Updates to Wyze's Privacy Statements - 1/1/20

Thanks!!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

3 Likes

I don’t believe Wyze is showing disregard.
I just think a summary of the changes would have been nice, and Wyze is usually nice.
Many companies would have let it simmer for a week and only informed the few beta testers for the scale that their personal information had been breached.

I’m also not sure how many purchasers of a $20+ cam want to be “EDUCATED CONSUMERS” versus just buy it and plug it in.

2 Likes

I like the value prop that Wyze offers as well. I think they are trying to do right. But to state that because something is only $20 that you can disregard being educated about it, and it’s security implications, is an ignorant statement.

1 Like

And what security implications are important?

What kind of summary are you looking for? Honestly, I’m curious what you’d like to see. As I said, I ran it through a diff-checker because I was curious, and the substantial differences were related to the new CCPA law, which is exactly what Gwendolyn “summarized” in the first post. :wink:

1 Like

I reread my last post and realized it sounded confrontational. Sorry about that. I know we all want safe, fun and easy to use cameras, sensors, lights and all that. I personally don’t like “the industry, really all industries, in general” when it comes to consumers rights and data privacy. So this recent experience is more of the same and unfortunately will happen again. I wish companies would be fully transparent all of the time. I did have 2FA on so felt safer from that perspective.

Happy New Year to all and Happy Wyze-ing.

6 Likes

I apologize if I am being overly U.S.-centric. But IF “lawful requests” require “warrants” and/or “subpoenas”, maybe those are the “terms” that would be most useful in a “Terms and Conditions” document, don’t you think?

If the terms are intended to apply to other nations where lawful request have other processes and terms for those processes: ( I don’t know, The Queen Requests and Requires that…) then I get why a more general term might have been used. But I’d prefer assurance that none of my stuff gets to governors without due process.

ALSO, if Wyze is served with a warrant and / or subpoena for info about ME, does Wyze agree to notify me that my data has been requested? Or is this all happening in the deep dark background? Or does it depend on the kind of warrant?

1 Like

Thank you for your patience! I gave your suggestion to the team. Here’s the clarifying information I was provided:

We require subpoena, search warrant, court order, or judgment to be issued by a US authority. We respond to court judgments from the United States only. Police requesting data without these documents will not be provided with the information.

5 Likes