Thermostat heat not working w1 & w2 gas heat

Here is a picture of the new wiring, am I missing something? Feels simple.

Resolved, it was my wiring. I was putting the white in O/B and when I moved it to the W1 it worked.

1 Like

@Brian, any other thoughts on my issues?

Iā€™m kind of at a loss, youā€™re saying you have R, C, Y, Y2, W, W2, G, selected ā€œGasā€, then ā€œForced Airā€ during setup? Is there any way you can post a photo of the furnace board?

I had same problem, it was blowing cold air. All of my wires were connected correctly, so i decided to reset the thermostat and went thru all the configuration again. I have a gas unit, but then i had made a mistake during first time setup i chose central air instead of radiator. Once i ch20201223192619893 anged it my heat started working. I hope this helps

I also have a gas 2 stage furnace with the same symptoms. I think that the wyze is not turning on both stage 1 and stage 2 when it is calling for stage 2, which is required for the furnace to actually fire the burner. Iā€™ve had to switch my furnace back into single stage thermostat mode so that it will ramp up to stage 2 automatically by itself if a stage 1 call runs too long.

Hopefully wyze fixes this soon and gives us the option to specify that W2 is meant to drive the second stage of a gas furnace with W1 running simultaneously.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a weird thermostat, youā€™re reading the outside labels, which are for a heat pump, the inside labels (under the wires) are for conventional heat.

Some gas furnaces have jumper wires that connect W1 and W2 together on the furnace terminal board in the situation where a single stage thermostat is used. While I donā€™t have the Wyze thermostat and have a Nest, it was important to remove that jumper wire on the terminal board to trigger the logic in the furnace that the thermostat is a two stage unit and that the furnace built in logic should relinquish the control of the stages to the thermostat. I have a Trane and I know that American Standard is also made by Trane.

I would advise anyone using a single stage thermostat with a 2 stage gas furnace make sure to read their furnace installation guide lines on how their two stage furnace has been set up with a single stage thermostat. You may find that there could be dip switches or jumper wires that need to be removed or changed on the furnace terminal board when installing a new two stage thermostat.

Personally I found that Nest has always had issues on handling two stage gas furnaces when other Nest features are configured. Because of that I have left my Trane set up as if it is connected to a single stage thermostat and allow the furnace terminal board to control stages rather than the thermostat. In my case stage 2 is invoked by operational time of the furnace. In that situation my furnace starts up in stage 1 and after 10 minutes of run time and set point hasnā€™t been reached, the furnace automatically kicks in stage two.

Thank you for the feedback and help! I agree that it looks like it is not staring the second stage. Iā€™ve just checked the control board and everything looks in order. Iā€™m hoping a fix is imminent!!

image|666x500

@jcanavera thank you also for your input!! I just checked because I thought your suggestion of a jumper wire made sense for my issue. However, I didnā€™t see a jumper. Darn!! I donā€™t have the manual for mine and information is limited online for it so Iā€™m not sure if my hvac has any logic that it can/will default to if a jumper is added on the control board.

Well the key is whether you were using a single stage thermostat prior to installing the Wyze. If so, then you may have a setting on that control board to change or there is something in the setup of the Wyze that is not right. One other thought is to verify wire colors to the terminals at the Wyze and furnace terminal block. Iā€™ve seen situations were an installer has cut or extended wires. Itā€™s not unusual to see a wire color change where the color of the wire to a thermostat terminal is different than the color of the wire at the corresponding terminal on the furnace.

The guy who installed my furnace had to extend my thermostat wire to reach the new furnace terminals. I found wire nut connections to the thermostat wire, outside my furnace cabinet.

I have an advanced furnace, and I tried setting the dip switch to enable 2 stage thermostat operation already. My furnace requires a call on both W1 and W2 to fire in the second stage. if I short the terminals together, it will always run in second stage- this is not the behavior I am looking for. The wyze is only firing W1 or W2, instead of running both of them when W2 is called. For now, Iā€™ve settled on setting the dip switch to run the furnace is single stage thermostat mode, so it automatically ramps up to second stage after a time delay that is based on how long the previous runs took.

This should be for your APG1530

A 5 minute delay is annoying, but at least it will fire second stage.

Having the same issue. just ran a new set of wires from the furnace to use all 6 terminals on the control board. (W2, COM 24V, W/W1, Y/Y2, R, G). When I used the app to setup the thermostat there was not an option for Y/Y2 or G so I selected Y/Y1 and G,G1 . Both heat stage 1 and 2 were setup as a gas forced air furnace. I have a Bryant 2 stage furnace and I turned dip switch 2 to ON (to use the thermostat to control the second stage not the furnace). I also noticed that the furnace wiring diagram has Y1 going to the AC unit and not the furnace board. unlike the diagram my AC unit only has two wires not three (connected to COM 24V and Y/Y2 on the Furnace). The Furnace manual also says "2-stage thermostats to permit only low gas heat operation in response to closing R-W/W1. High-gas heat is supplied only when R to W/W1 and W2 are closed. It does not look like the thermostat is doing this. Turing dip switch 2 to OFF on the furnace so it can figure out when to use the second stageā€¦

1 Like

With some smart thermostats there are some issues controlling the stages so as I noted, letting the furnace control the stages may be the only way to interface the Wyze.

The other thing to understand is that two stage gas furnaces are not always energy saving appliances. Many are designed to optimize comfort in minimizing areas in the home which heat up faster due to their proximity to the furnace itself. The lower burner and fan settings allow the warm air to propagate throughout the home without overheating those areas close to the furnace.

In my home for example, stage 1 operates the burner at 60% capacity. Once the temp outside falls below 30 degrees F, I notice it takes 20 minutes to raise my temperature 1 degree at the thermostat. In stage 2 it takes 10 minutes to get that same temperature rise. Therefore I truly use more fuel to heat my home dependent upon the length of time my thermostat (Nest) calls for Stage 1 heat.

With that thought I decided to allow the furnace to control the stages by using its timed options. At this point I have that option set at 10 minutes. This really improves recovery time from overnight set back and is fuel saving when outside temps dip below 30 degrees F.