Wyze Gun Safe - First Impression

Interesting, I didn’t even notice it, guessing the stamp was backwards.

5 Likes

OMG, so typical of Wyze.

2 Likes

I have psoriasis on my hands and my iPad has problems with the fingerprint scan frequently. Doesn’t take much to throw them off.

1 Like

I just received my safe. So far I do most of the features but there is room for improvement in the next version. The opening could be more silent. The lock mechanism is loud (but works well) and the door rings ( resonates like chimes ).

1 Like

Nothing New to Wyze V1 products.

I understand that but there is nothing wrong with my fingerprints and as I said, I have no problem unlocking my iPhone each and every time. Yet, my Wyze gun safe keeps not recognizing my fingerprints. And knowing Wyze’s history releasing buggy software, I’ll bet that’s the issue.

1 Like

Not discounting an issue with the safe, just making an observation with my own personal experience. I personally wouldn’t buy a safe with fingerprint recognition but would get one with RFID.

Why?

Because with my psoriasis a fingerprint reader is completely unreliable.

Ah

Form my experience in regards to the Fingerprint scanner and using my dominant hand pointer finger.

I have 2 of these safes. When I set up safe number 1, I was very quick with the primary scanning of my finger print. The result was many failed attempts to unlock. I rescanned my fingerprint being very meticulous, slow, and ensuring I placed my finger in the exact same spot. The result, again many failed attempts to unlock. in both cases probably an 80% failure rate to open using the finger print.

Setting up Safe number 2. I scanned my fingerprint slowly from many angles and different points of pressure and have had much better success using the bio-metric reader. I have had a 95% success rate with this safe. Which I am happy with, for my use case, I am not locking anything that I may need fast/emergency access to.
I reset safe 1 and it operates with the same success rate as safe 2

Some additional tips from the Product Knowledge Article

-Wipe the fingerprint sensor with a cloth to be sure it is clear of dust and debris.

-If you have dry skin, try using a drop of lotion to ensure an accurate reading of your fingerprint.

-Ensure you are covering the entire fingerprint sensor with your finger.
place your finger on the fingerprint sensor then lift it up and down, adjusting slightly each time to ensure a successful scan.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any technology company knowing whether or not I own firearms. And I definitely wouldn’t want a combination embedded in an app or cloud service somehow. Think about the Canadian freedom convoy and how they were instantly frozen out of their donations and bank accounts. Not to mention the outrageous clandestine data gathering by various companies & agencies.

Am I too paranoid of big brother 2nd Amendment overreach? I don’t consider wyze to be totalitarian overlords, per se, even though they are based in a Left Coast Mecca of sorts. However, I was surprised the past couple of years just how many latent dictators emerged to usurp unprecedented control over our lives. All of that said, I’d consider something like a gun safe to be better left old school & off grid… in case, y’know, a manufactured “emergency” was declared and a whole bunch of lawful gun owners suddenly found themselves locked out of their safes or on a stealth registry… :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I have similar issues. If you wet your finger some, it seems to work better.

On one of my phones, I found that if I move my finger while scanning it seemed to work better, especially if I move my finger when I try to logon. I know, weird solution, but it did seem to work. :slight_smile:

I don’t have the safe, but in the promotional and how to video’s, it was indicated that the information is not stored in the cloud or app. It is actually stored within the safe itself. Maybe someone who has one can confirm this - @R.Good ? :wink:

That you know of… :wink:

1 Like

I have issues with many different scanning systems. Spent about half an hour at my federal employer trying to get fingerprint/hand scans. Also at the local county office for some other things. Every time they have to try everything to get them into the system (including hand lotions.)

So true. Hopefully a safe owner can verify.

1 Like

Too funny, when I was getting my fingers scanned in the past, the electronic scanners would not work properly. they finally gave up and pulled out the ink and paper. :slight_smile:

Not sure the extent to which safe data gets transmitted can even be known without access to their cloud platform, raw traffic, etc. TBH, though, my concerns go beyond that technical minutiae. Purchases and any online utilization can somehow be logged if someone desired to aggregate that data in a manner customers weren’t expecting. Think Neustar & Rodney Joffe.

And even if the key lock truly appears to be an independent physical mechanism, it wouldn’t surprise me if that could be overridden somehow. I’m thinking that a disassembly teardown of one of these is in order… :smile:

To me, the most pertinent question about a wyze gun safe is simply “Why?" Outside of being prone to key loss, why introduce any connectivity into something like this? The cool factor doesn’t outweigh snooping implications.

True, I have been in IT for 36+ years and I agree that anything is possible. Security has definitely changed and has gotten a lot better. But I never say never. except for now :slight_smile:

1 Like