Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

To be clear: I don’t have any relationship to Wyze other than as a customer that has 2 v1 cameras and 2 v2 cameras.

If you want RTSP and possibly ONVIF and don’t care about cloud and notification, there are other inexpensive cameras available. I don’t understand the complaints when this isn’t an advertised feature of the Wyze.

Yes, it would be nice if there were open specs, but open specs is not a guarantee of third party support. If the camera is useless to you without RTSP, then the Wyze camera isn’t what you need. Maybe at some time in the future, Wyze may decide to support RSTP, but never buy a product on a “we are looking at the feasibility” as a commitment that it will be supported. It currently is not. And it really has nothing to do with “being a friendly company”. Wyze currently has many things it is working on, and limited staff to work on them.

Google openipc for a project that some people are working on to replace the firmware in the cameras with a version that has RTSP (and ssh). But using that will eliminate all the cloud features the Wyze cam has now. The last time I looked the v2 camera was not supported. And “supported” is probably not the correct word.

6 Likes