WPA3 and Wyze products will work

I was able to get my Wyze products working using WPA3. It might have something to do with my wifi router setup. I have a Netgear Orbi Pro Router SXR80 paired with a Orbi Pro Satellite SXS80. They were purchased as a paired set. I bought this because I wanted to have the latest in security and technology.

You cannot setup any of these using WPA3. The router comes with 4 separate wifi bands. Each can be configured in detail. I set a band up for use with just WPA2 security. I used that to setup and configure 2 wifi electrical plugs, a wifi color bulb, a Cam v2, a Pan Cam, and a Cam v3.

Once setup I switch back to the WPA3 wifi network.which is a separate network with separate IP addressing scheme. Maybe it’s the router because I have no problem controlling my Wyze devices from this separate network.

Another tip is that I could not configure the Wyze plugs when they were in a power strip. I had to put them in their own outlet, configure them, and then I could move them anywhere.

Actually the IP addressing in the WiFi channels is all the same. It’s the LAN addressing that is different.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by this. In the Wyze universe, changing to another WiFi network requires completely resetting each camera (unless both networks have the same SSID and password). Is that what you did?

Or do you simply mean you moved your phone to the WPA3 network and it was able to reach the Wyze devices still on the WPA2 network?

This router comes with 4 full featured WiFi networks preinstalled. All on one device. Each has its own SSID and password. Each can be configured for it’s own security settings. So I have one setup for WPA3 and the other for WPA2. I login to the WPA2 wifi to set the devices up and then, yes, I switch my phone to the WPA3 network to control the devices.

All the WiFi channels are using the same IP system but I could separate it to different IP ranges. Not sure if it would work then?

Okay, that’s nice but then you aren’t really using WPA3 on the Wyze devices at all. You’re just connecting to them via a different local network (whether or NOT they share the same IP range).

1 Like

I don’t know what is built into the hardware of the devices. What I know is that I can run my network in the WPA3 security and access my Wyze devices.

That’s fine, but one reason people wanted to take advantage of the advertised WPA3 support, in addition to the better encryption, was the resistance to deauthorization attacks. So your approach doesn’t really improve that. You have achieved coexistence.

1 Like

That’s swell for people who have WPA3 products. I was just looking at their website and they don’t offer any information on this. Here’s a link to the new Wyze Cam v3. No mention of security anywhere. It seems to me I’m lucky I have the router I do or I would have to junk the Wyze products for junk the router. They can’t be setup on WPA3. Wyze doesn’t offer any information on this. Not good.

The Wyze products - at least the V2 and V3 - are supposed to be WPA3 products.

But apparently they don’t really work.

V2 WPA3 support - Does anyone have it working?

Thanks for the link. My setup might not be ideal but it’s working. It never occurred to me that maybe Wyze products would not work with WPA3 before I bought the new router. I’m glad I got it working. They don’t mention the compatibility in their product specs.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html#pageDetails

But as you see they do claim it in the firmware release notes.

I don’t care much but that poster is convinced it would have prevented attacks on his or her cameras.

1 Like

Well that is an interesting thread. A lot going on there. I’d say the chances of me having a neighbor with the motivation to do that are just about 0%. I suppose illegal traffic such as drug dealing would be motivation to knock the cameras offline.

He mentions Kali Linux as being helpful. I was a member of a Kali Linux group here in Boston. There it was said that security is a life style and not a job. I understood that. It’s not a lifestyle I would want to pursue.

1 Like