Wyze cam v3 latest update hobbles Starlight sensor?

Did you guys just hobble the Starlight sensor with your latest update? I bought the v3 months ago and have been enjoying leaving the infrared night mode off because there is enough light in my area to still see stuff at night. Today it looks like mud, like a cheap webcam. Can I just revert to your old firmware and not pick up your updates anymore if you’re going to just do stuff like this?

If you are not in a suburban setting, the starlight sensor may be affected by moon phase and whether the sky is clear. Please provide us with your general location, and snapshot of what the cameras see so we can see your issue. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure about the first half of your question. I do not update my cams when the updates first come out for this very reason. It takes a painfully long time for Wyze to work out all the bugs that should have been identified in Beta. My V3 are still on 4.36.8.32 with great color NV.

To answer your second question… Yes, but it takes some work.

Go to the Release Notes & Firmware Updates page. Click the blue version number of the FW version you want to download, save the download. Only 4.36.9.139 (May 18, 2022) and 4.36.9.131 (April 25, 2022) are available for download.

Then follow the instructions to flash your cam back to that version.

Newshound - backyard pic attached. Am in north America, you can see from the sky that there’s enough light pollution in the city to see my backyard clearly. It was crisp and clear back in Jan/Feb/Mar regardless of moon phase. Yesterday’s moon phase is plenty bright as well.

Slabslayer - thanks for instructions! Unfortunately the cameras are already mounted and I’m not looking forward to the hassle of flashing them. Hopefully Wyze can get this degradation addressed soon. I will take your advice about not updating to heart for next time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I took the updates, on my V3 cameras, and the night vision seems the same… Here is a shot that if you use your eyes, you see nothing at all but black… The closest streetlight is about 600 feet away. It is really dark in my backyard.

I’m using firmware 4.36.9.139 and nothing has changed. Camera installed 2 Feb. 2021.
From last night:

1 Like

thanks camera2, the night vision is working fine. It’s just that I used to be able to see my entire backyard by ‘starlight’, ie leaving the night vision off

1 Like

Antonius - that’s interesting, I installed mine in January I think. Has the weather been hot in your area?

Over 100* a few days last week and a long string of 90’s in the last 2 weeks. last summer it was over 100* for long periods.

For all those affected and watching this topic, I have posted the issue to this month’s Fix-it Friday thread.

If you are still experiencing this issue, feel free to follow the link, like the post with a heart coin, and add your experience in a reply post (if you are so inclined).

1 Like