Update on Investigation of 2/16/24 Security Issue

My time code (1:21-1:25) was from the Audio only MP3 file. Time code on the video may be different. Glad you found the segment.

1 Like

Looks like CNET has stopped recommending Wyze security devices.

3 Likes

Watchout now…here come the people trying to discredit CNET.

Yeah,

I stopped listening to CNET for a while now. They’ve had all sorts of issues and what they recommend or don’t recommend means very little to me anymore. They are a mere shadow of what they used to be.

I can’t see the hidden reply, but it’s probably one of the earlier ones.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they switched to AI writing! That would explain a lot! I was just thinking their journalism skills had deteriorated a lot lately and wasn’t sure why. That makes a lot of sense. I read this article within a couple of hours of when it published and was confused why the journalism standards aren’t as good as they used to be.

• They said they couldn’t get a comment from anyone at Wyze about the issue, but then quoted a whole bunch of comments from Wyze about the issue
  • They apparently did no research on the company at all. They said “Wyze Forum representative WyzeDave” when talking about the co-owner and co-founder of the entire company Making themselves look incompetent with just cursory journalism skills because the FIRST THING DAVE SAYS in his initial post about the issue is “Cofounder of Wyze here” and they still didn’t understand that. If an AI wrote this article, then it makes much more sense why they didn’t understand things. I mean, it should’ve been the first thing you read from the guy in the first thing he said about the issue is that he is the cofounder. You quoted from the guy who just told you who he is. Seriously embarrassing journalism.
  • For an article about internet concerns for CAMERAS, they just happen to use as their main picture, a LOCK, and the one lock that doesn’t even connect to the internet and is totally unrelated to anything in this article/issue because it’s not a camera and it doesn’t use the internet. :man_facepalming:
  • Saying they let 13,000 people all see actual video footage of other users is factually incorrect (to be clear I am not saying this isn’t a problem, it is, but as a journalist, they should have their facts straight). Firstly, if you want to get technical, there were 13,000 accounts that had the POSSIBILITY of seeing a thumbnail image from another camera. We don’t know how many of those accounts actually saw them. We absolutely know that only 1,504 users clicked on them, and that many of them were limited to just thumbnails and no video. That is not to say it’s okay, but if you’re a journalist you should at least have your facts straight, especially when they’re in the SAME written release you were already pulling quotes from. It’s embarrassing when your reading comprehension sucks and your investigation skills suck when it is part of your high-paying job.
  • They say they are not recommending Wyze because they are concerned about unauthorized people seeing your video or account information, and then IMMEDIATELY recommend companies that are 100% owned by China and subject to a legal agreement to provide all data and all access to everything in their company to the Chinese Government at any time upon request without you ever knowing if or when it happens. Like…WHAT THE WHAT hypocrisy?

What kind of horrid journalism is this? I understand CNET has multiple writers, but even the editors let all that slide too? What happened to real journalism? I don’t care if it is positive or negative. There are plenty of things to be upset about here, but this is lazy and pathetic journalism from a company that should be experts in reporting about tech issues.

I appreciate you sharing that they are using AI to do a lot of their articles, it’s making a lot more sense now. A real investigative reporter would be embarrassed at publishing something this lazy.

Edit Update: Some more info on how bad CNET has gotten…the old CNET that cared about quality is long dead:

4 Likes

I believe I may hsve seen a person part of the breech
…he supposedly said works for Vivant, but he stared up at my Wyze csmera tne day of the breech, snd sat in his car for an hour and a half and is friends eith someone who doesnt want me to have a camera monitoring the street snf now today its happening again.

That the problem I have with Wyze,is their attempt to offload the problem to someone else.The fact that it happened on your watch 3-4 times now is very worrying at the very least.At some point the buck has to stop with you Wyze.

1 Like

What? Lmao

Why have updates stopped on this? I thought WYZE was going to be transparent about it give details about what happened and what they have done to prevent it from happening again, but it’s been awfully quiet since the first couple of days. All they’ve done is deflect blame to AWS and a mystery 3rd party caching software even though ultimately it’s their responsibility and then gone radio silent on it.

1 Like

I was just thinking the same. My last update for the issues ive been having since the 2/16/24 outage has been “we’ve identified the root cause and are working on a solution”.

Ive already purchased cameras from a different brand and will be replacing all my wyze cameras tomorrow. Lack of accountability and transparency comes with a price.

1 Like

As a general rule of thumb, the farther you get from the incident (whatever that incident is), the less often there is something to update.

Let me give an example from my current personal life. I had a total knee replacement 31 days ago. I created an E-Mail announcement group to let friends and family know what is happening. On the day of surgery and the next couple days, I was sending out two announcements every day. Within a few days that was down to once every day then once every two or three days. There simply was not enough changing to be worth making an announcement. Now at 31 days, my latest announcement was just over a week from the prior one.

Same thing with this security issue. Changes will get farther apart, and therefore change announcements will also get farther apart. It takes time to figure things out and then determine fixes. Not something that you snap your fingers and instantly have the answer.

4 Likes

it appears (perhaps) that Wyze needs to tighten up their coding as to how they use the AWS services… An update on this would be helpful at some point. There are many articles on top gotchas to watch out for when using AWS.

CNET definitely should be called out for their shoddy article. I stopped using their site quite awhile ago.

1 Like

I have to disagree. This is just stalling. When it’s early on, the excuse is "It’s too early to see what happened, we need time to investigate the issue but then they never do.

1 Like

how many more times will my privacy be exposed before you guys stop pretending RTSP is a security issue and that intentionally not supporting it is a business tactic to sell subscriptions? this was the last straw for me. just ordered replacements for all my wyze equipment.

for anyone who doesnt understand how these things are connected: RTSP allows you to view your cameras from any device/software that supports it. its trickier to setup but allows you to view all your cameras from any device, as well as the option of limiting your cameras to your own network so that NOBODY on the internet can see them, even though the percentage of wyze customers capable of setting this up is relatively small - it removes the need to use their cloud services, they refuse to support it out of some obviously made up concern for security…meanwhile they get breached regularly and have shown they cant be trusted to keep our privacy secure.

I am furious with Wyze right now. After the outage 1 of my cameras stopped connecting to my wifi. I have tried everything, even a hard reset on the cam. It just says cannot find network name or something like that. All of my other cameras work perfectly fine. I reported the issue and was told there was nothing they could do because the cam was out of warranty. I responded telling them that I didn’t cause this issue, they did. My cam was working just fine before the outage, and that they needed to make this right. I was then offered a $5 coupon… I think it’s time to find a new provider. Such BS.

[mod edit]

Looks like Wyze is not your cup of tea, but it’s working fine for me. Haven’t had any issues since I changed my routers.

[mod edit]

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

[mod edit]
I am pretty sure I am allowed to express my frustrations on a forum dedicated to the company that I am having issues with. [mod edit]

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Sometimes We Disagree

2 Likes

I had the same problem with my camera not connecting after the outage. I removed the camera from my account and then registered it again, and it worked. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it’s worth a try.

CNN has an article on camera.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/09/tech/smart-home-cameras-hackers-security/index.html

1 Like