Wyze Bulb causes OTA TV antenna interference

I have noticed that if I have my Wyze Bulb in my living room, which is also where my indoor OTA antenna for my TV is in, (on top of a tall bookshelf), it cause certain channels to not work. I would say anywhere from 10 to 20 feet from the antenna.

For example, channel 11.4 Quest (201 MHz), which is hard to get regardless, with the bulb installed in a lamp, and off, the channel plays, but breaks up alot. When i turn on the bulb, the signal goes away fully and can not be tuned to. If i remove the bulb from the room completely, the channel plays fine, with very few break ups.

It seems any channel in the 200 MHz range won’t work with this WYZE bulb in use.

I have read online several articles that say that certain LED bulbs can cause interference for antenna TV.

1 Like

I have heard of LED bulbs installed in (or near) garage door openers causing interference issues. So, what you said makes sense.

They did take the camera through the paces for FCC. See, https://fccid.io/2ANJHWYZEC1/Test-Report/Test-Report-3565891. I did search the FCC records and it appears the bulb testing is not registered at this time.

This report was in 2017 and applies to the TianJin HuaLai Technology Co., Ltd. Models WYZEC1, iSC5, iSC5C, and iSC5P. At this time I don’t know how to make a correlation to various models we see. It is stated that all models use the same RF modules.

On page 6 of the test report you can see radiated emissions from 9 kHz to 1000 MHz and page 27 radiated emissions for above 1000 MHz. I leave detailed interpretation of the report to you and keep in mind emissions are allowed but the must be below certain limits for QP and AVG measurements.

It does appear there are two emissions of concern near the 200 MHz point, these are 162.0414 MHz and 243.3772 MHz. They both had margin and were below the QP limit, -9.01 and -8.59 respectively, so the AVG is not required.

All the best, Doug

PS – not a wyze employee, just a mere mortal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. I suspect I might not have been totally clear with my comment. I was referring to ANY LED bulb not being recommended in or near a garage door opener, not just Wyze’s (or any other mfgr.) smart bulbs. :slight_smile:

I see,

That may be true to some extent however, it will depend on the quality of LED drivers in use. I’ve worked with LED stage lighting and the drivers generally pulse the LEDs at high frequencies. Sad to say the cheapest ones would interfere with TV Camera optics and create bars on the image.

I plan to keep an eye on the FCC website for any new submittals on wyze products, although they may opt out became of the use of a common RF module. At the very least I would expect there to be an FCC ID # and IC ID # for Canada on the packaging or the device label.

As an experiment, can you take a video of the bulb and see interference lines? This may or may not be conclusive.

Best, Doug

I think you might have meant to post your replies to @SpeedingCheetah, and not me. :slight_smile:

Live in small apartment, have no garage door opener.
But do have extremely heavy and crowded wifi environment.
But wifi frequencies are far far higher than VHF/UHF Antenna TV and every report i read says that won’t affect an antenna, unless it is set directly against the wifi router.

Thanks for the info. Very insightful.

I have a Fiet Electric RGB Smart Bulb as well.
I tried moving that to the same location I had the WYZE bulb at, and that product did not cause any issue with the OTA Antenna.

I do recall reading in a article about this issue that it said items “UL Listed” or something should not cause interference as they should be properly shielded. I guess the WYZE bulb is not. Shame…

Here is a a link to the OTA TV stations map in my area:

I have the Mohu Curve 50 amplified indoor antenna.

Most of the OTA station are UHF ~500-600MHz frequencies.

It is the few VHF-HI (186/198MHZ) stations that are normally hard to get smoothly.
These are the stations that do not work when the WYZE bulb is on.
FOX (9-) and NBC (11-) stations…which are well used stations.

I have tried just setting the antenna out on my patio, and that most certainly makes pretty much all channels work very well, however, I am in an apartment complex, 3rd floor, and antennas are not allowed to be installed out doors or have any hole drilled through the wall for the cable. Optimal Antenna placement, according to the raw map of where the transmitter towers are for the majority of the OTA stations, I need East - West orientation. The only Window that faces that direction is the 2nd bedroom, that has 4 walls between it and my living room and would require several holes and cable run through walls, also not allowed. So, after much testing, the best stop for indoor antenna placement is atop a tall bookcase in livingroom…and where I can’t seem to use a WYZE bulb in anymore.

So, i decided to remove the in line amp that came with the antenna.
I wanted to test that maybe I do not need a amp, and in fact, may be over amplifying some channels causing digitizing. (have to use for a few days to see for sure)

Without the antenna amplifier in place, the WYZE bulb seems to have no effect on the channels mentioned previously.

1 Like

In actuality, “UL listed” or “UL Recognized” does not address electromagnetic compatibility issues in the slightest, UL is only interested in product safety certs such as electric shock and fire hazards. Same goes for CSA, ETL, TUV and so on. This means you have to read through the paperwork to find notes on emissions. What you’re looking for is FCC ratings in the USA and on the European CE Mark declaration of conformity, look for electromagnetic emissions and immunity. That said, if another camera works, it could simply be their emissions are on a different frequency or band.

Best, Doug

We have a Channel Master DA100 yagi, mounted in the attic, within 5-10 feet of three recessed LED lights of one side of the cathedral ceiling (antenna is parallel with the cathedral). FWIW, these lights have no affect on our reception (might be because it’s a yagi ).