Wyze Lock Bolt - First Impression

Carverofchoice, actually your scenario would not work with the cleaner or maintenance person changing or making codes when they turn the property. This is my biggest issue and disappointed with the Wyze locks. I hope that with some updates and programing from Wyz,
this issue can be resolved.

The problem is that only the person who sets up the lock can give permissions and create codes. Just because you share Wyze doesn’t mean they can create codes. This person can only Bluetooth unlock, or unlock with proximity with the wifi lock. This means that a husband and wife, as an example, can’t each create codes from their respective apps. Only one can do this. What if one is away at work and the other needs to create a code since they are home? You would have to waite for the other to get home to do this. Same goes for your kids, property manager, etc. There are a million use cases for needing to have multiple people set up code.

Wyze, Can we please have user rights or something!! Maybe code sharing vs app houshold sharing?

2 Likes

So I’m just wondering why Wyze didn’t wait to release this product instead of releasing the previous door lock. I’d think most would rather have this version than the first. They seem to have a habit of releasing a version 2 rather quickly after so many already spent money on the first version.

And those of us that besides having a deadlock also have a door handle lock, it means we still have to bring a key to unlock that or leave it unlocked. So it seems like they would have made an auto handle lock as well.

1 Like

It does work as I previously described, I just tested the one I have to be sure:

From my primary account, I shared the Lock Bolt to my Wife’s account (a secondary account). I then turned off my phone as if I wasn’t home anymore. With my wife’s account, I then logged in and connected to the Lock Bolt. From there my wife’s account could select settings then set up any code she wanted on this secondary account:

So shared accounts can set their own codes. I then created a passcode, despite the primary account not even being present or connected in any way. It worked. I then reset the passcode to an entirely different passcode. It let me do this as many times as I wanted from the secondary account.

Thus, anyone who wants to use one of these for an Airbnb could indeed do as I explained above…share the lockbolt to a separate Wyze account for a cleaner or manager. Then instruct the cleaner or manager what to change their log-in code to in between every guest. Then you just give the next guest that code. The cleaner will continue to change that code (their code) to whatever you tell them to change it to every time in between cleanings, etc. So you’d only ever have to set it up for the cleaner once and then tell them what to change it to every time, which this device does allow them to do. The primary account would never have to do anything more than share it to the cleaner/manager and let them keep changing their code when they visit for cleaning, etc. and that is the code that is given to new guests every time and changed every time they leave.

Regardless, as I said before, I agree that the original lock with keypad is a much better option for someone wanting something for Airbnb or internet connectivity. And I also agree that I would LOVE to have this device get internet connectivity added to it. I am fully in agreement with all of those things.

I was trying to be helpful for anyone interested in using these that way that it is indeed possible to use these for the purposes of an Airbnb if someone really wanted to. I tested it out with my lock bolt just now using it being shared to a secondary Wyze account to make sure. It is just not as convenient as it would be if it had internet access, which I also very much want. :+1:

Hopefully that’s helpful to someone considering using these in such a way, but I would recommend most of them instead consider the original lock for this particular purpose.

1 Like

Just one quick question, from the pictures I see there is no key? at least with the Wyze Lock you still can use a key if you need to. but with no key for this what if the lock lost power? would you then be locked out of your house?

1 Like

There is a USB-C port on the bottom of the lock, so you can plug in any portable battery or power source using a standard phone charger cord (USB-C) and it will give power to the device so you can open your door still.

It should also let you know when the battery power gets low, but even if you miss that and let it completely die, you won’t actually be locked out thanks to the power port option in the keypad. :wink: Maybe keep a small, cheap portable battery phone charger in your car or something, if the batteries ever died, you can just connect that and power it back up. Worst case scenario call ANYONE to bring you a little battery with a USB-C cable and you’ll be able to get in. No key necessary.

1 Like

There is no key, correct.

There is a USB C access point for emergency power that once applied will allow you to unlock the door.

Minus one battery, using the Wyze Car Power Bank to unlock Wyze Bolt Lock

Using cell phone to unlock with one battery out (did this with an iPhone 12 Max Pro and Pixel 6 both worked)

Note, to use the cell phone method, you have to plug your cable into the cell phone first, then plug into the Wyze Bolt keypad second.

4 Likes

So now you have to carry a usb c cable with you in case your lock loses power?

1 Like

You don’t have to carry a cord. You’ll probably never even need to use it. It will let you know when the batteries are getting low and you just replace the batteries then (the batteries last a LONG time too). It will give you plenty of warning.

The way I see it, it’s actually more convenient than needing a key for backup. I don’t want to have to remember to carry a key around with me everywhere. And I don’t want to hide a key somewhere on my property in case I need it to unlock my door. I also don’t want to leave a key at someone else’s house in case I lock myself out. All those are issues with key deadbolts that make my lock less convenient and less secure because anyone who finds the key hidden around my house can get in, or anyone I leave a spare with (or anyone that lives with or visits someone they live with), or having to remember to grab one and carry it around (I’ve had metal keys I carried scratch my phone before).

With this, if I ignore the battery warning for days/weeks/months until it goes dead, I don’t need a “special key” nor do I need to pay a lock smith. I can literally call any friend or family member. I can grab ANY phone charging cable out of my car or my garage. I can ask ANY neighbor. I can pick up a cheap one at any store. I don’t have to worry about where to hide a special key, or give access to anyone, or worry if I lose it or if it gets stolen or any number of things. Cords are everywhere and they’re cheap.

Now there is no risk of floating keys or forgetting them or losing them or distributing them or anything. My key is literally everywhere (I can get a cord from almost anywhere) and nowhere at the same time (nobody but me can use any of them to unlock my door because it’s not ACTUALLY a key).

It’s way more relieving and convenient and reassuring to me than having to worry about keys.

But it is totally understandable that some people really want a key option. In that case, the Original Wyze Lock allows people to connect it up to a pre-existing deadbolt that will use a Key as backup for unlocking the deadbolt instead. That alternative device option can be found here:

4 Likes

well personally I carry my car keys around anyway so another key doesn’t bother me, was seriously thinking about the regular Wyze lock but the $147 price for lock and keypad made it impractical where the $70 for this would be more realistic just don’t like the fact of no “emergency” Key entry is stopping me, if they could have only designed it more like this
81VFFBj5clL._AC_SX466_.jpg

1 Like

Or even thinking more on it, keep the price point but separate the keypad from the lock set like the regular Wyze lock and keypad just don’t double the price for it though, even the regular Wyze lock without the keypad is more expensive than this Lock Bolt.

81VFFBj5clL.AC_SX466.jpg

Multiple Pros and Cons in all purchase considerations and I respect everyone’s.

Something Else to Consider from @TheNetGuyDotCom

6 Likes

I think I’m actually going to return both of my new locks. I expected that the added features of the Wyze lock bolt had at a minimum the same features as the original Wyze lock, but that turns out to not be true.

the main reason i like smart locks is that I often cant remember if i locked a door while I’m on the road. the new lock provides me with no way to actually tell or control the lock remotely.

when we are home, we often leave the door open for more natural light, so auto lock is an absolute annoyance since the lock isn’t capable of knowing the status of the door like the original Wyze lock, or communicate with the Wyze door contacts to get the status.

This is a major flaw in the Wyze ecosystem. There are so many products but they all rely on different technologies for communication. Wyze monitoring uses a proprietary protocol so it has a hub. Wyze Outdoor cameras have their own hub, original Wyze lock has its own hub/bridge, now this new Wyze lock is purely bluetooth.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is a WONDERFUL demonstration from @TheNetGuyDotCom that I can link to in the future to perfectly demonstrate one of the reasons why I don’t like having a key option for any of my outdoor locks. Big security flaw [to me]. None of my outdoor locks have a keyhole for this reason. The problem is that most locks without a keyhole have no way to recover if the battery dies…and that’s been okay because they usually warn you far enough in advance, and they don’t all die at the same time anyway, so it’s not a big deal anyway, but this new Wyze lock bolt having a backup power option is very comforting :heart_eyes: compared to similar locks I’ve had in the past that don’t have that.

4 Likes

Looks like a pretty good product for limited use compared to the original which I have now and like.
The only problem I see without having a key backup option like some other options or an old dumb electric keypad lock I had, is any failure other than dead battery. That should hopefully be very rare but if someone has an apartment with only one entrance, I could see that as a potential issue with no way in. Houses usually have another door you could use so not a big deal there.

Sorry to be a naysayer. The lock is interesting but not compelling. You must have a keypad for this. Why? Because if Joe the Plumber calls me at work and says, “hey, I’m here to replace your toilet.” How do you let him in? That’s the way a modern digital lock should work and all of them do except Wyze. It’s nice to be able to program it through bluetooth so you can easily change codes. And that’s the downfall of most locks. But not a big bummer. Once set you don’t do it that often. But a fingerprint reader? Unnecessary complication.
So if you put a keypad on it with bluetooth, I’d be a buyer. Don’t much care for the fingerprint reader.

1 Like

You can generate a One Time Code for Joe the Plumber without being connected to the device.

3 Likes

Can you lock with fingerprint also ?

No need, there’s a dedicated button on the keypad with a lock icon specifically for locking it with a single touch. Accomplishes the same thing.

BUT, if they ever make one with WiFi or allow this to connect to something through Bluetooth to give it that access, they should allow us to set up routines based on our fingerprints. That would be so COOL! :sunglasses: One finger unlocks your door and turns on the lights and all sorts of stuff, another finger could lock the door, turn on notifications and cameras and set your HMS security to on and all sorts of things. Would be so awesome. Maybe a future model? I’d buy a dozen of those and stick them on my inside doors too! :rofl:

2 Likes

Blah commenting sucks here.

How can you set the emergency codes remotely? if you only have a Bluetooth connection how can wyze send data from their server to the lock?

It uses similar technology as 2 Factor Authentication apps, using an encoded algorithm the emergency code is changed every 4 hours in the lock bolt, and the app has that tied to your Wyze account with the same algorithm so that you can securely access a one time emergency code any time you need it to give it to someone for this exact purpose. After they’re used once they are no longer valid, and after 4 hours it expires and is totally changed. This way the lock can be opened remotely in situations exactly as being requested above (let a plumber in…IF you want to).

1 Like