V3 camera - allow continuous recording more than 9 days

Hi SlabSlayer, I’m very confused by this reply. My Wyze Cam v3 on firmware 4.36.9.139 (May 2022) is still stuck at 87.94GB recording on a 256gb SD card. Based on the comments above by carverofchoice, I understood that the fix was going into public beta in August. So how was this fixed several releases ago?

2 Likes

The new firmware 4.36.10.2864 (November 2, 2022) is out, but according to their change log, they are doing a rolling push over two weeks, so it might take some time before you receive it.
I am also waiting for the same firmware for all my V3 camera.

1 Like

Is 4.36.10.2864 the first firmware release to fix the 90gb recording bug? I don’t see any mention of it in the patch notes for that release.

1 Like

This feature was actually released in public FW update 4.36.10.2700 which was announced 3 weeks ago (thread below)

4.36.10.2864 is the next release after that.

Not sure why the Release Notes page doesn’t reflect this.

You always have the option to manually download and flash the firmware.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. The fact that 4.36.10.2700 is missing from the Wyze Cam v3 Firmware Release Notes page (presumably along with the description of the fix) was the source of my confusion on this.

I do find it strange that 4.36.10.2700 was released a few weeks ago and hasn’t made it to my cameras yet - must be a very gradual release.

I’ll wait for the release to be made available to my cameras and then download the update through the app and test.

1 Like

I sent a message asking for clarification. Right now I can only speculate that the newest release, 4.36.10.2864, was dropped before a majority of V3’s got the .2700 version. I really don’t understand the recent trend of slow rollout for all the FW. Making users wait for features and fixes that other users are posting about is so frustrating! I pushed all my V3 cams to Beta FW as soon as .2700 was released for Beta testing just to get this very feature for my 256GB cards.

As I indicated though, you are able to download it and flash it to the cam if you don’t want to wait.

2 Likes

My cameras got the update on November 4. A word of warning: Any recordings prior to the firmware update appear to only have loud staticky noise as the audio track.

If that was a known side-effect of their fix, it ought to have been communicated to customers PRIOR TO THE UPDATE! Some customers might have wanted to save clips with useful audio before the firmware comes in and destroys it.

Details or links to where this was reported please. I would like to test on mine.

Which FW update? .2700 or .2864?

What OS? iOS or Android?

What app version?

Did you also just recently update the iOS app to the recent 2.37 Beta release that has changes to the audio codec for downloaded videos?

I’m seeing this on a Pan Cam v2 and a Cam v3, both with .2864.
I’m not seeing it on my Pan Cam v1 with 4.10.9.1472.

Using the Android Wyze app, 2.36.0.96. no update has been offered.

This was posted on August 1, 2022. It’s currently December 18, 2022.

Please explain why I still have this problem despite being told it will/was fixed.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @baxter129!

It probably isn’t working for your V3 cams because your cams are still on firmware prior to the fix - any version 4.36.9.xxx and prior.

The fix is ONLY in firmware versions 4.36.10.xxxx and newer which have NOT been made permanently available for full public release due to unrelated issues that have limited the release.

The only current release version available is 4.36.10.3406 which was pushed only to those on the 4.36.10.2864 release which had to be halted due to unrelated issues. It is being tested for stability and bugs now for those who updated to it. I suspect that it will be released for all V3 cams if it proves out as a stable release. If it doesn’t, I would expect another Beta round.

4.36.10.3406 is available for download and SD Card Manual Flash Update if you would like to join the testing effort. You can provide your testing feedback in the following thread:

3 Likes

SlabSlayer,

Thanks for your info. Based on what you stated, I realized the camera I was checking didn’t have the recent update. However, upon checking other cameras that did receive the update, they aren’t working properly either. They show the correct storage amounts but there is no actual data to be found. I’ve added some screenshots for reference.

That very well may be the little blue bar fibbing to you because it didn’t update.

I see that the date you have selected is November 25.

I am also using 256GB cards and have no video prior to November 26th @ 10pm. That is the limit of the card when recording continuous in full HD. It will also never use the full capacity so that there is room for other functions that may need some space.

If you are recording in HD, your video may start a day or two later than what you have selected.

The real test is to pull the card, read it on a card reader, and see what the latest date folder, hour folder, and minute MP4 is on the card. That will tell you specifically how much time your card will hold when recording continuous.

SlabSlayer,

I did more digging based on your comments, and I’m realizing that “the little blue bar” is a bunch of crap. I’ve found numerous places on ALL of my cameras where the appearance of “the little blue bar” or the lack there of had no bearing wether there was video recorded or not.

Is this a common issue?

:man_shrugging:

I have found it to be more suggestive than regulatory.

3 Likes

WOW!!! Rookie mistake with the email address. Because it was allowing me to respond right from my email, I had no clue it was being posted to the forum. I honestly thought we were having a one on one conversation. :man_facepalming:

Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding if this is a normal problem, I don’t know for sure. I would only “View Playback” when needed. In those specific cases, I either found the “thing” I was looking for or determined it was outside the saved timeframe.

At least for the next few weeks, I’ll be checking my cameras at random to see if this is a reoccurring issue.

1 Like

So I saw a while back that this was fixed and so I put new 256GB memory cards in my Wyze V.3 cams but I didn’t realize the firmware was needing to be updated manually. I read the thread about new firmware version 4.36.10.3406 but it looks like that’s not being rolled out to everyone yet… only people with specific firmware. Is that still accurate? All my cams have firmware version 4.36.9.139 and I’d rather not have to update the firmware manually due to my cam’s locations. From what I understand is that there are bugs in the latest firmware so they haven’t rolled it out to everyone yet? If they work out those bugs, will it be offered through the app to everyone on version 4.36.9.139?

The functionality concerns in question don’t seem to be affecting everyone. Mine all work fine, for example. But there were a percentage of people reporting an issue, so Wyze has suspended the public OTA update to the newer firmware until they can make sure it’s resolved for everyone to have good functionality. There should be a new firmware update coming up that will hopefully be the solution.
In the meantime, like you saw, Wyze is allowing people to manually flash their V3’s to this firmware. If you do so, and you have any problems, you should probably just flash the firmware back to an earlier version again for now.

2 Likes

So I’ve just upgraded my V.3 cams to the latest version of 4.36.10.4054 from version 4.36.9.139. I wanted to clarify if all the the firmware versions going forward include this fix or does a specific version have to be loaded manually still? Or do I have to load a version manually and then upgrade? Can someone clarify, the firmware logs don’t seem to mention this at all.

1 Like

Yes, all future firmware builds will continue to have support for the larger SD cards. :+1:
I don’t think Wyze has done any testing on cards above 512GB, but I expect 1TB and 2TB cards should work as long as they remain SDXC type of microSD cards. I have no idea if SDUC cards (anything over 2TB) will work…but that’s not something to worry about since nobody really buys higher than 2TB for one of these kinds of cameras.

3 Likes