Welcome Wyze Thermostat: the simple and affordable way to bring smart heating & cooling to your home - 10/6/20

we don’t need a jumper wire for the Wyze thermostat. Thank you for the picture

4 Likes

Can you look at the controls board in your furnace or HVAC unit? What does it look like?please attach pictures if possible.

So… looking at the control board in the ac airhandler, they are ALSO, 1 2 C R

What is the brand of your system?

2 zone system by floor, 1 HVAC system. Each floor (zone) is controlled by it’s own thermostat. Do, the first floor thermostat cannot control the second floor air flow, and visa versa. Each floor’s thermostat works independently for that floor only.

Also, we run only one floor at a time, never simultaneously.

Will a thermostat on each floor work in this scenario?

The color of the wire generally indicates the letter code for thermostat wires. So, yes.

Y wire should be yellow (Cooling).
W wire should be white (Heating).
R is the red wire and is the “hot” wire with 24VAC coming into it from the transformer.
C is common and is normally blue This wire is used with the R wire to power the thermostat.
G is the green wire and runs the indoor fan on your Furnace / AC without turning on the heating or cooling.
This is the standard wiring method for thermostats, however you should always open up your furnace/ air conditioner to make sure the color of the wires corresponds to the correct markings on your control board.

The 1 and 2 labels give me pause, sometimes that can be an indicator of high voltage, or possibly one of the older communicating systems that are not compatible with any third party thermostats. What brand of furnace do you have, and can you share a picture of the control board?

2 Likes

I believe that it would, but I’m going to have @Chuan give an official answer!

So I tested this morning. 1st I adjusted the schedule so the system would come on 10 min later, then powered off router, then powered off thermostat, left it off for a few minutes then powered back on with router still unplugged. The schedule can’t be accessed from the thermostat itself, but did come on at the correct time according to the schedule I set. So it was a successful test!

9 Likes

Thanks for testing! Good to know it continues to operate on schedule with preset temperature settings. It makes a huge difference for those of us in cold climates that lose power and internet in the winter. One of the reasons why I haven’t replaced my battery powered thermostats.

3 Likes

I hear ya…I’m in MN, so heat is important :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t wait for this. I love how Wyze officially states that this product will save me money and is hereby bound to that contract for all future legal purposes.

1 Like

Qustion about Auto Switch:
Does this only work with one phone? What about other family members? If I am away but a spouse or child is home will the system know? Do they all need to have the Wyze app installed? If yes, do they all need to log in with my account?

“Wyze Thermostat sets the temperature based on where you are, automatically. Auto Switch uses your phone’s Bluetooth to switch between your Home and Away preferences whenever you leave or enter a 3-mile geo-fenced radius around your home.”

BTW, the compatibility tool doesn’t allow selecting less than 4 wires. I was also trying to verify my boiler thermostat which only has R and W.

This is the one I’d like to replace without having to install any additional wires:

if auto-switch switches to away due to geofence, and the thermostat detects a person walking by, it will switch back to home mode. I’m assuming it’s using the PIR on the thermostat.

1 Like

Great if the tstat is in a high traffic area, but if you wfh in an office or bedroom, it’s pointless. I had this issue with Honeywell, and nest in the past. Hopefully two people (one with the account email, and the other with shared access, can have geofencing where both need to leave for away to activate. Lutron does this with my lights, shouldn’t be that hard.

Looks like the way my old furnace was wired before I added extra wires for power and fan. Yours is just a heat on or off wiring that when the thermostat calls for heat, it simply connects those two wires together with a switch. The simplest switch used on those is a mercury switch. In order to use a smart thermostat, you would have to at least add power wires from the transformer on your furnace control board.

1 Like

yeah, that is my problem too. The thermostat is in a hallway but there may not be much traffic passing by it since there is another path from office to kitchen and family members may be upstairs or in a bedroom/office.

It’s a common scenario. Amazing it can’t be planned for.

The add on room sensors should be able to solve the problem of a low traffic area.

I’m confused as to the price of the Wyze Thermostat. @UserCustomerGwen 's posting leads me to believe that the regular price for Wyze Thermostat is $50 or $49.99.

Tip #5 in the “Getting the most out of Wyze Thermostat compatibility checker” email I received today it leads me to believe the regular price for Wyze Thermostat will be more than the current preorder price of $49.99.

" Tip #5: Make sure to pre-order
We’re working on our final pricing for Wyze Thermostat as we speak, but we’re confident that you won’t want to miss the pre-order pricing. Please make sure to take advantage of the limited-time discount on a Wyze Thermostat before it sells out!"

I’d rather not pay $8 shipping to get special “pre-order pricing” if I’ll be able to go to Home Depot sometime this spring and pay less than $58 for Wyze Thermostat.

I’m also hesitant to buy the Thermostat before the additional room sensors are available since I’d rather not have to pay additional shipping on the room sensors once they are available. My concern is that Home Depot will end up selling the room sensors ONLY in a kit with a thermostat. This concern is based on the approach taken with Wyze Sense…it’s only available from HomeDepot when you buy it bundled with a WyzeCam v2.

So is the retail price $49.99/$50? Or is that ONLY the preorder price?

Ultimately I’ll own a Wyze Thermostat and additional temperature sensors for multiple rooms. My goal is to accomplish that while minimizing costs.

What’s a Wyze supporter looking to save costs do in this situation?