Smaller Grid or Free-Form Detection Zone Boxes - Wyze Cam

The “Grid Detection Zone Boxes” are too large. They need to be smaller. It is difficult to narrowly define areas to be included or excluded. While the grid feature is nice, again, the boxes are too large; they do not work well; and, too many notifications are generated and sent on excluded areas on the grid. Also, there is no knowledge base posted on using the “Grid Detection Zone.” Several of the support staff that I have spoken with are not even aware the grid detection zone exists. At this point, I would rather go back to the single rectangular box. At lease it worked better, was more accurate, more user friendly, and the support staff knows about it.

Mod edit edited subject to improve clarity and searchability

I totally agree smaller boxes are needed. I have to many bushes, shadows, etc. . that blow in the wind setting off notifications. Or wasting area that needs detected because box is to big, because what is in half the box keeps setting off notifications if turned off. I love the grid for the most part. Smaller boxes would solve my issue tremendously. I would not want to go back to one big zone.

4 Likes

I agree!

I just reverted my WyzeCam 2 from a Webcam for the first time since March 2020 and have noticed that the new detection grid sucks. I like dragging the old marquee box instead.

Now, I know that the advantages of having a grid are that the user can select multiple detection areas, but, i have large fingers and it is very hard for me to select just a plain old square. How hard would it be to be able to drag a detection zone with a marquee then select “Add Detection Zone” or a “+” to add another zone?

The grid may look cool, but really, it’s awkard, doesn’t work well…a step backward.

I agree… when you blacken the area you want to eliminate it still constantly sends notifications! Every five minutes … it has gotten to the point where I ignore the notifications. Net result… a Heron has taken FIVE of my pet koi and I couldn’t avoid it. I have seven cameras and it’s not good.
When Wyze started out and just had cameras, things were great. I’ve spent over $300 on the equipment and I’m sorry to say… Ring is working flawlessly. Their cost is comparable - $3 a month.
This is a damned shame.

1 Like

Reduce the Detection zone boxes by 50-66% for finer tuning of the Zone. The boxes a just a little too big and create issues about certain areas the need to be zoned, but can’t because the box is too big.

3 Likes

I brought that up a long time ago. Sure would help as they are way to big. Hopefully it is part of the plan.

1 Like

Smaller detection zone squares

There’s many times when a full square is just a bit too much (or too little) for blocking trigger areas. I know I can move the camera up\down, however then the view changes (for example) I don’t want to get the cars (or what not) driving by on cameras when trying to watch my front gates. So would be sweet if the detection zones in detection settings would be half the current size.

3 Likes

I too would like smaller grid boxes. The boxes are too large to be of much use most of the time.

2 Likes

I’ve been asking for this as well. They are too large.

1 Like

I agree. The grid boxes are entirely too large. Smaller boxes are needed. As they currently are, they are, for the most part useless. It would take very little effort and time to embed coding to make the grid boxes smaller.

1 Like

They don’t seem to care. I commented the same thing almost a year and a half ago? It’s still big issue?

I understand. Shortly after the grids were first introduced, it commented that the grids were too large. Nothing was done. While the boxes did have their shortcomings, at least I was able to better define the areas for event recording. Now, I can’t even define those areas because the grid boxes are too large. This is soooo sad.

1 Like

I spose they’ll give us smaller detection zone boxes when they come around to giving us landscape view :grimacing:

I would much prefer a free-form/hand version of adding your own custom detection zone, but I’d settle with smaller grid boxes for my wyze doorbell pro. It seems that the detection zones have smaller boxes in the grid for other wyze cam models but the boxes are huge for the doorbell pro.

1 Like

Long ago the squares in the detection setting used to be much smaller allowing for a more precise outline for where you need to enable detection. It has since changed and I constantly am struggling with depleted batteries and hundreds of unnecessary notifications because I cannot set the detection areas on a more granular level. The distance and sensitivity settings are of no value and just a pain to keep messing with. If the current square could be broken down into 4 smaller squares it would provide the necessary ability to become useful. There is no angle where I have any of my cameras (10) that aren’t plagued with this issue. I have all versions of your cameras and struggle with this issue.

1 Like

I have asked for smaller squares too a couple of years ago as I have the same issue as you.
I try to adjust the cameras so that the squares are in a more desirable spot to block out detection areas, but then the camera’s are not in the correct position to view what I want in the camera’s view. Very frustrating!

1 Like

I couldn’t reply to my original post for some reason, but I am glad that someone did find this previous feed of complaints on the same issue.
spent over 40min with someone at Wyze on chat for a very frustrating result - they were using the wrong terminology telling me I could adjust the size of the squares in the grid (but ended up meaning I can enable or disable the square) in the end…NO HELP AT ALL…

I wish someone from Wyze would read this thread and provide the solution enabling us to have smaller squares to be able to refine where we need the coverage. Could be such a great camera and feature set - but currently just annoying and too unpredictable and unreliable for me to even consider connecting to their alarm/security package.

The picture I previously posted shows the squares that are enabled & disabled - their just too large currently

@spamoni