Reflective camera image on double pane windows

Wondering if anyone has solved this issue:

I use a window mount for a couple of my V3 cameras. I am attaching a picture depicting the camera reflection on the photo (or) video taken. Hopefully you can see the reflection of my camera in the image. If you look closely you will see the white “almost circle” that is actually the reflection of my V3. The image looks like vertical and horizontal whiteish bands. Each of the vertical bands run top to bottom of the image. The one on the right passes through the shed, Has anyone been able to eliminate or minimize this reflective image due to the window mount on a double pane window ?…tlhutch4

I have found darkening the room as much as possible helps cut down on the reflection. You might try putting a black t-shirt behind the camera as an experiment. If that helps, then brainstorm more permanent solutions.

Looks like you have white v3 cameras. Black silicone skins may also help cut down on reflection. Amazon.com

1 Like

I’m shooting several cameras through double pane windows. Getting the front of the camera pressed flat against the glass is what I did. Yes, that limits your viewing angle. Fortunately in my case I was shooting through a bay window, so there are three cameras - one in each of the three faces of the window. Gives good coverage that way.

1 Like

StephenA and K6CCC,
Good ideas for sure. I’m going to start by painting the front rim of my cam black since there is no room for a black silicone case in my window mount. Also the room can’t really be darkened conveniently.
Additionally, the cam is mounted in an angled window mount thus not allowing placing it flat against the window .
I’ll let you know how the painting idea works….tlhutch4

1 Like

BTW, on a V3 camera, the status light is on the front of the camera, so you MUST turn off the status LED when shooting through windows.

3 Likes

K6CCC
Thanks for the tip. I actually found that out the hard way a while ago when I was getting these white lights in the middle of my viewing area and couldn’t figure out why.
I had also made the mistake of leaving the IR lights on.

You may wanna check out some of @victormaletic recent posts, they have a lot of awesome solutions for mounting the cam at different angles while eliminating glare and reflection. You have to have access to a 3D printer however.

3 Likes

Hello All.
Maybe a piece of anti-glare glass (use over mounted portraits) to reduce distracting room reflections will work. But it may to be mounted on both pains. Otherwise use the black t-shirt or bkackout the entire room. The anti-glare glass cab purchased from arts and crafts stores.

3 Likes

As a follow up on my post about reflection of my V3 when using a window mount I am happy to note the following:

I was able to completely eliminate the reflection simply by painting the front only of the camera then replacing it in the window mount.

These 2 images show the before painting the front surround of the camera and after painting…tlhutch4

difference in the 2 pictures taken from my V3.

1 Like

Very interesting, Lurking for ideas .:wink: When I get some V3s, I think I’ll try some black stick on silicone strips or black tape like gorilla tape or similar and see how that works. Cut to fit.

I’m very interested in sticking a bunch in windows. Thanks all!:+1:

In addition, I see some generic or other window mounts on Amazon that cover the white and just the lens and already black portion of the OG and V3 are exposed. I’ll also look into those.

1 Like

My fellow Redditor said he shoots thru glass and screens. Do you think that will work ok for me with decent videos? Almost every window has external screens.

I have a bunch of V2 and V3 cameras that shoot though double pane windows and found that I could not shoot though portions of the windows that have screens on the outside. The screen shows up WAY too much.

1 Like

Here is some info on this thread about aiming through screens.

1 Like

Terrific and Thank you!

My glare issue is only at night and it is still there even when the room is pitch dark. It is more prevalent on the camera that looks out to my very dark yard but is not as bad on the camera that looks out front where the porch light is on at night. They are both white v3s in angle mounts, so I will try painting the front black. I have a couple of v2s in straight mounts and they work fine,

*Can someone tell me how to upload a picture here lol? I cannot figure it out for the life of me🤦‍♀️

1 Like

If anyone here is still interested in different ways to window mount cams, I would suggest doing a forum search for posts by @victormaletic. Victor is the reigning Subject Matter Expert when it comes to tips, tricks, design, fabrication, and How-to posts on mounting cams to windows.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @lesliedane14! :raising_hand_man:

Upload Button:

Or you can copy it from your gallery and paste it into the text entry field.

1 Like

I have 3 OGs looking out windows. Mine are straight though and if I’m not mistaken it’s best to have the cameras as close to the glass as possible and on an angle mounts I don’t believe they are. I also don’t have double pane glass, that I’m aware of…:thinking:

The OG mounts I bought put the lens almost against the glass.

I have been considering angle mounts and OG telephotos next to the standard models.

One OG looks at complete darkness. What I’ve also done, is added solar motion lights outside near the cameras and when motion occurs they light up and help the cameras see better, and me.

I guess you could hold one against the glass and see if the glare goes away or not.

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like