Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

I have dlink ptz cams that I can access with the dlink app just like wyze and I also have the same dlink cams connected to my Blue Iris server all functions work in both applications i’m thinking if dlink can do it why can’t Wyze do it without functionality sacrifice?

1 Like

I do not understand why it needs to be a separate firmware. Why couldn’t this just be a feature to be enabled?

I for one will also buy at least a dozen of these cams to replace my older IP cams. I love all of the current features of the Wyze cams, which I just bought one for testing for now, The lack of RTSP support has been the deal breaker for me. This is only because I use Blue Iris software for recording and reviewing and is also heavily integrated in my home/parents homes security setup. I have also designed custom interfaces that use the RTSP to stream live to a web site,

Also, If wyze built a door bell with RTSP, count me in for two. I have been thinking of building my own using a cannibalized wyze cam since Ring doorbells are a scam sucking in subscribers.

2 Likes

It’s called a revenue stream and it’s everybody’s goal. Everybody’s…

On another note, I just don’t understand this doorbell thing. I have a Wyzecam on my front porch and it acts like a ring doorbell only there is no button to push. Other than RTSP, which I won’t hold my breath for (see my previous answer), what does a doorbell get me? I have a stack of these Ring doorbell discount cards. The police give them out at our Neighborhood Watch meetings.

1 Like

The point of the doorbell is the button, sure I get alerts when someone is on my porch, but I also get false alerts or just package deliveries. Having a door bell with a button would let me know when I have a visitor or someone checking to see if I am home. The button would allow me to then use the two-way audio or execute a routine of actions, such as display the camera on my amazon echo or TV. I currently do all this now with a hacked amazon dash button, but I would like something better and more polished.

Fair enough. I guess I haven’t had mine long enough to become indifferent to all the false alarms.

The problem is that the ram in the cameras is limited and the RTSP code takes more ram than is free in the production firmware.

3 Likes

Other than RTSP, which I won’t hold my breath for

I’m assuming everyone got the email from Wyze CEO on the 31st where he stated they would be delivering on RTSP in 2019 (as well as Google home integration and an outdoor camera)

2 Likes

I keep meaning to read that. Thanks! I would love to be proven wrong.

I’ve been using Wyze PanCam app on my work PC with the 3rd party Bluestacks4 app emulator. Works great

1 Like

With the RSTP option you’re talking about we seem to lose a lot of the features of the camera to get one slightly less than true RSTP functionality. RSTP is suppose to allow access over the web so local only is not true RSTP. I’m also not a fan of the fact that it’s only going to be sort of supported. Fewer updates at a lower priority? So those customers that want a true RSTP option are not as important as everyone else?

I thought Rick explained it here:

What I can’t grasp is why TinyCam seems to be able to deliver a multi-camera viewer, but only if your running Android or an emulator. The hoops everyone is going through…

The “Android only” aspect of TinyCam is, I believe, just because they haven’t chosen to implement an iOS version. That may be because the developer is not competent in the iOS ecosystem, because they don’t like Apple’s app surcharge, or any number of other reasons.

1 Like

Agreed, but multi-cam viewing is obviously feasible (tinycam) and obviously in demand. #2 and #3 on the list. It is just strikes me as odd that people have to run an emulator on their pc to run an Android app to view their cameras. Neutering existing features by way of specialized firmware doesn’t seem the right approach if tinycam is already doing this. There should be a more direct way.

I have a furbo cam that has no ip access other than the app and one day playing with ispy it detected the furbo string with the admin user and password so I grabbed it and copied it down attached to the back of the furbo and set it up on blue iris I have not been able to extract the string again playing around but the furbo works on blue iris now so it must have been a fluke I’m hoping my Wyze will do that too on a fluke

How does the Wyzecam integration with Alexa manage to work? From the Amazon requirements for Alexa integration with a camera, the camera must support either an RTSP stream, or use webRTC to deliver the video.

A long time ago, I do recall that someone from Wyze had mentioned that RTSP support might get done in conjunction the alexa integration, but the integration arrived and RTSP did not.

I doubt wyzecam is using webRTC (as it would probably use more RAM, and if they were, they probably wouldn’t be depending on Throughtek or have issues supporting desktop viewing). Anyone know more?

1 Like

bummer design flaw… going forward hopefully it will be supported in future gens, ram is cheap as dirt new design will hopefully have more! hell i’d pay $25 for that! and I get it that there is an ironing out process where these things come to light Wyze makes great products for the $ value

You need only two things for me to be happy - stable as a rock RTSP and make sure the night mode automatically still works. Everything else is candy.

2 Likes

Port forwarding direct rtsp streams is not recommended at a security risk… you might instead want to use a vpn to authenticate you into the network and then use the rtsp stream.

1 Like

Well, they are not really the regular user and it would be wasteful for wyze to waste resources on a limited number of advanced users.

1 Like

Oh wow… Yeah, is it already there and undocumented? I don’t have a video enabled Alexa device, so I can’t sniff the traffic to see what they do. Anyone out there have one? If RTSP or WebRTC is already there then I’m going to do backflips.

1 Like