Start Planning Wyze V3 placement for Lyrids Meteor shower - April 16th to April 30th, 2021

Can’t wait to see what others catch with their V3s during the upcoming Lyrids Meteor Shower.

There are a whole bunch more folks with V3s, so I’m expecting lots of great captures posted on this thread!

Peak is April 21-22, 2021. Get those V3s pointed straight up!

The Wyze V3 starlight sensor makes it easy to capture a great meteor fireball! So mark your calendars!

Lyrids

Next period of activity: April 16th, 2021 to April 30th, 2021

The Lyrids are a medium strength shower that usually produces good rates for three nights centered on the maximum. These meteors also usually lack persistent trains but can produce fireballs. These meteors are best seen from the northern hemisphere where the radiant is high in the sky at dawn. Activity from this shower can be seen from the southern hemisphere, but at a lower rate.

Shower details - Radiant: 18:04 +34° - ZHR: 18 - Velocity: 30 miles/sec (medium - 48.4km/sec) - Parent Object: C/1861 G1 (Thatcher)

Next Peak - The Lyrids will next peak on the Apr 21-22, 2021 night. On this night, the moon will be 68% full.

3 Likes

More already??? Dang. I remember in December thinking "it’s months before the next show! " Theeeeir heereeee!

This peak is 68% moon? Or next year’s is? What’s this year gonna be?

2 Likes

Yeah, a bit bummed by the 68% moon. Hopefully that won’t wash out the captures. But we can hope. As you know, I’m addicted to capturing meteors with my V3s … the heck with trying to capture bad guys … they are a dime a dozen … but a meteor capture is out of this world, priceless!

I edited my original post with a bunch of 2021s. At the rate time is flying, the 2022 Lyrids will be here before we know it, but the 2021 Lyrids will be here soon!

and I just took mine down lol

Get it back up and get with the program! Well, you still have a couple of weeks before you need to redeploy it.

Hopefully we get some good cloudless nights!

Oops real the OP wrong. I thought the “next peak” statement was for next year. To many twos in the sentence, thought it mentioned 2022. 68% this year, gotcha. Lol

I’m a meteor addict … and admit to looking at the entire 2021 meteor shower events. And yes, the 2022 events are also posted online (and I admit I’ve looked at them). But I don’t want others to think I’m obsessed!

I blame the WYZE V3 camera for my meteor addiction. The little camera makes it sooooo easy to capture meteors. Just place it facing straight up and go to bed. My style. Easy. And I can sleep in and wake up at my leisure to see what I caught.

1 Like

Is there anything I can do to deal with the massive light pollution that I have? I would rather go camp for this, but alas not this year.

@todwatts Never thought of doing this!!! Just got a few v3 cameras a couple weeks ago. Now I’m excited to to try this out, especially considering the recent views people have caught out west in the last couple days. Thank you😃

1 Like

Time’s almost up! Get those Wyze V3s with snazzy night vision Starlight sensors pointed up to hopefully capture some Lyrids, starting a week from now!

There’s a chance (uncommon) that the Lyrids could surge to 100 meteors per hour, according to EarthSky.org:

April 22, 2021, before dawn, the Lyrids
The Lyrid meteor shower – April’s shooting stars – lasts from about April 16 to 25. About 10 to 15 meteors per hour can be expected around the shower’s peak, in a dark sky. This year, the best time to watch may be the hour or two between moonset and dawn. The Lyrids are known for uncommon surges that can sometimes bring the rate up to 100 per hour. Those rare outbursts are not easy to predict, but they’re one of the reasons the tantalizing Lyrids are worth checking out. The radiant for this shower is near the bright star Vega in the constellation Lyra (chart here), which rises in the northeast at about 10 p.m. on April evenings. In 2021, we expect the peak viewing to take place in the dark hour before dawn April 22, after moonset.

According to a website that lists moon rise and moon set, moonset at my location will be around 4:02 am on the 22nd. Hopefully the clouds will also cooperate.

Moonrise and Moonset Calculator (timeanddate.com)

I would still like to know if it will be worth it to try, I live downtown with alot of light pollution. Will those of us in this situation be able to even see the show?

It’s heeerrreeeee! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

V3 Locked and loaded. Scanning the night time skies for alien intruders and assorted space junk sailing passed the earth or crashing into our atmosphere.

Please post your Lyrids meteor captures here!

1 Like

Appears I caught my first Lyrids meteor on my “SKY” V3 last night (4/16) at 9;22 pm CST … the first night of the event!

Lyrids normally have no persistent train (tail) but display a fireball. The fireball was bright enough through a thin cloud cover to trigger an event recording on my V3.

Get those V3s point straight up! The Lyrids peak will be evening of April 21-22.

@WyzeDongsheng @WyzeChao The V3 with its starlight sensor is absolutely amazing! I can’t get enough of this little gem. My V3s are multiplying like rabbits!

3 Likes

Found this slick webpage to “guesstimate” the cloud cover on any given night. My area is going to be socked in tonight. Hopefully others will have clear skies above them to capture and post some more Lyrids meteor captures.

It’s also looking “Iffy” for me on the peak night, April 21-22, but that’s still a few days away.

Dark Sky Maps