Two Factor Authentication Requirement

One of my smartphones I use as a monitor, had a pop-up stating that 2FA will be a requirement soon :poop:

This is BULLCHIT

I donā€™t want to deal with 2FA everytime I open the App

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t require it every time you open the app. Only if you sign out of the app and back in and every time you login to your web account or WebView.

1 Like

Signed up for 2fa as per the emails recommendation and immediately lost access to all 30 plus Wyze devices from Google Home and Google Assistant.
Fortunately, after opting out of 2fa things went back to normal. I hope they get this resolved before 2fa is forced upon us.

1 Like

You have to re link Wyze with Alexa and google if you make account changes.

2 Likes

I have 2FA w\ both Google Home and Alexa.

You will only need to relink the skills and provide the 2FA on the relink and all should work without needing it again unless you unlink.

We all remember the Cam Plus Lite saga. In fact, weā€™re still talking about it. Instead of having a photo instead of a video in the events, they will no longer be able to open their application. What a messā€¦ good luck folks.

5 Likes

I stand correct.

4 Likes

Setting up 2fa somehow blocked access to Google home and Google Assistant. After setting it up I told Google to turn on the fan and it said it could not communicate with my Wyze account

Or update the application.

2 Likes

Yea, you gotta re link them.

Thanks much SlabSlayerr. Iā€™ll give it a try when I cool down a bit.

Yeah. Sorry for this. Hit us all upside the head too.

Just trying to work thru it.

Good luck.

Firstly, I mostly agree with your sentiments. I donā€™t like having 2FA for my Wyze account (many reasons for this, but I have a unique complex password, so I am not concerned about leaks on other sites putting my Wyze account at risk).

I am actually surprised Wyze didnā€™t enforce this a long time ago like lots of (if not MOST) other major companies doā€¦and few people avoid the other major companies from forced 2FAā€¦too many people reuse the same passwords, and then suddenly people start using those leaked credentials from other sites to log into their Wyze account and then the person starts spazzing out on social media that their ā€œWyze account was HaCkeD!!!ā€ and Wyze gets bad publicity and it costs them a lot of money in peopleā€™s paranoia, when the issue was never even Wyzeā€™s faultā€¦there were 2 really high publicity ā€œHaCkEd!!!ā€ reports just within the last week that people were freaking out over (mostly on Facebook)ā€¦so itā€™s not too surprising that Wyze is sick of being blamed for things that are usually just bad password management and the userā€™s fault (leaked reused passwords, keyloggers, or a bad actor they associate with who has access to their devices or network).

BUT the other companies typically make it fairly convenient and have failsafes. Iā€™ve avoided Wyzeā€™s 2FA because it has been inconvenient and caused issues with other programs (TinyCam, Home Assistant, Webview in the past, people losing their phone, not having the authenticator app backed up, and so get a bricked Wyze Account, maybe causing bricked WCOā€™s, etcā€¦)ā€¦thatā€™s my main concernā€¦make 2FA as convenient as it is with Google and I wonā€™t mind. Google does ask me about new logins, then remembers the device is approved and thatā€™s it. Simple and easy and not annoying. And if I lose my phone, I have other ways to restore account access.

7 Likes

Only one thing to say: CamPlus Lite.

1 Like

Anyone else get the email about forcing us to use 2FA to access our accounts soon?

It starts outā€¦

Hey Friend,

Weā€™re making an update to better protect your privacy. Previously, using two-factor authentication was strongly encouraged but not mandatory. In the coming weeks, all users will be required to use two-factor authentication to log into a Wyze account.

We recommend setting up [two-factor authentication (2FA) now so youā€™re ready for the change.

Please be sure you have access to the email address associated with your Wyze login so you donā€™t get locked out of your account. If you havenā€™t selected the use of text message or an authenticator app, we will send the 2FA code to the email associated with your Wyze account and you will need that code to log in. If you no longer have access to that email, please [change your Wyze login email ASAP.]

Itā€™s not clear if this is only to log in to your account on the web, use the app, or both. One thing is for sure Iā€™m not going to fiddle with security challenges every time I have to open the Wyze app. Hard pass on that noise.

And since I dont give out my cell number, I hope it will work with email only. Other wise, buh bye.

2 Likes

2fa is for the app only and uses SMS (US phones only) or authenticator app.

2 Likes

It saysā€¦

If you havenā€™t selected the use of text message or an authenticator app, we will send the 2FA code to the email associated with your Wyze account and you will need that code to log in.

Itā€™s not for the app only, anything Wyze. Itā€™s only for signing in, so usually only the first time you download the app and sometimes for updates.

This is the second report of this tonight.

Donā€™t click any links until the authenticity of the email can be verified.

Trying to get confirmation from Wyze nowā€¦

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more. Itā€™s an openly hostile move against every customer they have. Nothing but pain and inconvenience. Itā€™s a very good reason to wean ourselves away from Wyze.

1 Like