Recording of playback from a v3 cam - FAILED

Thanks for sharing your experience FlutterBy. I too am shocked that WYZE hasn’t provided an update. At least a “we are aware that this is a widespread issue” acknowledgement would be better than complete silence.

I don’t live in utopia and do not believe that I have unrealistic expectations. When I spoke with support earlier they told me that an RMA label usually takes a week or so to create. However, they have a huge RMA backlog right now and it may take a bit longer. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to read between the lines on that one. In other words, there are more people than ever having issues with WYZE products.

As many others have mentioned, it seems like it might be time for WYZE to press the brakes a bit and get things right before forging ahead with additional offerings like fans and outdoor weather stations.

A bit of a pain, but reinstalling the Wyze app followed by reinstalling an older version of the v3 Cam firmware worked for me. Here are the steps I took:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the Wyze app. This may be unecessary, it’s just what I did. You won’t need to re-setup other cameras.

2. Grab this v3 firmware version from the Wyze website: https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/v3/demo_wcv3_4.36.0.228.bin.zip

3. Extract the bin file and rename it to “demo_wcv3.bin”.

4. Remove and format your Camera’s micro SD card on a PC.

5. Copy “demo_wcv3.bin” firmware to the root directory of the micro SD card.

6. Place the micro SD card back into the camera.

7. While unplugged, press and hold the camera’s Setup button and plug the camera in.

8. Wait 5 seconds until the light on the front of the camera turns solid purple and then let go of the Setup button.

9. Wait 6 minutes or so for the firmware to flash.

10. Using the Wyze app, add device and set up the camera again as normal by pressing the camera’s Setup button and follow the prompts.

11. Once device is added, format the micro SD card using the Wyze app Advanced Setup option.

After performing these steps, to my surprise, the Playback Record function worked. Hopefully, this works for you too. Note, when I was prompted to upgrade the firmware, I ignored the offer. So far, so good.

2 Likes

I tried this on my cam that hasn’t been working. I also tried flashing it back to the previous version of firmware that is available for download. Neither re-flash fixed my issue. Thus I will proceed with my RMA as planned. Hopefully I get the return shipping label information soon.

Thanks for the suggestion though and I’m glad to hear it resolved your issue.
Regards,
Known1

Ok update from my end. I finally got to test all 7 cam v3 I bought with the 1 year subscription deal.

On setup I upgraded to latest firmware. All function of the 6 camera works, record during live, record during play back.

But the 7th camera can’t detect the micro sd card like others did. It is supposed to beep once it detect sd card is install but this gave no sound. I can’t record continuous to SD so I’m returning this one.

Only other thing I didn’t try yet is time-lapse on these v3. I’m assuming it will work though.

Anyone else have the SD not detected, suggestions before I put in RMA?

Thanks,
Y

Put in the rma.

1 Like

Same problem here. I have 3 v3 cameras, two I received in Dec. and one in Jan. Android phone and tablet. Continuous record. When I playback and try to record it says successful but all I get is a black screen.

Finally tried the 3rd cam I got in my Oct 28th order and It works fine recording playback.
Guess I will have to RMA the other 2 also, that’s a shame.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Isn’t that nuts? In that some work just fine and others do not. This has me thinking that the problem is related to a physical hardware issue. Unfortunately WYZE is still silent on this so all I/we can do is speculate.

It appears to be an Android issue since it doesn’t seem to be impacting iOS users. If so, that would seem to point to the combination of the camera’s firmware and app being deployed. Although unlikely, the version of Android could be a factor as well.

I used to think the same thing and you very well may be correct. However, I now think that there is also a hardware component of some sort involved. How else can one explain that some v3’s work and others do not while using the same app on X version of Android with all cams on the same version of firmware?

1 Like

Same problem here. I have 3 v3 cameras, two I received in Dec. and one in Jan. Android phone and tablet. Continuous record. When I playback and try to record it says successful but all I get is a black screen.

Has anyone received any comments from Wyze regarding this issue? Its been over a month

Thank you for sharing your experience Ramrod. The only thing I’ve heard from WYZE is posted further up in this thread. Essentially support acknowledged receiving my application log file and stated that they are looking into things.

In reality this issue was reported to WYZE prior to my case being opened (also mentioned further up in the thread). Thus we all have been waiting closer to two months for WYZE to chime in with an update.

If you can live without your cam(s), I suggest going the RMA route. With that said, It will take WYZE over 1 business week to come up with the return shipping label. (Slowest RMA process that I’ve dealt with and I’ve been in IT for a couple of decades.) As of now, I have been waiting a full week and hope to have my shipping label within the next week.

I have the same issue on 3 v3 cams. Download looks like this.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s been over a week since I requested my RMA and still don’t have a return shipping label. For those that do go the RMA route, be sure to recharge your patience prior to making the request.

Are you sure it’s a hardware problem? All 3 of my v3s have this issue. Different SD cards, same problem.

I suspect it’s an Android app problem.

I am not 100% certain/sure. However, if it’s not a hardware issue how do you explain my v3 that was ordered in December works perfectly fine, but the v3 that was ordered in October does not? I’ve swapped the SD card between the two and the problem sticks with the October cam.

Am I grasping? Yes I am. Has WYZE provided me with any information or updates regarding a fix? No they have not. WYZE told me I have two options. Wait for a firmware / application update and hope that fixes the issue OR request an RMA. So far there have been two firmware updates and at least as many application updates. The problem persists.

Now that I have my 2nd v3, which works perfectly, I can now afford to be without my defective unit while working through the RMA process.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I just logged in with an iPhone and recording worked fine. Android app in general has been giving me issues with connecting and playback so I can only assume this will need to be resolved with a software update.

Unsure why one works for you and another doesn’t though. Could be the app version used to register the device or something.

I’ve thought of that too…I’ve completed deleted the bad cam from my account and added it back in after doing a factory flash back to two different versions of firmware. Still no joy. Thanks for the well wishes and hopefully my return label comes in soon.