Suggestions for My New Mount

<span style=“vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=“vertical-align: inherit;”>Hey everyone,</span></span>

I am currently planning to create a protective cover and mount to prevent our WYZE cameras from the threat of wind or birds. My design like this. Can anyone give me some better suggestions?

Thanks!!

hello, would the entire camera be inserted in this cover (case and all), or would it replace the camera case and the internals would be placed inside the cover.

Yes,All the camera will be inserted in this cover, I believe this will help secure the camera more firmly. like this:

Any thoughts for cable management / weather protection?

1 Like

overall this is a nice design. have you considered heat dissipation. it would be less of a concern if only the camera internals were used. a similar example would be the outdoor housing for indoor yi cameras, offered on amazon. the original chassis is discarded and only the camera internals are used. there is decreased concern for heat dissipation, as the internals are not encased “twice.” another recommendation is a rubber gasket that the power cable would pass through, further ensuring weatherproofing by preventing elements from getting inside. to decrease the weight and possible interference issues, have you considered adjusting the case to accommodate removal of the magnetic case, it would not provide much functional value in the case, yet leaving the magnetic base could pose possible interference issues (ir). removal of the magnetic base also enables easier msd access as less steps are required; i.e. open the outdoor case, access the msd directly, no need to move the magnetic base out of the way. also, what if the depth of cover1 and cover2 were reversed. then, cover1 is essentially a “lid” and the camera is inserted into cover2, then the lid (cover1) snaps on top. this would help in situations where the camera is mounted in a high and/or inconvenient location. with the current design, if cover1 came loose, the entire camera could tumble down. if you reverse the design, and cover1 is just a “lid,” if cover1 came loose, only cover1 tumbles down. the camera stays secured in cover2 which is attached to the mount. if cover2 has the greater depth, it could be lined with material to keep the camera snug. do you have any prototypes available for testing.

hello, another concern with inserting the entire camera, versus inserting just the internals, is the possible effect on wireless connectivity/strength.

also can the mount be offered with some form of cable retention, to channel/guide the microusb power cable.

hello, another design consideration is top and bottom cover. camera is inserted into top cover and bottom cover snaps into place. the 2 pieces meet laterally where the hole for microusb cable is located.

also, a separate “quick release” hatch/tab on the bottom for direct microSD access would be great - provided that the housing installation includes magnetic base removal.

regarding heat dissipation and weatherproofing, what material are you considering. materials like plastic and silicon can degrade/warp over time, and do not provide heat dissipation.

outdoor security cameras incorporate metal for their housings.

Thanks very much for your reply.
I’m also using the WYZE v2 now. The camera does heat up when working, but I have leaved space between the shell and the camera, so I think there’s still air that can be convection inside and out (there is a hole in the bottom for drainage ).
Shell 1 and 2 are fixed by screws and they must not come off after installation. The wall mount is also strong enough to accommodate the weight of the magnetic case.
This stand can prevent winds, light rain, and prevent the birds from shaking. However, if it’s completely exposed to heavy rain, I think there may be some problems. My idea is to use it in places such as eaves, walkways and pavilions.
I 3D printed some prototypes, and I will test these issues recently.

Good idea, I will continue to improve these issues.

But I can’t use metal materials, I tested it and this will affect the wireless signal, currently using ABS engineering plastics.

to address the concern of complete exposure to heavy rain, you may want to consider revising 2 items:

• top and bottom cover, instead of front and back, removes exposure of the seam
  • on back of housing, curved "lip" that extends over the microusb hole

thanks, agreed, unless there is an option for external antenna, abs engineering plastics would be ideal.

On the front face of the camera, the camera lens (the black circle) is just pressed into the white face. So water can get between the camera lens and the white housing. There is nothing to seal that gap. Just something to be aware of.

instead of 2 circular cutouts for the camera face, have you considered a single cutout with additional 1-3mm. in the event the camera shifts inside the housing, it would not obstruct ir, lens, etc.

possibly use an o-ring, gasket, etc. on the inside of cover1, to ensure a solid seal.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I tried to use a silicone O-ring on the face of the camera to test it in the rain, but the effect was not very good. If it has been raining for a long time, there will still be a small amount of water infiltration. In addition, if all the places are completely sealed, heat dissipation is a big problem, and two-way audio will also be affected.
What I can do now is that even if a small amount of rain enters the interior of the shell, it can be discharged unimpeded from the bottom of the shell and not affecting the camera.
Therefore, my opinion of this product is that it is not completely waterproof, but it is windproof, dustproof, sunproof, bird-proof, and even theft prevention. If someone needs a completely waterproof mount, I think I should redesign a different product.
Over time, I also hope that someone can help me test this product and see if it is really useful.
Thank you!