V3 Timestamp Doesn’t Hold when I move Cam to Local Record

I connected my windows laptop to it while on the Home Screen. It showed up in the WiFi list, put in the password, and it connected. My phone put a green bar at the top letting me know a device was connected. iOS 16.

I wonder if Apple finally changed that in iOS 16?
The other one that annoyed me was that several years ago Apple removed any ability to tell what devices were connected to your hotspot (to protect you was the Apple excuse). Best you could get was a count of how many devices were connected.

Did you just turn this on from your windows laptop? Interesting. I just tried it on my iPhone with iOS 16 and it does work. Interesting…

No, that’s your PCs hotspot.

Your phone just shows up in the wifi list

Yes the laptop showed up on the Wi-Fi list on the iPhone.

Other way around

The network name for the computer mobile hot spot shows up on the iPhone is what I meant.
Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 10.58.27

Create the hotspot on your phone in settings > personal hotspot. Enable the toggle.

On your laptop or whatever else, go to the WiFi networks list. You will see the name of your phone. Connect to that

Thank you all! I got it set up on my phone hotspot here at home. Later going to transport it to the rental property and see if will record to SD card after I leave and take my hotspot away.

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad it is working!

Be sure to have all your SD recording settings the way you want them before you leave it to do it’s work:

Continuous Record or Motion Only
IR Night Vision Auto\on\off
Cam Status Light (seen at night!)
IR lights near\far dusk\dark
HD\SD quality

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning this! I hadn’t caught on to the camera status light and hadn’t explored the IR mode setting.

Only last glitch that may happen is when I unplug it here I have to plug it in over there. Will it look for my hotspot and connect again? And service over there is only about two bars so I hope signal strength is enough. Also, when the hotspot becomes out of range then does it switch to recording on the micro SD card or is it also recording onto the SD card while it is recording in livestream mode because I have it set to record to SD card now?

I’ll be able to pull the SD card tomorrow to see if recorded as hoped.

1 Like

Yes. Have the hotspot running before you plug it in. Let it start up and start recording. Once you can see it ON in the app and pull a live stream, check the SD Playback and you should see the blue shading on the timeline indicating it is recording… all is working and you can shut down the hotspot and let it run.

If you have already set the SD to record continuous, it will start recording when you plug it in and it pulls it’s settings from the server thru the hotspot. It will then continue to record to the SD regardless of your Livestream or Wyze uploaded events happening and without WiFi or Hotspot. It is a completely isolated and independent function that operates on its own so long as it is set to do it at startup. The SD recording does not need or depend on any WiFi after the initial setup.

If you have it set to record on motion, it will only save footage while there is motion in front of the cam. It records footage in 1 minute files full time non stop indexed from the 00 second mark. If no motion in that 1 minute, the cam dumps the footage and never saves it, if there is motion, it saves it. Under continuous recording it saves them all.

You can replace the SD card without unplugging the cam or putting it back on hotspot, just do a live swap. It will start recording to the new card as soon as it is plugged in.

1 Like

OMG! It’s working at my rental on the hotspot! Timestamp is correct. Even playing back! Picture clarity is really good. I didn’t think to bring my laptop to view the SD card however I can do that tomorrow. Nothing’s happening with a survey marker on Sunday.

Should I tell it I’m away when I leave?

Thank you for all the help! I’m so happy with the results! I might like Wyze more than I thought! I have Night Owl and Arlo at home.

So for a dashcam I mount it to my dash with Velcro and then it connects to home WiFi every time and then it’s done? It draws off the car battery when car is off? And, is there a way to change internet source without deleting the camera? If I remember correctly I did push setup at home to get the hotspot but I think I had to delete the cam with the attachment to the home WiFi and set up a new device.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Nope. Just close the app, shut down the hotspot, and drive away. It will do its job until you come back.

@K6CCC can help you with the dashcam setup to be sure to get power that won’t shut off when you turn the key off. I don’t use one for that.

Changing the network it is installed on is just pressing the setup button, going thru the setup w\ the new SSID and PW. Don’t delete it from the app and it will save all the settings.

Once it reconnects to the hotspot tomorrow will I be able to view the recorded footage on the app or do I need to take out the SD card and view it on my laptop?

Thanks!

If the camera reconnects you’ll have all the app functions, which include viewing the locally stored footage.

If it doesn’t connect up, just power cycle the camera while the hotspot is running. Should connect then.

2 Likes

Over here at rental checking it next day. Had a hard time connecting to my hotspot. I unplugged it a couple of times but I did not think to hard close my app. I pushed Setup but without Adding a New Device I couldn’t see how to use that so I deleted the device and started over. Got it to connect that time. I’ll try a little bit harder tomorrow.

The whole day was continuously recorded to my SD card which is how I set it. How do you review the day then to see events? I had to sit pushing “backward” button through the whole day and night just for kicks. I changed it to Event record for tomorrow. Does it index Events in any east way to see what caused the event? Arlo puts a thumbnail of what caused the event for you to review and I’m used to that on my home cat cam to catch when the raccoons come and eat their food.

I’ll check back tomorrow & let you know how it goes connecting. The event that I need recorded happens sometime this week with men installing a property corner marker and then presumably the neighbor coming out at some point and ripping it up like he did last time. I’ll know when the marker is installed but then have to arbitrarily watch the footage for when it’s ripped up but I’ll also know what day that happens so it won’t be too hard to locate.

Is Event recording the way to go with this situation? I just worry it will miss the full length of the event.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

This shouldn’t be necessary. It should automatically reconnect once the hotspot is within range. A power cycle of the cam will also force it to reconnect. Wondering if that is part of the iPhone hotspot connection issues discussed before?

There are no “Events” in SD card recording. Events are a cloud based recording video that is uploaded to the servers over WiFi. Since you do not have WiFi at the cam, there are no cloud Event videos, only SD Video Playback.

In continuous SD recording, the entire timeline should be shaded indicating it is all viewable video. When you change the SD recording to Motion Activated, the timeline will show shaded times where it recorded footage and white when there is no footage. But, there are still no “Event” markers on the timeline in either case.

If it were me, I would stay in continuous so I am sure to get everything. You can go day by day until the marker is gone, then back up a day and go hour by hour till it’s gone, then you can drill down into that hour by increments. The timeline is “pinchable” so that you can increase or decrease the scale to navigate better in tighter time increments.

1 Like

Back at the rental and connection to the hotspot was flawless. Recorded events it my SD card but I’m changing it back to Continuous and will be able to Playback the day I see the marker has been set and then the day the marker is gone.

If I pay for cloud service where I also have the camera located with wifi do I by any chance get event markers like I currently get from Arlo camera? They have a thumbnail of what triggered the event even though it’s located later in the event recording…

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Yes, with Cam plus or Cam plus lite (free) you can get a very simmiler events page. Keep in mind the events listed there are cloud events, so they need internet.

1 Like