Wyze Cam v4 - Released 3/26/2024

Yes, I believe you go into settings and then Event recording and Customize the recordings. It should allow you to toggle on the Person detection in there but all the rest should be greyed out or not selectable.

Crease is a Cylon! Get him!

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m seeing on the Customize Detections screen for the Cam v4. Every checkbox except those for ā€œOther Motionā€ and ā€œOther Soundsā€ is greyed out. Attempts to check/select result in the Get Cam Plus prompt.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I did like watching Apollo and Starbuck and the gang in my younger days, though (maybe not so much into bears and beets).

I should also note that I had the Cam v4 plugged in for a bit before I powered it down to insert a microSD card. When I tap SD Card from the live view screen and scroll back through the timeline, I can see motion events tagged prior to card insertion. When I tap on one of those, the viewer shows a thumbnail with a ā€œFailed to load from local storage.ā€ overlayā€¦but itā€™s still showing me the event thumbnail from that time, which I didnā€™t expect and think is actually pretty cool. Thatā€™s an unexpected surprise.

The muddled messaging about Person Detection is still disappointing, though. If I ever see that it actually is working, then Iā€™ll come back here and issue an apology.

Are you using the Beta or the production app? The beta has some bugs in it, and I wonder if they overlooked this. I do have some V4 cams I can try to test it with though.

I am mostly trying to push back all my extra testing stuff until at least Tuesday though. Because of the federal Holiday next week I have to cram an entire weekā€™s worth of work into this weekend (well, by late Monday night) to meet an important deadlineā€¦and I will be out of town for a lot of Sunday, so Iā€™m definitely pushing my luck and will likely be lacking a lot of sleep over the weekend to cram everything in on time. Trying to have some self control away from FUN stuff like testing. :slight_smile: But if you remind me after Tuesday, Iā€™ll check on my end.

Production. Thatā€™s a fair question.

This is still low priority. I plan to set up and install the rest of the Cam v4s despite the apparent lack of this feature. Getting them below usual Cam OG prices during the current sale seemed like a no-brainer, and theyā€™re definitely useful gadgets even without Person Detection. Iā€™m just trying to figure out if Iā€™m overlooking something obvious or if Iā€™m justifiably perplexed by Wyzeā€™s communication about this thing.

I get it. Even when itā€™s frustrating, the process and learning are fun. Itā€™s better when testing yields favorable conclusions, though. :smile_cat:

I might take you up on that if I havenā€™t figured something out before then. Thanks!

1 Like

I think youā€™re in Canada but those in the US, Costco has a sale on Wyze cameras

Wyze Cam v3 1080p HD Security Camera $19.99
2-Pack Wyze Cam v4 2k HD Security Camera $49.99
2-Pack Wyze Pan v3 Indoor/Outdoor Camera $59.99
Wyze Whole Home Wired Security Camera System Bundle $99.99
Wyze Floodlight Cam with Wyze Cam v3 Indoor/Outdoor Security Camera System $99.99
2-Pack Wyze Floodlight Pro 2.5k QHD Security Cam with Color Night Vision $169.99

1 Like

I think Iā€™m not, but I also donā€™t have a Costco membership. Since I wanted a high endurance microSD to go in each camera and Amazon is matching Wyzeā€™s sale price, I went that route to get everything together (and they all arrived today).

What made you think Iā€™m in :canada:?

1 Like

Thatā€™s great but I am not purchasing any more V3 cams and find out they donā€™t work as in playback events from the SD card. I love the Costco return Policy, easy and fast but I still dislike going back and forth. Sometimes the return line is longer than the entrance line. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

I got you confused with the Canadians in the group.

2 Likes

I had an office mate who bought a laptop from Costco and 6 months later, returned it. I was, what?

I wonder how that happened. I do appreciate the input from my northern brethren here in the Forum, and I have a good friend who lives in Edmontonā€¦. :thinking:

Was it my reference to Letterkenny in another topic? I do like that one and Schittā€™s Creek, soā€¦. :man_shrugging:

No, thereā€™s nothing in particular. Iā€™m not good at remembering names.

1 Like

Fair enough. I just updated my profile to add to the confusion. :wink:

I needed to update it to reflect the Cam v4 anyway, so thanks for the unintended nudge. :grin:

Hey, you have a nice full profile. Looks polished. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve had fun tinkering with it.

The Cam v4 todayā€¦maybe not so much. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, I feel yourā€¦ Not sure of the word, but I feel it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much appreciated. Another flawed automated response from Wyze Support (regarding an unrelated issue) has just :arrow_up: my current frustration, so I think itā€™s time for walkies. :walking_man:

1 Like

Just a heads-up: I think Costco is still cheaper, but I just bought a V4 for $25.98 in the Wyze store. Thatā€™s $10 less per camera than some I bought in the store a couple weeks ago. FYI. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Geez, $25 for these V4 2K cameras is a pretty good deal.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s true even without on-board Person Detection. Iā€™d really like to know what the truth is about that feature, though.

I still havenā€™t figured this one out, and Iā€™m not exactly bullish about an official response from anyone at Wyze to my questions in another topic. Since itā€™s after Tuesday, I figured I should follow-up with this to see if you have any other ideas. Otherwise, Iā€™ll just :game_die: and see what happens when I set up my remaining Cam v4s. I donā€™t expect any difference from what Iā€™ve experienced so far. :man_shrugging: