powered. By that respect, when Wyze will release their own version, it will be likewise battery powered.

I used to live in a Co-op/condo conversation. I told the board where to shove it and drilled a hard wired camera above the door. And when they came to me, I called my policy friend and told them that I am providing free security services for the building. The shut it Fast. :sunglasses:

2 Likes