Using the Wyze Cam with a portable external power source

As I am new to all of the Wyze Cam products, I would like to know if there is a way to use a camera like the V2 with a portable and rechargeable power source like a USB power bank. And if so, I am looking for recommendations for the best size mAh wise to use. I want to place one out in a tree in my front yard facing the house to watch my driveway and front porch is why I am asking. Thanks for any help with this.

Here is a search
https://forums.wyze.com/search?expanded=true&q=portable%20power%20source

2 Likes

Tree? Camera isn’t suitable for an exterior installation. There’s an exterior camera model in the works though.

Bigger is better. The larger the battery capacity, the longer the run time.

A V2 cam consumes around 330 mA in day mode, and around 430 mA in night mode with the IR illuminators active. You can do the math to determine run time with a given USB power bank.

1 Like

@qlang243 Using a weatherproof housing of course.

Bye bye warranty. But, that being said, I used a 20000 Ma ‘solar’ rechargeable brick to power aV2 with sensitive motion detection and 24 hr continuous recording and got about 18 hours. It was a new brick and showed a full charge but I can’t verify that the lights are accurate so it may have been less than full.

1 Like

Using a V2 in a weatherproof housing voids the warranty? Does this include the Cam Pan as well?

OK, I get that a external power source or brick as you call it seems to be a bad idea. It would be nice if Wyze produced a product that is self contained including a power supply and external antenna for using in more remote locations. Maybe someday.

I assume it includes all Wyze cams on the warranty question. They are billed as indoor cams.
As far as a battery source, I didn’t mean to indicate it’s a ’ bad’ idea, just limited. They don’t care where their power comes from as long as it meets their requirements. I use mine with the ’ brick’ constantly as a ‘mobile cam’ to monitor areas around and under the house, for example, where wired power may not be easily accessible.

1 Like

Same here. I keep a “spare’ Wyze cam. Mostly I use it as a hot spare if an installed camera is having a problem. For $25, it makes sense.

But I sometimes when I head out and need to monitor an area in the house where there isn’t an outlet. I hook it up to a phone portable charger.

1 Like

Same here for the same reasons. :+1: