Security system or not?

I have supported this statement from the beginning, but…

Months ago they introduced their door/window sensors and motion sensors. They are now marketing and selling a smart lock.

They can make whatever claim the want, but this is now entirely disingenuous.

EDIT: Unless of course we’re not expected to secure our homes with the lock.

2 Likes

Even if you’re using the camera for security purposes, Wyze is certainly not a “home security system” – That’s just an entirely different thing. A lock also isn’t a security system. Kwikset doesn’t make security systems, for example. In general, locks are easy to break. They’re a deterrent, sure, but they’re not a security system. If someone wants to access your home, a power drill will do the trick just about every time, regardless of who made your lock. If you need more security than that, you should hire an actual security system company that comes and installs the equipment for you, installs backup connectivity and power, offers 24/7 monitoring, etc. Wyze doesn’t do any of that. It’s just not the business they’re in.

7 Likes

Products, even those useable as a security device, do not a security company or system make. :rofl:

Paraphrasing there, badly, but I am not a wordsmith. To be considered a security system you need professional bonded monitoring and professional installation.

A DIY system is at best a poor deterrent. Most folks don’t understand camera placement, hardened mounting systems and wired vs wireless systems. In other words when one would use one over the other.

Most insurance companies, mine for instance, don’t give you a discount unless your system includes at a minimum professional monitoring and includes battery and cellular backup.

I could go on but I think I made my point. It would be more disingenuous to call Wyze a security or alarm system.

6 Likes

I think they can be considered a home security system now since Wyze Lock & Wyze Sense were released and the software is integrated/connected somewhat forming a “system”… but their products are still on their very early development stages. Google Authenticator was voted as the top preferred 2FA method for Wyze App… but Wyze still used SMS. I wonder why. If they used Google Authenticator, I guess the “2FA feature not working in other countries” issue will be solved.

A lock provides perimeter security, so yes - it is very much part of a home/business security system.

Regarding the cameras - yes, but Wyze knows very well what market they’ve entered and how these are being used by a majority of population.

3 Likes

I’ve never had a security system, but every place I’ve lived has had a lock. They’re just not the same thing.

2 Likes

Now we’re just playing a game of semantics.

I understand and agree with all your points re: battery backup, monitoring, hardwired, etc…, which is why I’ve supported them in their claim about “not a security company” up until know.

But they are damn well not explicitly marketing them as a baby monitor - we both know that.

And they now sell a smart locks. Would you disagree that any lock, smart or not, provides physical perimeter security? So what if a drill defeats a door lock - all security has limitations and vulnerabilities.

2 Likes

Yup, so every place you live has had perimeter security in the form of a door lock. :wink:

1 Like

Security is an “onion”, not a “wall”.

In the onion model, you may have many layers of security. In this case, per your own admission, you have a single layer of security - a door lock.

Things like cameras, sensors, and the like provide additional layers to your security, much like the layers of an onion.

2 Likes

Semantics indeed. Haha. Anyway, it’s important for Wyze’s data to be secure, no doubt. I’m just saying it’s not a security system. If you need cameras for “security,” you should get something professionally installed and professionally monitored. If you need locks that offer something beyond the basic “perimeter security” that any lock would provide, you also should get something professionally installed and monitored.

1 Like

Kwikset doesn’t sell a security “system”, just one of the components that almost everyone deploys.

If we’re playing fun semantics games, I guess my walls are also a component of my security system. :slight_smile: Haha

2 Likes

Well, yes, they are. It’s part of the home that protects you - from weather, from harm, etc…

Since your door locks don’t offer you, your home and your family any security - why have them at all? Why don’t you spend the afternoon today removing them?

“I’ll lend you $100, but pay me back at the end of the week - with 200% interest”. “Me - nah, I’m not a loan shark”.

People can make any claim they want - but that doesn’t change public perception, nor the reality of how these devices are used.

2 Likes

The problem is - technology changes our reality over time.

I’m sorry you are stuck with the 1980’s notion that a security system must be something like ADP provides. It’s 2020, and security has been completely redefined.

1 Like

Sure. People can use them however they want to. I use my cameras as a deterrent because my neighborhood isn’t the best. But if someone is smart enough to cut electricity and internet to my house before they break in, it’s not Wyze’s fault because they didn’t offer LTE backup and battery backup for every camera, for example.

People can build their own “systems” with whatever various components they want to. If that makes them feel more secure, that’s great.

But it’s definitely not a security system. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s the problem - your definition of security system it static and inflexible.

A security system with LTE, battery backup, etc… is simply A BETTER SECURITY SYSTEM.

Better security systems do not magically negate lesser security systems.

Wyze, of course, claims they are not a security system despite selling security system components to protect themselves from the on-slaught of law suits that would be levied against them each time the system failed. This is a matter of legalese, designed to protect them. This, of course, is also true of Arlo, etc… so I’m not singling Wyze our here. But of course that’s why EVERYONE markets these systems as smart home monitoring.

1 Like

Definitely not marketed as a security system.

1 Like

My definition of a security system is something that is at least marketed as a security system. That would be the minimum. You can buy your own various components and put something together yourself, and it may provide some of the same functions, but even your insurance company isn’t likely to recognize your cobbled-together components as a “security system,” for example.

2 Likes

Your insurance company has a calculated risk matrix, and for them to offer you a discount, any system needs to eliminate X % of that risk.

Those complicated risk calculations are weighted - rightfully so - towards systems with central monitoring stations, battery backup, etc…

But believe me - what is the insurance industry’s bias in security? They have none, right?

Of course not. They need to be sure the system statistically decreases their rate of payouts.

An insurance company is not a security company, unless we start talking a cyber-insurance.

I agree with you. An insurance company is not a security company. Would you agree that Wyze is not a security company? That’s all I’m saying. Otherwise, we’re playing semantics again, and if that’s the game, then there are plenty of senses in which insurance companies are security companies.