WARNING : Wyze cam mic is active dispite disabling it

I have this turned off , live stream still records sound

1 Like

Yes, as I explained, there is currently no way to disable sound in the live stream, short of removing the microphone from the camera. That control only stops the recording of that sound to the SD card [edit: and cloud clips].

3 Likes

I am aware that the live stream plays the live audio of what the camera can hear, but as far as I know, unless you hit the record button, It will not be recording the audio if you have the setting that @Newshound shared turned off. Is that correct?

1 Like

I am hoping that is the case

That’s generally correct. Let me go into more detail:

In live stream the audio is always present. You can mute it at your local device, but that is a local control only, and sound will still be transmitted to any other devices you have that are monitoring the live stream.

If you turn off the ‘Record Sound’ setting, you can disable the automatic recording of the audio to the camera’s SD card [edit: and cloud clips].

If you press the local ‘Record’ button on the live stream page, then the sound will record with the video to a file on your local device irregardless of the ‘Mute’ speaker icon. The mute speaker icon only mutes the speaker locally, and does not have anything other to do with audio. The ‘Record Sound’ setting only affects the SD card [edit: and cloud clips].

4 Likes

As I understand it, there has never been the option to completely mute the mic other than removing it from the camera. The only possible setting, as @Newshound and @Customer mentioned, is whether or not to save audio to the SD card. It would be nice to have the option to turn it off completely through the app to avoid “being overheard” by someone somewhere. The cameras function a little like voice assistants. They listen to us when they are on.

1 Like

Yes, and in reply #5 I included a wishlist item to add a feature to disable the livestream audio, which is what I think @ahmede is after (me too!) But that doesn’t exist today:

4 Likes

Perfect! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

The phone microphone is not used except when you are sending Audio TO the camera.

The mic on the camera is ALWAYS live. This is not new information and is well known. If this is a concern to you then you currently have 2 choices.

1. Stop using the camera.
  2. Remove the mic from the camera.

Perhaps at some point in the future Wyze will allow the mic to be turned off.

5 Likes

I just voted for this option even though I don’t plan to use it. I like having the sound on my recordings. For the rest, I avoid walking around naked at my house since I have cameras.

1 Like

That wishlist item doesn’t affect recording directly (although indirectly it would), it is to disable live stream audio.

3 Likes

In this case, you should have the option to disable it for events that end up in the cloud.

Live audio(mic): off-on

If on ➡️  Audio recording for cloud events: Off-on
                   Audio recording in SD card: Off-on
1 Like

Agreed. In theory, the wishlist item would be akin to removing the microphone, so nothing anywhere would end up with audio. That ultimately depends on how they implement it, of course.

2 Likes

Considering some of us only recently found out that turning the cameras “off” really doesn’t turn them off at all (they are still viewing and alerting to Alexa for example) I wouldn’t put a high degree of confidence in such a software toggle anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, removing the microphone is the one true way to be sure.

4 Likes

Agreed. When I need to be certain I physically unplug the device, and if it has a removable battery I remove that as well.

If it’s a non removable battery then it goes “in the box” like Cool Hand Luke <>.

FYI I generally forbid battery powered cameras inside for that reason. I have 3 and they are all outside.

3 Likes

Go and vote for Wyze to make an update over here…

As mentioned the only way to fully disable the mic is to drill it out or open up the unit and remove it. There are posts about doing this on the forums. I have tried plugging the mic hole and that is futile.

1 Like

Wow! What an egregious and glaring omission by Wyze. How could no one have thought it would be bad to allow anyone to listen in whenever they log into your live stream? I was going to buy 5 of these cameras but will now return the one I bought simply because of this. Very disappointing considering so many other good things about this cam and app.

Hey @Newshound

Where/how is this documented? The Wyze help page is unequivocal.

:question:

I should have included cloud clips as well as SD recordings, but the discussion here is about live stream. Live Stream will still have an active microphone in that audio, even with Record Sound in Advanced Settings turned off. That includes in live stream to Shared users.

You must disconnect the microphone to prevent live stream transmissions of audio.

V2 & V3 microphone disconnect (non-destructive):

1 Like