Wyze cam turned on by itself

My Wyze cam turned “on” by itself. I heard it click on, I walked over to it, the lights were “on” red… but when I opened my app it shows not “on”. It’s clearly “on” I’m looking right at it. So I turned it on and off again. This has to mean that someone hacked into my feed, and is watching through my cam???

1 Like

Not necessarily. Which Wyze cam do you have? Outdoor cam? V2 cam? Cam pan?

2 Likes

Want to turn it off, unplug it.

1 Like

Before we fly off on tangents, what kind of cam do you have? Only the outdoor cam has red lights, so I’d guess they are telling you the camera is charging (flashing) or charged (solid), or in need of reset (fast flashing).

Hacks are unusual unless you are advertising your user ID and have a simplistic or previously hacked password, as with using a Yahoo address.

1 Like

If you want to do it remotely just use a plug(Wyze or other brand).

2 Likes

Yes I have the v2, so yes it does have red lights that come on when it’s on, and it clicks. But I didn’t turn it on. I turn it on remotely, I use the app. Unplugging it is not an option- defeats the purpose of having it. It is set up for motion recording- but not when I’m not the one who turned it on. It has happened several times but a long time ago, I just didn’t pursue a reason, I immediately log on and turn it off, but I don’t want it coming on by itself and I don’t want some one hacking into its live stream. How can I tell? Surely it shows me somewhere, it’s Hooked in to my WiFi, using my Internet isn’t it?

The click is night vision IR filter coming on, and the red lights are the IR LEDs intended for night mode. As noted above the camera is never really turned off in practice: the app just pretends it’s off.

And you’re not hacked and no one is looking at you. Probably. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lolol! Ok, I feel better now, thank you.
And thank you for reminding me about the night vision, … and that technically the camera is always on, but still weird that if it’s not on, the night vision would switch modes in the middle of the day, and when the “camera” is “off”, I even keep night vision disabled, I don’t need it. Hum :thinking:

Thank you for all the informative replies!

1 Like

Yes I have a wyze pan scan and wyze V3 that keeps turning on by them selves and also don’t update to new firmware. The wyze camera outdoor works the bedt fot me. I have a problem with some of my events don’t upload to cloud

It’s getting unbearable with how many issues Wyze have in the past year. I can’t continue like this any more.

It’s shady as hell. I shouldn’t have to unplug my camera to have it turn off. Going with another camera manufacturer. I’ve had enough of this nonsense.