WYZE plug 5GHz abort when 2.4GHz is available --SOLUTION

SOLUTION AT BOTTOM AFTER ORIGINAL DETAILS OF PROBLEM.

I have Google WiFi (not new Nest WiFi) in my residence. Google WiFi uses the same name for both the 2.4 and 5GHz band networks. Google WiFi leaves it to the device to choose which band it wants. See this Google support explanation.

The WYZE plug installation aborts as soon as it learns the presence of a 5GHz band. This is the same behavior I experienced with the CNCT brand “smart” inteliPLUG.

Since Google WiFi considers the same name for both bands a “feature” and not something that can be customized, Is there a work-around to make WYZE at least attempt to log in the network rather than abort the installation process?

SOLUTION: I changed the name of the Google WiFi network from JoMaRi-OnHub to JoMaRi-OnHub-24G. No other change in configuration was made. The WYZE Plug setup screen still warned that 5GHz networks were not supported but now when I provided the JoMaRi-OnHub-24G name and password, the WYZE Plug was able to connect and now operates without problem.

Of course, the downside of this solution is that I was forced to change the network settings on EVERY WiFi connected appliance and computer in the house.

I should also note that even though the WYZE cameras require 2.4GHz network, they were fine on my Google WiFi before the name change.

As far as I know I have not lost any functionality by changing the name, although I don’t know if I have any devices that REQUIRE 5GHz and might be misled by the new name.

1 Like

Can you temporarily turn off the 5 GHz radios? Most routers do support that. If so I would try that route first.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @jomariworks. There are already a few threads on the forum about this issue. You can do a search (magnifying glass at the top-right) and maybe see how others have gotten around it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have both 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi system with different names. After 5 minutes of not being able to connect because the plug wanted to connect to the 5GHz system because that’s what my phone is connected to.
OK, so the phone is connecting to the plug via the BLUETOOTH so I simply turned off my WiFi connection on the phone and entered my WiFi info on the phone for the plug and it accepted it and connected.

Problem solved.

This should be your first solution and part of the installation instructions for users with both frequencies (which most people probably have now).