Rule for Windy vs Calm days?

Would be handy to create rule that takes Motion Detection Sensitivity on all cams from maybe a setting of 35-40 to maybe 20 for windy days.
Unfortunately I haven’t figured out a way to do this, but maybe I’m just missing something?

1 Like

Cam Plus doesn’t notify of wind related events when setup properly.

2 Likes

On extremely windy days, especially in the fall when leaves are blowing around, my cams will motion activate more often as well. I also find that fog and that fine mist rain that blows around is also problematic.

And, since we already know CamPlus isn’t 100% accurate 100% of the time (79% of the time it works every time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and will return false tags at times, it would be beneficial to be able to quickly adjust cam sensitivity to varying environmental conditions.

This would fall into the “Add more Actions to Wyze rules” Wishlist topic linked below. And, it has already been requested and listed on the topic first post.

You can follow the link, vote at the top, drop some like :heart: hearts on post ideas that catch your eye, or add a reply post. I have also included a search link to find the posts within that wishlist topic that suggest a sensitivity action.

https://forums.wyze.com/search?context=topic&context_id=11369&q=Sensitivity&skip_context=false

3 Likes

You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for these existing wishlist topics:

Windy Day Button

Weather algorithm

Motion Algorithm to Ignore Blowing Leaves/Shadows/Bugs/Snow/Rain/Headlights

2 Likes

The last windy day both my V3 cams were sending numerous notifications due to the moving shadows of large trees, in major portions of view that I want to monitor for people.
Lowering the Motion Sensitivity from 40 to around 20 helped, but then it seemed people coming into view aren’t detected till later in their path.

Cam Plus Trial, Event Recording = Detects Motion, Sound Off, Smart Detection AI = All Checked. Notifications = Wyze AI events, Detects any other motion, Sound Off.

What settings should I change?

This one will return a notification every time there is ANY motion. If you turn that off, but leave on the Smart AI notifications, you should only be notified with AI motion.

You can also use the Detection Zone to block out high movement areas.

1 Like

Edit: If you are running firmware version 4.36.10.2632 or higher, the following applies. If running an earlier version, your only options are as indicated by @SlabSlayer above.

There are TWO items you need to set, Recording and Notifications. Notifications are the result of recordings (events), but are independently selectable. I.e., you can record everything or specific types, but you can select independently select which types you receive notifications.

Recording:
From your phone/tablet, go to Wyze app Home > your cam > Settings (gear icon upper right) > Event Recording.

Notifications:

• From your phone/tablet, go to Wyze app Home > your cam > Settings (gear icon upper right) > Notifications.
  • Toggle on “Notifications”
  • Choose the motion event AI types you wish to receive notifications for. IMPORTANT: If you chose to record all motion events, make sure “Other motion events” is NOT checked. This will prevent unwanted notifications. I.e., you will only receive notifications for the specific AI types you are interested in. E.g., Person, Pet.
2 Likes

Event Recording=Detects Motion was on by default ( I think), and I figured that was required for AI detection to run.
What should Motion Sensitivity be set to, I think the default was 40, but I had changed that due to the wind.

Thanks for the assistance, this should help.

Event Recording Motion Detection is required in order to upload event videos to the cloud. So, you will still get all motion events in the Events Tab, however these can be hidden using the filter function.

Where you quiet the notifications is turning off the notifications for those motion only events.

Sensitivity is based on your specific use case, depth of field, lighting conditions, other moving objects like trees and bushes. This is something you will need to manually adjust to your comfort level. I have some at 30 some at 70 one at 100.

Set it high and slowly adjust it back until it is in the sweet spot.

On SD Card resolution/bit rate:

Is it possible to live stream/cloud upload in SD, but record to SD Card in HD?
I’ve tried changing the live stream to SD, but the bitrate drops to about half on SD recordings.

Ideally I’d like to drop bandwidth on live view/cloud if AI detection accuracy stayed the same, but maintain full HD continous recording on the SD card.

No. There is only one setting for video quality and it affects both uploaded video and MicroSD Card recorded video.

The chart for Target Bitrate actually shows with Live at 360p, you get Higher 1080p bitrate SD Card recording.
Must be a mistake though as it shows when Live is at HD, you get Lower 1080p bitrate SD Card recording.

Wonder if it’s ever been suggested to have Live and SD Card recording independent of each other.
Wyze could lower cloud storage significantly if they did that.

1 Like

I defy you to find settings that will keep my V3 from recording every palm frond sway even with the sensitivity all the way down to 10. My cameras are driving me bat crap. I’ve set it to only notify me on AI events but it thinks a sunshade and a palm frond are persons. I’m not a fan of these buggy cameras anymore. Constantly going offline

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @ConverterJoe!

It may be entirely possible that the sunshade and the palm frond are not what are being tagged as a person.

There is absolutely no way with any degree of certainty to look at a false AI tag and tell what object in that video is the tagged object. Wyze does not yet mark their tagged objects (it’s on the Wishlist).

The palm frond and sunshade may be creating the motion necessary to activate a motion event recording, and if you have the green motion tracking box on it may show these as motion, but that doesn’t mean that is what is being tagged as a person.

Your cam will motion activate on any motion created within the included Detection Zone. The cam firmware will then track that motion by adding the green track box if you have that feature enabled. As the cam records this motion activated event it is saving it to the SD Card if you have one inserted and enabled, while at the same time uploading the event video to the Wyze Servers so that the AI Bot on the server can interrogate the video for an AI object, in this case a person.

The AI Bot looks at ALL objects within the Included DZ…moving or not moving. It will return an AI positive tagged event if it thinks any object…moving or not, looks like a person.

I had this happening on one of my V3 that was facing the road. I only had Pet and Person AI enabled. I would get a Person event and notification every time a car went by. I kept asking: “Why is it tagging cars as people? This is crazy!”. Someone then took the time to explain to me how it works.

I started to inspect every single video. I wasn’t looking for things moving any more because that is just what activated the event. I was looking for non-moving objects that might resemble the general shape of something that might look like a person to someone who can only see shapes, not features.

I started using the DZ to exclude one object at a time. Nothing changed on a tree, the neighbors lamp post, etc. But then I excluded my mailbox that has a bush in front of it… a body with a head. The person notifications stopped. I found my mystery person.

Start by inspecting each video and slowly, over time, block out one object at a time until you find your mystery person.

I assumed (silly me) that the green tracking box was the item being tagged as a person. I hope that they will soon program it to mark the actual object that is being mistaken for a person. It’s gotten so bad that I either leave the cameras off or ignore the notifications completely, both bad options. I replaced my Toucan cameras with Wyze because I was sick of having to pull them down and recharge them all the time, but I’ve gotta say, I got WAY fewer false notifications with the Toucans. Oh, well. I’m not going to start from scratch with another brand so I guess I’ll just continue to play with them and hope it gets better.

1 Like