The "not intended for security" argument is getting old

These cameras are not nearly robust enough to depend on for security. There are so many ways to defeat them. They are just smart cameras. Use them how you wish.

6 Likes

Throw baseball through window and trigger event. Now you have 4 Minutes and 48 seconds to reach the camera and remove the USB plug in the back. Take the camera, held to a mount with a magnet, with you because all the evidence is inside it on an SD card.

4 Likes

My suggestions to Wyze would be to stop coming out with so many new products so quickly. You’re spreading your talent too thin on all this new stuff. Bullet proof what you already have first.

4 Likes

@resist I think it is a balancing act. If you don’t innovate you get left behind by the market place and if you don’t try to please your existing customers you’re also left behind. From my perspective I think Wyze is on the right path and is trying to balance the two.

7 Likes

Which activates a sound alert to my phone, I check my camera on the Wyze app and see an intruder and call police. Intruder gets arrested. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You wouldn’t see the intruder though. You would just see a broken window. That will be a lower priority on a police call and it will take them longer than 5 minutes to get there. The average response time is 10 minutes in the US.

1 Like

The “alert” function can easily be “disabled” by throwing a ball, wait 15 secs, you now have 4 minutes. Spray paint can easily disable the cameras. Or just some paper and tape.

So what are they good for. You may catch someone in the act (porch pirate, someone across the street). I found raccoons taking things from my porch. I keep one on my garage door so when I am away or in bed if my OCD acts up I can check to make sure the door is down. Most of the time I get a notice when the mailman walks by (again, a bird or insect might trigger the alert and the mailman walks in the cool down period). I have a leaky basement and I set I one down to watch during rail storms. I have deer visit my lawn and I like to see what they do.

If you really wanted to use them for security you could probably buy a whole bunch of them, so they overlap areas so if I goes wrong (bad memory card,etc) you have a backup. Plus you would want a lot of sensors. For doors and windows you would want a sensor that would set off a loud alarm like a smoke detector. But you probably be better off with a real security firm like ADT.

2 Likes

If you want a security system, purchase products which have been designed, built and installed as a security system. Using Wyze products to provide indications that something has changed status, provide the ability to look at a location monitored by a device, know when the delivery guy comes to the door, or to activate other devices to make your life easier is still a fantastic solution. Just don’t rely on it 100% to protect your life or property since it is a low cost introduction into home automation or a non-critical component add on to an existing security system. Wyze is a great solution to enable home automation at a low cost instead of spending large amounts of money to make a security system enable home automation.

8 Likes

@vtester well said. I agree fully.

2 Likes

The 5 minute cool down is to save on server costs. At least that is my understanding.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Products not labeled for a purpose are generally not intended for that purpose. If every product included explicitly what it was not for that would be rather unwieldy. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I agree and believe Wyze is not ready for “prime time”. Fun and economical but not reliable for “security” applications. Sorry Wyze, I am disappointed and do not intend to ramp up purchases.

2 Likes

Exactly, it is not ‘labeled’ as not being a hammer, but it could be used as one if I truly wanted to.

2 Likes

A shop vac it is not ‘labeled’ as not being used to but pick up a car but they did it on mythbusters :smile:

2 Likes

That is very true, the shop car lift kit!

I know I am off-topic but I really miss that show

3 Likes

Wyze products are definitely hobbyist level at this time. Their price point reiterates this. Will they mature or be able to maintain this price point? Don’t know. Seems they are working on it.

2 Likes

Glad that they are working on it. This said, partly because of Wyze, I believe that the prices of “professional” products are certainly coming down. I am considering the purchase of a different system and use Wyze for “Other” applications.

2 Likes

Adam Savage has a new show called , Savage Builds

3 Likes