Thermostat Heat pump auxiliary heat options

Please add the ability to control the set low temp point threshold for the heat pump and kick over to the next stage of heat. Outdoor temp could be based on local weather data from the internet instead of the need of a outdoor temp sensor.

Please add in the graph section a different color per stage of heat. It would be nice to see heat pump use vs electric/gas/propane/oil use.

[Mod Edit] Title Edited For Search Clarity

Agree this is a deficiency in wyze thermostat. My cheap old Honeywell thermostat does this.

3 Likes

I agree. I can’t find a way to kick it down to Gas when I want/need to. Also it should be kicking to gas if the temp change is more than 2 degrees. That is what I prefer so that the house will heat up more quickly. I have a Goodman Dual Fuel System Heat Pump and Gas. I can’t help but feel the setup isn’t quite right yet. I have an outdoor thermostat on the unit that should tell the unit to change to gas at 40 degrees. It doesn’t seem to do that.

Need an aux/em heat mode only. My old honeywell allowed me to set it like this. Most of time it’s not needed because wyze seems to handle stage 2 heat pretty well so far. But it’s good for testing the system when you want stage 2 heat only.

2 Likes

I agree and I don’t think you question should have merged with mine since you want the ability to run emergency mode manually.

I have heard that if you connect to the “*” wire, you can choose emergency heat, but this seems unnecessary and should be able to be controlled by the white wire. I am going to see if I can update my post to fit your request as well.

Edit: I cannot update my original post because it is locked.

Yes I thought it was odd too. Although somewhat related we’re asking for 2 very different things.

And fwiw the thermostat seems to have it’s own logic like my honeywell as to when to activate stage 2 heat. If it’s more than 5 degrees it kicks in right away. Also it seems to kick in when it anticipates taking x amount of time or more to reach desired temp. This is also what the honeywell did so maybe it’s using the logic already built in to the system. Who knows…I’m not an HVAC pro.

1 Like

I want to be able to disable stage 2 heat that comes on when time to heat times out.
Also there should be a graph that shows how much stage 2 heat has been on. It’s very expensive

3 Likes

Need a way to be able to control the amount of time and/or temperature difference before Auxiliary / Emergency heat comes on with thermostat. It appears the thermostat has an algorithm that it uses to decide when to turn on Aux/Emergency heat. This is causing higher than normal power usage for those of us with heat pumps and auxiliary electric heat strips.

4 Likes

I’m resurrecting this thread because of a recent snow storm that put us w/out power for almost a week. I had a small generator to keeps basics up but my plan is to get a big enough one and a trajnsfer switch to power at least the furnace and well pump. But then I realized I won’t be able to do that becuase this thermostat doesn’t allow you to run Stage 2 heat only (aux or emergency) This seems like a vital function now. How can you design a thermostat test where it only runs Stage 2 heat to test but it’s not a function during normal run times? Help me understand that because it makes no sense to me.

2 Likes

Would really love the ability to have less aux usage.
After switching from my old units to these my aux heat is in wayyyyy too much

1 Like

Hmmm… From my experience, seems like the the problem is that the First Stage Heat is running too much.
Maybe this is a terminology misunderstanding…

Aux Heat and Emergency Heat are really, basically, the same thing. They are both Second Stage Heat.

For example… I have a Dual Fuel System.
The First Stage is a Heat Pump (AC Running backwards). It’s fine until temperatures get below 40°. After that the efficiency drops off sharply.
Then the Second Stage is supposed to kick in. In my case it’s Natural Gas. There is a tradeoff here. Second Stage can be more costly fuel wise, but it heats your house much more quickly. A Heat Pump trying to warm your house when it’s freezing outside is just going to run and run… and just pump cool air into your house. A total waste of energy.

Previously, my system had an Outdoor Sensor that would tell it when it was too cold for the Heat Pump. Now, with the Wyze Thermostat… it doesn’t know… so my understanding is that they just let it run for a certain amount of time and when it sees it’s not changing the temperature, it’ll kick on the Second Stage Heat. What’s bad (seems to me) is that the Heat Pump will try again after the Second Stage has done it’s job… starting the process all over again.

Agreed. 1st stage tries to do too much for too long and then 2nd stage isn’t kicked on when it needs to for maximum efficiency. Something is not right in the logic.

As an example I did a test. Say I like my heat set to 70. On a really cold morning when I get up at 5 I can hear and feel the 2nd stage on and it’s showing let’s say 3 min to reach desired temp of 70. When I up it to 71, I hear the 2nd stage turn off and it’s just heat pump. Then it’ll wait almost 15 min to kick 2nd stage on again to reach 71. That’s not efficient. It should keep 2nd stage on because it’ll reach 71 much quicker.

1 Like